Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 06:04 PM

131 posts, read 307,555 times

Advertisements

Hi All -

Within the next two months I will be moving to the Orlando area for a job in Rockledge. My husband and I are both in our mid 30s and currently live in north Dallas, no kids. Ideally we would like to rent a home near Orlando so we can take advantage of all the activities it has to offer, however, I don't want a super long commute to Rockledge. I would like to keep our rent around $2k/month.

Based on commute times under an hour it looks like east Orlando (Rio Pinar area) is an option as well as Lake Nona. Also Kissimmee and St. Cloud, but I've heard many mixed reviews. The most important things for us are plenty of shops and restaurants and modern conveniences, I don't expect it to be like Dallas by any means but I want to be in the mix of things.

Any advice you can give on places to check out, I'm all ears!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 06:07 PM

216 posts, read 272,084 times
Viera

Old 05-30-2019, 06:19 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
I’d look around Lake Nona. You can also consider Dr. Phillips area too, much more going on, slightly longer commute, but still doable.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:35 AM

617 posts, read 833,271 times
Don't do that to yourself. Driving an hour each way just to be closer to the "activities" of Orlando is not worth an hour long commute each way. The Melbourne area has enough to do, and you're still an hour away from Orlando to make a day trip on the weekends for either the theme parks or high end shopping.

I would recommend the Viera or Suntree areas in Melbourne to find a house, $2k per month is a healthy budget for this area so you should be able to find something pretty nice. Rockledge itself is not the best area for the most part (there's a few exceptions closer to I-95 with a Rockledge address), and Cocoa is definitely a no-go. Stick with Melbourne/Viera for the nicer parts of the area.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:01 AM

I would visit first, I personally could never live in Melbourne even if I was given a $300k salary. An hour commute isn’t bad for many people used to living in big cities. It’s easier to commute an hour to work because you will be there most of the day to justify the drive. It will be hard to justify an hour drive to go out to eat in Orlando, go to a mall in Orlando, etc. That’s just me anyways.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:08 AM

617 posts, read 833,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I would visit first, I personally could never live in Melbourne even if I was given a $300k salary. An hour commute isn’t bad for many people used to living in big cities. It’s easier to commute an hour to work because you will be there most of the day to justify the drive. It will be hard to justify an hour drive to go out to eat in Orlando, go to a mall in Orlando, etc. That’s just me anyways.
I feel the exact opposite. It's hard to justify the hour drive for work 5x a week. You're looking at 10 hours in the car every single week. Plus let's be honest, you're not going to be going out to eat or shopping every single day during the week, you'll be at home anyway. Why not have a 10-15 minute commute during the week when you'll be at home and at work Mon-Fri instead of wasting all that time in the car. Imagine being a little late for work and then having to add an hour commute on top of that. Lots of wasted time imo. Better to make a full Saturday trip to Orlando once in a while rather than do that 5x a week.

Plus, there's plenty of decent restaurants and shopping in the Melbourne area. I can't imagine OP needs to go to Mall at Millennia or the outlets multiple times every week.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:25 AM

131 posts, read 307,555 times
Valid points on both sides! I have asked my director if I can get some work from home, and if she agrees, then living closer to Orlando will be more doable. Otherwise staying closer to Rockledge will probably be the best idea. I also have to consider if my husband ends up looking for a new job that it will likely be in Orlando since he's in IT, but I guess i'll deal with that when it becomes a reality lol.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:15 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
It will be hard to justify an hour drive to go out to eat in Orlando, go to a mall in Orlando, etc. That’s just me anyways.
Because there's that weird assumption Melbourne doesn't have restaurants or shopping?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...y_Florida.html
https://www.avenueviera.com/
https://melbournesquare.com/

Old 05-31-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Because there's that weird assumption Melbourne doesn't have restaurants or shopping?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...y_Florida.html
https://www.avenueviera.com/
https://melbournesquare.com/
There’s not a city in the world that doesn’t have a restaurant or shop. However, I personally could never live in such a small and isolated town. Some people like them. I tried going back to Wasilla, Alaska and was ready to shoot myself after a year, so I moved to San Francisco.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:33 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
There’s not a city in the world that doesn’t have a restaurant or shop. However, I personally could never live in such a small and isolated town. Some people like them. I tried going back to Wasilla, Alaska and was ready to shoot myself after a year, so I moved to San Francisco.
It's not that "small" with around 110K living in Melbourne-Rockledge-Viera and being just under an hour from Orlando, hardly "isolated" either given one can easily spend an hour crossing a major metro area in traffic going from Point A to Point B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando