Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,464 times

Advertisements

In about 2 years I will be moving to somewhere in the Orlando area from New Jersey (close to Philadelphia) after my son graduates from college. We are visiting Orlando in September and I have allocated (2) days to look at homes. My wife and I are both 53 so a retirement community is also a consideration, she prefers a place with an activity center since she will know nobody here in this area. I'll need a single family home with 4 bedrooms, preferably one floor. I am bring my aging parents 82 and 86 with me along with my son who hopes to find a job as a math teacher for middle or high school.

I have no idea what is a safe area but I saw some past posts of zipcodes so I'll look at them. Looking for probably a gated community for security reasons.

My last requirement is that my wife and I would like to work at Disney part-time. Yeah, everyone will probably laugh but it has always been our dream. I'm an executive now but can't wait to give it all up and work in a gift shop or something helping families. Probably say 45 minute drive or less would be fine.

Thanks for any help or comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:29 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgabriele1 View Post
In about 2 years I will be moving to somewhere in the Orlando area from New Jersey (close to Philadelphia) after my son graduates from college. We are visiting Orlando in September and I have allocated (2) days to look at homes. My wife and I are both 53 so a retirement community is also a consideration, she prefers a place with an activity center since she will know nobody here in this area. I'll need a single family home with 4 bedrooms, preferably one floor. I am bring my aging parents 82 and 86 with me along with my son who hopes to find a job as a math teacher for middle or high school.

I have no idea what is a safe area but I saw some past posts of zipcodes so I'll look at them. Looking for probably a gated community for security reasons.

My last requirement is that my wife and I would like to work at Disney part-time. Yeah, everyone will probably laugh but it has always been our dream. I'm an executive now but can't wait to give it all up and work in a gift shop or something helping families. Probably say 45 minute drive or less would be fine.

Thanks for any help or comments.
What is your price range for a 4 bedroom home in a gated community? Home prices can be all over the map here.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:20 AM

78 posts, read 120,625 times
Question schools vs driving distances

First question is what distances can you tolerate being from Disney? Are any school districts off the table,eg Seminole county or Orange county?

Old 04-05-2015, 09:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Kings Ridge and Heritage Hills in Clermont will give you everything you are looking for.

30 minutes to Disney (many commute from this area), gated communities (Kings Ridge is like Fort Knox!), plenty of math teacher opportunities in Lake County schools, and the activity center/club house at Kings Ridge is hopping!

You could also look in Legends, also in Clermont, also gated and guarded, also lots of activities at the clubhouse. Not 55+, but plenty of retirees.

I'd add in a piece of advice... Your son will probably not live with you forever, so you might want to consider that when thinking about whether you actually need four BR's, or if three would be enough.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:29 PM

5 posts, read 6,915 times
What exit? Hehe, my Uncle has some friends that just moved from the Cherry Hill area and love it here, let me know if you need any help with some suggestions. P.m me and I'll put you Intouch with them and maybe they can give you some advice, very nice people I might add.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,464 times
Looking to spend no more than $300K on a home. I want to break-even with my home here. Distance wise probably no more than say 30-40 max with traffic.

I did notice that housing is all over the place, it seems in some areas you go a couple of miles or down the road and the pricing jumps up considerably.

4 bedrooms - yeah I want less but bring parents and kid with me will required the 4 bedrooms unless I found a home that is 3 bedrooms and living room. Parents need 2 rooms, one for bed and other to watch tv.

I'm off the first exit for the Atlantic City expressway, Crosskeys.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:17 AM

83 posts, read 168,650 times
Quote:
Looking to spend no more than $300K on a home. I want to break-even with my home here. Distance wise probably no more than say 30-40 max with traffic.

I did notice that housing is all over the place, it seems in some areas you go a couple of miles or down the road and the pricing jumps up considerably.

4 bedrooms - yeah I want less but bring parents and kid with me will required the 4 bedrooms unless I found a home that is 3 bedrooms and living room. Parents need 2 rooms, one for bed and other to watch tv.

With your budget, I would also suggest you to look at Clermont. Lots of people working in Disney live here. Lake County schools are bad, with that said, they are in a big need for GOOD teachers. Although, it is not that easy to land a teaching job here.

I would suggest you that, in addition to 4 bedroom homes, you look for 3-bedroom with heated sqft area around 2,000. In those instances, many homes will have a bonus room, or den, or office that does not count as a bedroom. This way, you will increase the pool of your options and will have some playroom for the price.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Regency Hills, Hartwood Pines (not gated), Hartwood Reserve, Southern Fields. Somerset, Hills of Clermont, Overloook at Lake Louisa, Foxchase, there are probably a dozen more that are all in a good, safe part of Clermont and many Disney employees live in these neighborhoods. They should all be at or under $300K.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha_DrPhillips View Post
With your budget, I would also suggest you to look at Clermont. Lots of people working in Disney live here. Lake County schools are bad, with that said, they are in a big need for GOOD teachers. Although, it is not that easy to land a teaching job here.

I would suggest you that, in addition to 4 bedroom homes, you look for 3-bedroom with heated sqft area around 2,000. In those instances, many homes will have a bonus room, or den, or office that does not count as a bedroom. This way, you will increase the pool of your options and will have some playroom for the price.
Actually Lake County schools are NOT overall bad, and there are many "A" rated schools here. There are definitely ongoing opportunities for middle school math teachers.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:23 PM

83 posts, read 168,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually Lake County schools are NOT overall bad, and there are many "A" rated schools here. There are definitely ongoing opportunities for middle school math teachers.
Annerk, thank you for your post! Do you mind sharing which schools are rated "A"? All of the schools I've checked had the rating of 4 out of 10, that's why I'm under the impression the schools are fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando