Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:05 PM

29 posts, read 36,842 times

Advertisements

I am a investor in the US. As such and amongst other things, I have bought a house and wanted to protect it with an alarm system, but EVERY single company turns me down because I don´t have a SSN. Is this some kind of joke? Besides they want me to sign a contract for 3 years. There´s actually more than enough money in the bank. Can anyone explain this to me? Or did anyone buy a serious alarm system with no such condiitons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:20 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Not sure why, but you can always buy Arlo Pro cameras and do it yourself. The new ones work really well.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:16 PM

16 posts, read 11,918 times
Simplisafe. I'm happy with them!

Old 03-27-2017, 05:52 PM

38 posts, read 52,135 times
I agree, get simplisafe. Don't get suckered into a contract with those old school alarm companies.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:56 PM

378 posts, read 487,822 times
Ditto on Simplisafe. Easy to setup and install and works great IMO.

I would combine it with some Arlo Pro cameras as well, so that if you're out and about you can check in on the house if there happens to be a false alarm.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:45 PM

70 posts, read 61,163 times
I use SimpliSafe too. Love it.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:49 AM

378 posts, read 487,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59LP View Post
I use SimpliSafe too. Love it.
While I don't "love it" yet, it does the same job that the others do with no contract and at a cheaper price point.

To get me to love it, they would need to begin integrating with others (I.E. SmartThings hub - If alarm is triggered then an event can be sent to all cameras to record, if I unlock the door then disarm the alarm or if I disarm the alarm unlock my doors and etc)

Old 05-17-2017, 09:57 PM

7 posts, read 8,021 times
There are different types of security systems. Consider the quality of the service, the expense and customer friendly factor. Three key elements will determine which system is best-suited company for your home and lifestyle. Monitoring, Installation and Home automation. In the case of monitoring system you can communicate effectively with your monitoring center 24 hours a day through landline, cellular or broadband. When it comes to installation, some security professional allow you to choose between installation and DIY while some offer only one or the other. DIY systems do not require professional installation.
I prefer home automation which would allow you to control features of your home remotely from a smartphone or web-enabled device.
They would remotely arm or disarm your system and control your lighting, thermostat and small appliances. The most attractive feature is that you can even remotely view pre-recorded or live video surveillance. There are varying levels of home automation.
Select a company and package based on your requirement and budget.
Contracts can be long-term or month-to-month. It’s good to sign a security system contract that delivers what you need at a price you can afford say anywhere from 12 months to 60 months. The industry standard is about 36 months. The longer you are in contract for, the lower your monthly fees could be since you are spreading out the initial costs to be paid over time.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:09 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,979 times
Funny this thread was bumped. Let me give you a very recent (as in yesterday) example of what these alarm companies are all about. I have been with Alarmforce for over 5 years, and I am well out of the 3-year contract. I have been on month to month, and apparently the credit card on file is going to expire at the end of May. I get an email with this in it (copied and pasted from the email):

If we do not have your updated credit card information by May 23rd, 2017, we will have to bill you annually starting May 2017 and payment for the full year will be due upon receipt.

That is 6 days from the receipt of the email they gave me to respond, or else. I got no other emails prior to this one. Look how quickly they want to rope me in for another full year and pay up front. I called them last night and told them I want nothing to do with them anymore, and cited their wording. What kind of way is this to treat a customer of 5 years?

Old 05-18-2017, 01:32 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Like I said, just get Arlo cameras.. instant text to your phone and recording when movement. Keep a gun in the house. Get ready to aim and fire if the live feed is an intruder. If you are away from home, call the police as its faster than getting 10 calls from the security company brfore they call police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando