Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 AM

64 posts, read 145,259 times

Advertisements

Hi Orlando, hi everyone,
I just come back from my Orlando/Clermont house and I feel FL homesick. I need your advice. I am fixing my FL foreclosure house with plan to move in next 12 months, or sooner. I have good job here in IA (40 000/year), but my beautiful wife has serious walking/balance problem related to permanent health condition (brain damage/disease) and she is on SSDI. Moving to Orlando can improve her mobility (no snow), and quality of our life in general. We have two kids (8 and 12). We did make decision to move for less in phases, but to have better climate. She will have Medicare. I need some help and advice. Once I move, I will spend time to help my wife and take care of kids and, most likely, I will be able to work only part-time job. Do you know any part-time job with good health benefits? Do disabled people with brain disease get any help in FL?
Thanks for your help

Last edited by Zoro22; 01-05-2011 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Publix and Disney both offer health plans ot P/T employees.

I'm not sure of what type of help you are referring to--your wife gets Federal benefits, I doubt she'd qualify for anything more through the State of FL.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Thanks a lot for help Annerk...Good to know about Publix and Disney P/T benefits.
Regard. wife...Some states have special vocational/rehabilitation job trainings with people with disabilities, or some states have caretaker benefits, Medicaid or prescription drug benefits for brain/spinal diseases expensive medication, etc. But, I believe I will figure out my self one day anyway. Thanks…

Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Ups

Office of vocational rehabilitation to go back to school and get training for a job.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:59 PM

Florida Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (http://www.rehabworks.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=SubMain.About - broken link)

Thanks Becky for tip I found it

Old 01-06-2011, 03:45 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro22 View Post
Hi Orlando, hi everyone,
I just come back from my Orlando/Clermont house and I feel FL homesick. I need your advice. I am fixing my FL foreclosure house with plan to move in next 12 months, or sooner. I have good job here in IA (40 000/year), but my beautiful wife has serious walking/balance problem related to permanent health condition (brain damage/disease) and she is on SSDI. Moving to Orlando can improve her mobility (no snow), and quality of our life in general. We have two kids (8 and 12). We did make decision to move for less in phases, but to have better climate. She will have Medicare. I need some help and advice. Once I move, I will spend time to help my wife and take care of kids and, most likely, I will be able to work only part-time job. Do you know any part-time job with good health benefits? Do disabled people with brain disease get any help in FL?
Thanks for your help

There is a law that most businesses (probably who hire a certain # of people- forget the specifics) have to offer insurance even for part timers. Many stores offer StarBridge as their insurance for part timers. I found it useless though because none of my doctors would accept it. When I got the first papers after signing up, the insurance ID stated it was not an insurance but a discount program.

Florida has a Kid care program for your kids so check into that. Its premiums are based on what you can afford. When my husband was laid off one year we used it rather than Cobra and it cost us about $75 a month.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 AM

I am glad to hear that FL has state kid care medical program. It will be helpful, as well. Thanks for info Fl Mom.
Good thing happened to me last Christmas in FL and I stopped smoking after 30 years of practicing it . I noticed when I am in FL I'm smoking much less, so last year/month I took advantage of it and I stopped smoking. In my whole life, I went to doctor about 5-6 times, mostly for immunizations and physicals. In my 25-30 years of work experiences, I worked for three (full-time) companies in three different countries, and I missed about two or three working days for being sick. However, it is important to know some things and thanks God we have forum like this and great people from Orlando who like to help. Long live Orlando and Fl......

Old 01-06-2011, 11:58 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,206,327 times
UPS is horrible, I just quit them. But Disney is a good place, well was, but they are having a union fight. So maybe UPS is another best. I also know OCPS, OCFL, or City of Orlando as well has that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando