Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,765 times

Advertisements

I am potentially moving to the Orlando area with my husband and children by the end of the school year. We are still scoping out potential neighborhoods we may want to purchase a home in, and have a few questions.

We are looking at a house in a neighborhood that I believe is called Wesmere. It is bordered by Windermere Road/429 on the west, turnpike on the north, Maguire Road on the east and Roberson Road on the south. The zip code is 34761. It appears to be quite convenient to where my spouse would be working. What is this area like? Safe, family friendly? The zoned schools are Westbrooke Elementary, SunRidge Middle, and West Orange High School. Would anyone care to comment on these schools? Also, I have been reading about the "relief" school to West Orange High School - would this area go to the new high school or West Orange?

We will be in Orlando at the end of the month for a look-see and have this area on our list to check out, but I figured it would be helpful to get some preliminary information before we go. I've been doing a lot of research on this forum and I'm having a rather hard time getting a "read" on what this area is like. Seems like it's surrounded by some very nice areas and some not-so-nice ones, so I'm not sure in which category it falls.

Also- what is the market for nurse practitioners in Orlando? If we do end up moving to Orlando, I plan to stay home with the children, at least until we get settled in. But, eventually I plan to return to the workforce so I'm wondering what the situation there is.

Thank you!

Last edited by IrishBear2; 02-17-2016 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 11:16 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,514,701 times
I know a family who have lived in Wesmere for like 20 years now; they raised their son there and I don't believe they've ever had any issues. The area to the north/northeast isn't so great, but I don't think you'd have any problems. Even though the address is Ocoee, it practically blends in with Windermere which begins directly south of Roberson Road. As for schools, Westbrooke and SunRidge are highly rated, but West Orange is not, and I don't believe that area will be zoned for the new HS. Their son attended a better magnet school to get out of attending West Orange (which is an option available to all Orange County residents if the child gets into their desired program).

Old 02-19-2016, 07:06 AM

215 posts, read 280,043 times
here's an article with the link to the zone maps. IT would appear to be West Orange in all maps except one that puts that area in Ocoee HS. Last I heard I think they were leaning towards option 2.

Relief high rezoning maps unveiled | West Orange Times & Observer | Orange Observer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: