Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
There are also some water parks in Orlando that are a lot of fun. They all have kids areas.
That's what I would do,no gators at Aquatica or Typhoon Lagoon.The springs in Florida are also not gator free,you have to be wary of them in any body of water.Remember what Momma said,"gators are so angry cause they got all them teeth and no toothbrush".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Swim in clear spring fed water... It doesn't guarantee there won't be any, but it limits the odds and you'll at least be able to see them.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:24 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
not much into lakes--- we have bacterias that might make her sick- take her to wet in wild - kids see water normally want to get in- we are full of "live" things in FL- and is it a real lake or our ponds?

Old 03-10-2015, 09:50 PM

649 posts, read 570,591 times
I'm terrified of gators but I'll swim in some springs as long as there are a lot of people around. I've always felt pretty safe swimming in them. From my understanding the spring water is too cold for the gators anyway. At least that's what I tell myself.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but I would never let a child play near the edge of a river or lake in Florida. May people do but to me it's not worth the risk.

I'd say your pretty safe in a boat or on a dock. Just be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:40 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
That's what I would do,no gators at Aquatica or Typhoon Lagoon.The springs in Florida are also not gator free,you have to be wary of them in any body of water.Remember what Momma said,"gators are so angry cause they got all them teeth and no toothbrush".
I would think Rock Springs is too cold and crowded for reptiles? I may be wrong, but it would seem odd to see one in there.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:49 AM

782 posts, read 1,369,281 times
I used to go lake swimming at summer camp up in Ocala, and while we saw gators in the lake at night, they tended to avoid contact with humans unless people in the area have been feeding them. Now snakes and spiders…nasty little buggers.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:50 AM

9 posts, read 18,724 times
Well NOW I seethe warnings about the Rock Springs possibly having gators too! We went swimming there a few days ago lol. There were loads of people though, you can see the water, and it hardly seems deep enough for gators to even be. We may check out Wekiwa Springs State Park which also has swimming apparently. Thanks again for your replies!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:46 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Traveller View Post
Well NOW I seethe warnings about the Rock Springs possibly having gators too! We went swimming there a few days ago lol. There were loads of people though, you can see the water, and it hardly seems deep enough for gators to even be. We may check out Wekiwa Springs State Park which also has swimming apparently. Thanks again for your replies!
Wekiva Springs State Park will have more living things in it than Rock Springs.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:54 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
There are also pygmy rattlesnakes that like to hang out in landscaping but they generally don't want to mess with something as big as a human (snakes in general save for the giant species usually don't) If you're in an area with a lot of plants and shrubbery, don't let the small human grab a flower or palm frond without eyeballing the area yourself first, and stomping as you walk through a garden area lets the snakes know you're nearby so they can slither away safely for everyone.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:36 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Traveller View Post
I was hoping there was gator/snake free lakes or rivers around but I guess we will just take a day trip to the beaches instead! Flea market sounds fun, thanks for the tip
Watch out for the sharks......Hehe....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando