Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:54 PM

12 posts, read 56,877 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a high school student and I am planning on going to Full Sail, I am also an African American ,and i was wondering if there is any African American people there.I am very scared that when i get there I might be the only African American in sight and all i want to do is feel belonged and understood.I heard that if you go to a white dominated place things tend to get very lonely and people are mean and sterotypical toward african americand and hispanics, and thats not what i want! someone please give me the info i need ,so i can be sure that im making the right choice about college,thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 09:17 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,214,257 times
Hi...Full Sail is a great school and I'm sure you'll enjoy it there. I don't think you need to worry about the race issue. Orlando is full of people of all ethnic varieties and most of us tend to be very open and accepting - especially among the younger generations. I used to live in the area not far from Full Sail and still frequently pass through and eat at the surrounding restaurants. I often run into Full Sail students and have met people of all types of backgrounds. My son is at UCF (University of Central Florida) but has worked as a recording engineer and knows a number of students and a couple of the instructors at Full Sail. If you have any other questions, I'm sure he would be happy to help.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:42 PM

Talking thanks

thanks your awssome,that really makes me feel alot better

Old 01-01-2007, 08:27 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,194,310 times
I will make a comment about Full Sail. Yes, it's a good school - I have a brother that used to assist in teaching in some of its recording studios. However, it is kind of a local joke that there are so many people going to Full Sail, and so few jobs available for those who complete the programs in their fields of interest. I've heard that Full Sail misleads people about job opportunities upon graduation. And, Full Sail isn't cheap!

You've been warned. Talk to former graduates - seek them out on your own, and don't believe all of the propaganda that Full Sail throws at you.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:48 PM

I have to agree with Prichard here. Lots of kids attend Full Sail....not all their graduates actually find jobs in their field. I have heard the field is saturated because there are so many Full Sail graduates in the area. That may not be an issue for you depending on your location, etc. I know a young man that graduated Full Sail that now works as a HeadHunter but I also know another young man that is working in computer animation at Disney. So, I'm not saying you won't find a job - it's just not guaranteed. But it's the same way with a college degree.

My son would have loved to attend Full Sail, but he chose to attend UCF and is now a senior pursuing a BS in Computer Science with minors in Math and S.C.A.N. (Secure Computer Administration and Networking). He still works with a couple of sound production companies as a sound engineer on various projects, but decided the chances were not good enough that he could make a good living doing that full time.

We're not trying to discourage you. Follow your dream. But also be smart and prepare yourself. Orlando has other college opportunities and after you establish residency they are not terribly expensive. The University of Central Florida has grown to become one of the largest universities in the country. Because of this the admission standards are quite high, but if a student graduates with an AA from one of the local community colleges - then UCF must admit them for their junior year. That doesn't mean they can get into the program or school of their choice, but they can get into UCF. We have a couple of good Community Colleges - Seminole Community College and Valencia (Full Sail is probably midway between the two). UCF is very close to Full Sail. They are both on University Blvd.

This is probably much more information that you wanted but you do need to consider all the possibilities available to you. Good LUCK!

Last edited by pianogal; 01-01-2007 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-01-2007, 08:58 PM

I forgot to add, my friend's son is the one who is working in computer animation. His salary is just OK about 30K a year...but it cost 30-60K to attend Full Sail depending on your program. My son's tuition for a semester at UCF is around 1800.00. That means his 4 year degree plus two minors will cost 21,600. (He will have gone 12 semesers including summers). Yet, he already has a job where he has the option to go full time when he graduates and will start at 50K+.

However, you must do what makes you HAPPY! So consider all this info and then follow your head AND your heart!

Old 01-02-2007, 07:32 PM

Question question

ok what do you think will happen if i go to full sail and move back to georgia,and get a job in atlanta,do you still think that my chance of doing what i want to do will be liklier

Old 01-02-2007, 08:38 PM

I don't know. You didn't say what you planned to study at Full Sail? Recording Engineering, computer graphics, other?

I would definitely check into the job market in the area you plan to live before you spend that kind of money.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,194,310 times
Twistedstorm, what is it exactly that you think you want to do?

Let me just offer a bit of advice. First, be very careful and thoughtful about what you want to do at this point in your life. Education is extremely important, much more so than you might think right now. I am a strong advocate of getting a 4 year degree from a good quality state school. UGA, UofF, FSU, UCF, and a number of other schools in the South East are truly excelent. A degree in business, accounting, engineering, building construction, architecture, or a number of other disciplines will open far more doors for job opportunities than the very expensive degree you will get from full sail. If after you get your 4 year degree, or even during that time, you want to take classes at Full Sail, then go for it. Or you might decide to go into medical, legal or other professions. At least these doors won't be closed to you. I just wouldn't put all of my eggs in the Full Sail basket.

I changed majors in college 3 times until I figured out what I wanted to concentrate my studies in. And, if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably major in something other than what I did. But, because I was a business major, with a real estate and finance background, I've had many doors open to me for employment. I use my accounting, finance, and real estate background more than I ever thought I would. My background lets me talk knowledgeably and confidently to bank executives, real estate professionals, appraisers, surveyors, accountants, business evaluators, and financial advisors. I don't care what field you end up in. At some point, if you are successful, you will find these people to be instrumental in your success. You can't get that at Full Sail.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:05 AM

Well I want to major in Film and Entertainment Business.And I am 100% sure this is what I want to do.I have been in media production since the 5th grade.I was in a morning broadcast for my school in the 8th. And currently I go to a high school with a GMR (Global Media Resources) magnet program.I am in a media production club and a SkillsUSA mediapro club,where we compete state and nationals every year,so I pretty certain thats what I want to do.My future plans is to become a director/writer/producer (movies & TV shows) ,but i dont know how to get there.Fisrt I wanted to go to A film school until people told me that that wouldnt help, then when i finally thought I found one that would people tell me that its not a s good as it sounds ,so now all i have is a dream but not a real goal because goals have steps to acheive them but i dont know what the steps are.And If I major in anything else I know I wont be happy, cause I want a career not a job.And even if that "job" pays 1 million dollars, to me it would still be a job, cause its not something im happy with.So as you probaly could tell I have a BIG problem.

Last edited by twistedstorm; 01-06-2007 at 12:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando