Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran12882 View Post
Thanks for all the tip. My co-worker also purchase the WDW 5 day ticket with hopper thruticketsatwork.com and went during spring break so I'm not to worry. Will check out some of the restaurants mention above. I have also heard story about people bringing in a small cooler without any issue, is that true? What would be the normal cost to eat inside the park for party of 6 for 5 straight day at 1 meal a day? Should we get there before it open to beat the traffic? How does the fast pass work? If I buy the ticket in advance can I arrange the time slot for the ride? Which ride usually have the longest wait time at each theme park? Is there a height restriction on the ride? Don't want to stay in line for hour or two and come to find out the kids can't ride on them. That would really suck!
I would check out Disney's website and explore the attractions at each park. Yes, there are height restrictions/health restrictions at every ride and they are all very varied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 08:19 PM

698 posts, read 959,543 times
If you stay at a hotel on Disney property renting a car is optional, Disney provides free transportation from the airport and on site.

I agree with the others to join one of the Disney message boards, there are several and get yourself a good book. I love the Birnbaum's official guide to Walt Disney World, especially for first timers.

Have a great time and whatever you do just take your time and enjoy. Remember you can't/won't see and do it all on your first trip.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:09 PM

341 posts, read 302,322 times
I rent a car every time I go now, even though I stay on property. The free transportation is fine, but at the time you're going the buses, monorails, even ferries are very crowded. Taking a car between parks is 15-30 minutes. A bus can sometimes take you well over an hour to get to your destination. The one exception is when you drive to the Magic Kingdom, you're going to have to take a tram to the TTC, then either a ferry or monorail to the park. When you stay on property, you don't have to pay to park anywhere on property. If you stay at a hotel off Disney property, budget in $17/day for parking if you drive in.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:54 PM

698 posts, read 959,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
If you stay at a hotel off Disney property, budget in $17/day for parking if you drive in.
Parking went up to $20 recently

Old 04-17-2016, 10:25 AM

60 posts, read 70,618 times
I'll chime in with the Disney tips as a local native with passes who goes pretty much all the time.

Tip #1: If you're driving, park at Epcot and monorail to Magic Kingdom (and don't forget about parking fees). When you leave Magic Kingdom, take the "Resort" monorail (contemporary resort), not the Epcot monorail - both monorails go to Epcot, but the resort line is always shorter.

Tip #2: Buy two admissions passes per person (the second one can be a cheaper one that's the pass-only, not the hotel and all the extras). When you buy a ticket, you get 3 fast passes, all limited to the same park. This is garbage. By buying two tickets, each person gets 6 fast passes, and you can either overlap them at the same park, or get two sets of passes at two different parks. The difference this makes on your day is substantial if you can't afford the VIP tours. If you can't afford to do this, then buy alcohol to help you deal with the frustration of standing among the unwashed masses all day. Actually, buy alcohol as soon as you walk into the park regardless (not before, they won't let you bring it through the front gate).

Tip #3: Reserve your fast passes immediately. As tourists, you get to reserve your fast passes 60 days in advance. Annual passholders only get 30 days. Use this advantage. I recommend reserving Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, and the Mine Train, as those always have the longest lines. Thunder Mountain can be long, but is usually much shorter than the rest. Splash Mountain gets shorter at night. The Aerosmith roller coaster at Hollywood Studios is always long, so reserve that. Tower of Terror can be long too in peak season. Don't bother reserving the car ballet show (have they closed that yet?), as the fast pass doesn't really accomplish anything - showing up early does. At Epcot, Spaceship Earth, Test Track, and Living with the Land are long lines, in that order. The Ellen ride runs at regular intervals, so just show up early to one and you'll be fine (it's fun and has dinosuaurs). At Animal Kingdom, Expedition Everest has the longest lines.

Tip #4: This is Florida and it rains here. In June, it will probably rain at least once per day. The afternoon showers last just a few minutes. Prepare accordingly.

Tip #5: Use the Disney app. It's quirky, but it's useful. It will show you attraction times, restrictions, current line wait times, and help you navigate the park. You can also use it to make fast pass reservations (sub-tip: reserve all the rides you want for one person, then use the "copy my passes" to apply your selections to the whole group; if the "copy" feature doesn't work, it's because they don't have enough passes to extend to your whole family, but if you call the Disney number, they will copy your passes to your family anyway).

Tip #6: Don't bring a selfie stick - they're banned.

Tip #7: Not everything needs to be photographed. When you run your bright glowing phone to record the entirety of a dark ride, you ruin the ride. When you hold your arm outstretched over your head or outside the car/train/boat to photograph some part of it 2 feet closer, or to take your dumb selfie, you ruin the ride. Nobody wants to spend the ride looking at your dumb chubby arm and bright phone in the middle of their view. There are professional recordings and photographs of everything that has ever existed at Disney. Nobody needs your crappy pictures. Stop trying to photograph everything and just enjoy the atmosphere.

Tip #8: Don't wear things that can fall off. This includes flip flops, glasses without a band, ear pieces, loose change in your pocket, etc. Fanny packs are awesome, as are cargo shorts with button/velcro pockets. Otherwise, you'll either lose everything that's loose or spend half the day stowing and retrieving it at various lockers, baskets, and other junk storage locations.

Tip #9: Learn Disney's mass transit system. In addition to my parking suggestion above, learn how to travel between parks. For example, the fastest way from the ticketing center to Magic Kingdom is by bus, the most enjoyable is by ferry. The easiest way to go between Hollywood Studios and Epcot is by boat. Learn the transportation systems and where they are located, or you'll spend 1-2 hours at each park trying to figure out how to get to your next destination.

Tip #10: Dress light and bring deodorant and sunscreen. So many smelly tourists don't consider how much they're going to sweat when they spend 10 hours walking under the baking sun. Because it will likely rain and you'll likely ride something wet, dressing light helps you dry faster.

Tip #11: Unless you don't mind eating while standing outside, pay for dining reservations. Every dining location during peak times gets overcrowded and runs out of seating.

Tip #12: Get waterproof cases for your phones.

Tip #13: Use the magic bands (the wrist bands). They can be used for park entry, fast-pass entry, dining reservations, in-park purchases, pretty much everything, and they're easier to keep attached than a card, ticket, or phone.

Tip #14: REMEMBER WHERE YOU PARKED! Write it down, enter it on your phone, or use one of those "remember where I parked" apps. Furthermore, when you get on the tram to take you from the parking lot to the park entrance, duck your head. Seriously, every tourist family bangs their heads on the ceiling of the tram. It's fun for me watch, but it sets the tone for the rest of their day when they bash their head and get mad.

Tip #15: If you have a military member in your family, nearby SeaWorld offers some steep discounts and has far superior shows, rides, shorter lines, and lower prices if Disney isn't working out for you. The quick-queue is a fast-pass that lasts all day for all rides. The reserved seating gets you front-center at most shows. If you go, I recommend bringing a roll of quarters to use the cannons outside the Journey to Atlantis ride. SeaWorld is, in my opinion, a MUCH better experience than any of the other theme parks.

Tip #16: IT'S NOT THAT SERIOUS. Remember that you're at Disney and nothing is a big deal. Don't scream at your kids, don't pick fights with other tourists, don't trample over people in your way, don't shove past everyone as if your time is more valuable than theirs. It's just a day at the park. Calm your **** and enjoy yourself!

Old 04-17-2016, 02:20 PM

499 posts, read 585,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberwulu View Post
I'll chime in with the Disney tips as a local native with passes who goes pretty much all the time.

Tip #1: If you're driving, park at Epcot and monorail to Magic Kingdom (and don't forget about parking fees). When you leave Magic Kingdom, take the "Resort" monorail (contemporary resort), not the Epcot monorail - both monorails go to Epcot, but the resort line is always shorter.

Tip #2: Buy two admissions passes per person (the second one can be a cheaper one that's the pass-only, not the hotel and all the extras). When you buy a ticket, you get 3 fast passes, all limited to the same park. This is garbage. By buying two tickets, each person gets 6 fast passes, and you can either overlap them at the same park, or get two sets of passes at two different parks. The difference this makes on your day is substantial if you can't afford the VIP tours. If you can't afford to do this, then buy alcohol to help you deal with the frustration of standing among the unwashed masses all day. Actually, buy alcohol as soon as you walk into the park regardless (not before, they won't let you bring it through the front gate).

Tip #3: Reserve your fast passes immediately. As tourists, you get to reserve your fast passes 60 days in advance. Annual passholders only get 30 days. Use this advantage. I recommend reserving Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, and the Mine Train, as those always have the longest lines. Thunder Mountain can be long, but is usually much shorter than the rest. Splash Mountain gets shorter at night. The Aerosmith roller coaster at Hollywood Studios is always long, so reserve that. Tower of Terror can be long too in peak season. Don't bother reserving the car ballet show (have they closed that yet?), as the fast pass doesn't really accomplish anything - showing up early does. At Epcot, Spaceship Earth, Test Track, and Living with the Land are long lines, in that order. The Ellen ride runs at regular intervals, so just show up early to one and you'll be fine (it's fun and has dinosuaurs). At Animal Kingdom, Expedition Everest has the longest lines.

Tip #4: This is Florida and it rains here. In June, it will probably rain at least once per day. The afternoon showers last just a few minutes. Prepare accordingly.

Tip #5: Use the Disney app. It's quirky, but it's useful. It will show you attraction times, restrictions, current line wait times, and help you navigate the park. You can also use it to make fast pass reservations (sub-tip: reserve all the rides you want for one person, then use the "copy my passes" to apply your selections to the whole group; if the "copy" feature doesn't work, it's because they don't have enough passes to extend to your whole family, but if you call the Disney number, they will copy your passes to your family anyway).

Tip #6: Don't bring a selfie stick - they're banned.

Tip #7: Not everything needs to be photographed. When you run your bright glowing phone to record the entirety of a dark ride, you ruin the ride. When you hold your arm outstretched over your head or outside the car/train/boat to photograph some part of it 2 feet closer, or to take your dumb selfie, you ruin the ride. Nobody wants to spend the ride looking at your dumb chubby arm and bright phone in the middle of their view. There are professional recordings and photographs of everything that has ever existed at Disney. Nobody needs your crappy pictures. Stop trying to photograph everything and just enjoy the atmosphere.

Tip #8: Don't wear things that can fall off. This includes flip flops, glasses without a band, ear pieces, loose change in your pocket, etc. Fanny packs are awesome, as are cargo shorts with button/velcro pockets. Otherwise, you'll either lose everything that's loose or spend half the day stowing and retrieving it at various lockers, baskets, and other junk storage locations.

Tip #9: Learn Disney's mass transit system. In addition to my parking suggestion above, learn how to travel between parks. For example, the fastest way from the ticketing center to Magic Kingdom is by bus, the most enjoyable is by ferry. The easiest way to go between Hollywood Studios and Epcot is by boat. Learn the transportation systems and where they are located, or you'll spend 1-2 hours at each park trying to figure out how to get to your next destination.

Tip #10: Dress light and bring deodorant and sunscreen. So many smelly tourists don't consider how much they're going to sweat when they spend 10 hours walking under the baking sun. Because it will likely rain and you'll likely ride something wet, dressing light helps you dry faster.

Tip #11: Unless you don't mind eating while standing outside, pay for dining reservations. Every dining location during peak times gets overcrowded and runs out of seating.

Tip #12: Get waterproof cases for your phones.

Tip #13: Use the magic bands (the wrist bands). They can be used for park entry, fast-pass entry, dining reservations, in-park purchases, pretty much everything, and they're easier to keep attached than a card, ticket, or phone.

Tip #14: REMEMBER WHERE YOU PARKED! Write it down, enter it on your phone, or use one of those "remember where I parked" apps. Furthermore, when you get on the tram to take you from the parking lot to the park entrance, duck your head. Seriously, every tourist family bangs their heads on the ceiling of the tram. It's fun for me watch, but it sets the tone for the rest of their day when they bash their head and get mad.

Tip #15: If you have a military member in your family, nearby SeaWorld offers some steep discounts and has far superior shows, rides, shorter lines, and lower prices if Disney isn't working out for you. The quick-queue is a fast-pass that lasts all day for all rides. The reserved seating gets you front-center at most shows. If you go, I recommend bringing a roll of quarters to use the cannons outside the Journey to Atlantis ride. SeaWorld is, in my opinion, a MUCH better experience than any of the other theme parks.

Tip #16: IT'S NOT THAT SERIOUS. Remember that you're at Disney and nothing is a big deal. Don't scream at your kids, don't pick fights with other tourists, don't trample over people in your way, don't shove past everyone as if your time is more valuable than theirs. It's just a day at the park. Calm your **** and enjoy yourself!
AWESOME post!!!! We are going to Disney in May (our first time as FL residents) and all of these tips are incredibly helpful! Please post more or DM me if you think of more. Thank you for posting!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando