Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

I've noticed since relocating back to the area after being gone for quite some time that the mall situation has worsened in Seminole County, especially the north end. It seems odd given the build out and demographics of that area (lake Mary and Heathrow for instance) that the mall situation is kind of lame. Seminole Town Center seems to be on a downward spiral with one lost anchor (Belk) and many vacancies. Many of the existing stores are somewhat questionable as well, a Dollar Store, nail salons and downmarket clothing stores for example. Having to drive to Milennia, Florida Mall or Park Ave-Winter Park for many national retailers is kind of a distance. It almost seems like despite the demographic, there isn't any support for a better option...??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 11:46 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I've noticed since relocating back to the area after being gone for quite some time that the mall situation has worsened in Seminole County, especially the north end. It seems odd given the build out and demographics of that area (lake Mary and Heathrow for instance) that the mall situation is kind of lame. Seminole Town Center seems to be on a downward spiral with one lost anchor (Belk) and many vacancies. Many of the existing stores are somewhat questionable as well, a Dollar Store, nail salons and downmarket clothing stores for example. Having to drive to Milennia, Florida Mall or Park Ave-Winter Park for many national retailers is kind of a distance. It almost seems like despite the demographic, there isn't any support for a better option...??
I'm just curious. What "demographic" are you talking about?

I'll concede Lake Mary and Heathrow are nice areas, but for the most part they are well serviced by what's immediately near them. As a whole, north Seminole is not JUST those areas and Sanford (which impresses me as a LOT more diverse) is a lot bigger then all of them. I have just as much data to prove my point as you do in your OP, but I think that what's happening up there is VERY reflective of the people they are servicing. That's not a BAD thing, it's just life. Times are hard for most everyone, especially those under $200K/year.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:15 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
I think it's more a product of history than anything else. For some reason, Seminole county malls have historically never been that successful, other than Altamonte Mall. Seminole Towne Center, even in better economic times really never took off as some imagined it would. I have friends now who live in north seminole, south Volusia who still prefer to drive into Orlando or further south to shop. Even when they do stay in Seminole it's at Altamonte Mall.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 12,037 times
Default Seminole Town Center ?

Anyone have any idea of the traffic/attendance or $$$ per square foot for Seminole Town Center in Sanford, FL?

Thank you so much

Old 07-26-2014, 10:35 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
As of late May the mall was sold and no longer a Simon Property. It was evident something was up given nothing has been done to the mall in terms of upkeep or remodel since it opened. The new owner is Washington Prime Group which also owns Waterford Lakes. Hopefully they'll spend a dime or two to remodel, unlike Simon.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:45 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
I've always liked Seminole Towne Center better than Altamonte Mall (Altamonte Mall seems too much like a teen's hangout spot than a shopping mall.)
However, I am one of those who has always preferred to drive down to Millennia. Florida Mall is too crowded, and the Seminole County malls just never appealed to me.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:51 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
This is a national trend.

Shopping in a mall isn't the necessity it may have once been due to online presence, rather it is now an experience- and only the biggest most glamorous malls tend to succeed.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:32 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,117 times
The Altamonte Mall significantly outperforms all other malls in Seminole County, its in a prime location in area with booming development and easy access to I-4 and nearby metropolis of Orange County. The Seminole Towne Center is poorly located, is dated (lack of renovation in years), and has suffered from competition from malls as close as Altamonte to as far as Millenia.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:45 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Did we forget about the Altamonte Mall bro?

I'm not a fan of malls and wouldn't mind Oviedo and STC closing altogether. One really good suburban mall with tons of satellite retail, restaurants, and entertainment is enough.

Plus Altamonte Mall is within 20 minutes of the northern county line, and 5 minutes of the southern boundary, so it's not exactly a hike for anyone in Seminole County who is centrally located near I4.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Did we forget about the Altamonte Mall bro?

I'm not a fan of malls and wouldn't mind Oviedo and STC closing altogether. One really good suburban mall with tons of satellite retail, restaurants, and entertainment is enough.

Plus Altamonte Mall is within 20 minutes of the northern county line, and 5 minutes of the southern boundary, so it's not exactly a hike for anyone in Seminole County who is centrally located near I4.
I have actually always been more of a fan of STC than Altamonte Mall... lol...
Altamonte Mall's parking lot is a nightmare, and it's always overrun by HS teens... Annoying...
Now I DO like Uptown Altamonte, even though it doesn't qualify as a mall. There's a beautiful design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando