Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 11:06 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,897 times

Advertisements

Are there any accounting-related jobs in East Orange/Oviedo/Winter Springs areas?

I am thinking about going back to school and getting an accounting degree (Assosciates), it would probably only take a year. But I want to know about the job situation first . I want a short commute at most, as I won't be able to afford a place of my own, and I'm not willing to travel too far, especially to the downtown Orlando area, so I want to know about local jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 05:41 AM

143 posts, read 652,093 times
I recently graduated from UCF with an Accounting degree. I know that while I was in school, I worked a few part time jobs ranging from $10-$15 an hour. If you graduate with a two year degree, you can probably expect to make about this amount as a bookeeper or similar job. Get a four year degree and your pay can be expected to rise considerably. If you get your AA in accounting, you can roll that right into a bachelors program at UCF. This is way beyond the scope of your question though. In short, there are plenty of small businesses here that need bookeepers.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,539 times
Default No Associates in Accounting

I have my Assoc. degrees in Accounting, Marketing, and Business Administration. If all you are going after is an Assoc. degree-don't bother. Too many people have their Bachelor's degree, so Assoc. degrees are now pretty much worthless-in any field.

I'm overqualified for lower jobs like bookkeeping, receptionist.....and not qualified for true accounting positions.
When I went to college in the late 80's, Assoc. degrees were worth something and I figured getting three of them-relevant to one another-would leave me open for some job, somewhere. I quit my last job in May'07. Big mistake on my part-quitting my last job and getting an Assoc. degree-both!!!

Did you know that now, Bachelor's aren't much appeal on a resume, because once again, so many people have them. They say go for your Masters' if you want a job you won't have to live paycheck to paycheck. Where I live, jobs requiring Bachelor degrees start off at $8.30 - $10.00 @hr. Whoopee!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:11 AM

143 posts, read 652,093 times
What horrible kind of batchelor degree pays 8-10/hr? I was making that as a Freshen in college. I have a batchelors in Accounting, just graduated in May, and do quite well for fresh out of school. I have a friend who had something like a 2.6 GPA, and even he's doing OK. I know the outlook is different for different majors, and different people have different career choices, but even Liberal Arts grads can find decent launching pads. For instance: Target has an executive training program, and hires from all majors. The work is hard, the hours are long, and it is retail, but pays approx. 45K. And its great experience, or so the girl I dated who did this tells me. Bottom line: anyone who has a bachelors and is making $10/hr needs to not blame "the system" and ask themselves why they are only worth $10/hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando