Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2015, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,948 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My son is moving to Orlando to attend the culinary arts major at Valencia College - West. I have been researching the crime rates in Metro West and am really concerned about relocating him there (from California).

If he goes to class at the campus, is there a safe place for him to live and to work off campus? In Metro West itself or outside Metro West?

He does not drive, so he would ride his bike to/from school. The idea of having him cycle through the ghetto (where is that) keeps me up at night.

Should he have a car? Will that be safer?

Also, if we decided to buy a home for him to live in, with the idea to either rent it out when he graduates or sell it, which neighborhoods should I be looking in?

Anyone know any good realtors?

I know it is a lot of questions, but I am really concerned.

I have read previous posts, but they are all 5-7 years old, at least the ones I found, and the crime stats have changed since then.

Thanks!
-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 01:26 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedmom19 View Post
Hi there,

My son is moving to Orlando to attend the culinary arts major at Valencia College - West. I have been researching the crime rates in Metro West and am really concerned about relocating him there (from California).

If he goes to class at the campus, is there a safe place for him to live and to work off campus? In Metro West itself or outside Metro West?

He does not drive, so he would ride his bike to/from school. The idea of having him cycle through the ghetto (where is that) keeps me up at night.

Should he have a car? Will that be safer?

Also, if we decided to buy a home for him to live in, with the idea to either rent it out when he graduates or sell it, which neighborhoods should I be looking in?

Anyone know any good realtors?

I know it is a lot of questions, but I am really concerned.

I have read previous posts, but they are all 5-7 years old, at least the ones I found, and the crime stats have changed since then.

Thanks!
-D
There are apartments literally on the Valencia West campus.
In addition, while Metro West does have quite its share of crime, if he sticks to the main roads (Kirkman, especially) he'll be fine. Nearby Pine Hills to the North is the only area I'd really consider "ghetto," and again, if he sticks to the main roads (Hiawassee, Kirkman, W Colonial) he'll be just fine.
That said, I don't recommend he venture out on foot anywhere North of Old Winter Garden Rd. at night, at all, but he should have very little reason to anyway.

I always recommend folks have a car here, even if just a very cheap one. The bike is likely to get stolen, to be honest.
The Metro West area has a decent bus system that will take him straight to Valencia. There's a stop at the center of the campus itself. LOTS of student use it. I'd recommend that over riding a bike.

Just don't be too concerned. It's a somewhat seedy area, but a lot of it has to do with the relatively high concentration of young folks, and the fact that it's a gateway to the Universal area. I went to school there and never had any issues in the area.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:53 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
Kirkman apartments are bad news. A friend of mine who lived on Kikrman had his broken into twice. A co-worker who lived in the same complex also told me she was broken into. Yikes. I would steer clear of apartments in that area. He'll be much better off with a car.

Dr. Phillips and Windermere are the closest nice areas to MetroWest.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:09 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
It always advisable to have a car in Central Florida. Also with a car that opens up so many more places he could live. Some good places nearby include Dr. Phillips, Williamsburg and downtown or Winter Garden if he doesn't mind commuting about 20 mins on the expressway. I would avoid the apartments on Kirkman, I just haven't heard much good about them lately. Metrowest itself is not bad as long as you stay further away from the Wal-Mart.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:05 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
if he sticks to the main roads (Hiawassee, Kirkman, W Colonial) he'll be just fine.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:26 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
You need a car in Central Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando