Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times

Advertisements

Elements of Urbanism: Downtown Orlando | Metro Jacksonville

This is an excellent article on Downtown Orlando with great description and pictures. Probably the most informative and accurate piece on Downtown and it is written for a JACKSONVILLE forum. Bravo to them, great article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:03 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times
Good stuff, thanks!! Did you see in the blog comments that Mad Cow Theater is moving to 54 W Church St? The Church St revival program looks like it is going to work this time...so many new businesses and a solid anchor in the Amway Center. Good to see that it will have a variety of entertainment options around there.

http://orlandotheater.wordpress.com/...e-to-new-home/

I hope they will have good soundproofing!

Old 04-07-2011, 11:47 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times
Just a recap for people not following what is happening on Church St:

HEAT - Indian fusion restaurant, upscale nightclub
Touch - Restaurant with touchscreens and nightclub
Dream - VIP-only nightclub located over Touch in the bridge above Church St.
Rusty Spoon - Gastropub
Five Guys - Burgers and Fries of course!
Draft Global Beer Lounge and Grill - 100 bottled beers, 40 taps, and food across from Amway Center
Frank & Steins - 300 craft beers and 40 taps, and what looks like German food from the picture
Mojo Bar and Grille -New Orleans themed restaurant and bar, also has comedy acts on weekends
Baby Grands - Dueling Piano bar
Mad Cow Theater relocation

...all of this has happened since the Amway Center opened or are about to open.

Now, if someone would just turn Cheyenne Saloon into something cool it would complete the scene there...maybe a karaoke bar with a live band like Rising Star at CityWalk? DT Orlando doesn't have that.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 PM

96 posts, read 187,076 times
Wow, this article is great! I wonder if it would be a good idea to move it to the Orlando Pictures Stickie. Its very informative. I've been Downtown a few times and have loved the look and feel of it.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:00 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
I was so impressed by this article that I went through the rest of the website. Upon doing so I discovered that there are multiple prior articles on Orlando. It was interesting to see the progression of Downtown from a few years back to the present. Really good stuff.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Great article, I've been aware of the older ones but thanks for posting this brand new one. Couldn't believe some of the comments at the bottom of the article, wow. Somebody actually tried to dismiss all that DT Orlando has accomplished by saying it was "fake" and "Disney." I laugh because we all know that downtown is the anti-Disney and really helps to balance out the impact of tourism on our day to day, basically, it's exactly what Las Vegas is missing (and trees). As for improving Church Street even more, I say turn the old Exchange building into retail/quick service local food vendors. The building is already set up for that since it used to have really neat little stores, but this time DT has the population to support your basic spread of shops. It would be like a mini version of Quincy Market in Boston that will eventually be connected with rail to the rest of the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando