Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:44 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,746,664 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are looking to move in the next month or month and a half. We have not decided on renting or buying just yet. I don't like renting, but I also don't want to buy because I hear the market in Orlando is a bit high right now.

So for now we are looking at rentals, but even they are kinda high. We really LOVE the Mills, Ivanhoe and Winter park areas. Basically we'd love to be north of Colonial, east of I-4 and west of Semoran.

But homes in those areas are either expensive or hard to find for rent. There are apartment communities, but I'm not super keen on apartments. I'd probably rather do a home. Baldwin Park is nice, but again expensive, and I'd really like a bit more space.

So that brings me here. Are there any other areas in greater Orlando that have nice downtown main streets and are clean and safe? We liked the Winter Garden downtown, but it's a bit out of the way for my work (near SeaWorld) and the neighborhood did not look all that kept up. We've heard of places like Lake Nona, Windermere, and Doctor Philips, but those don't really have a central main street with "stuff" nearby. We're really looking for that Winter Park, Park Ave vibe, but for less money. Do any surrounding towns have anything like that? I haven't ventured down to Kissimmee or all of the surrounding areas.

We don't need a huge house either, only 2-3 bedrooms max. Many of the newer communities only build BIG homes, so they don't really fit our needs....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 11:26 AM

617 posts, read 833,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
Hello,
We are looking to move in the next month or month and a half. We have not decided on renting or buying just yet. I don't like renting, but I also don't want to buy because I hear the market in Orlando is a bit high right now.

So for now we are looking at rentals, but even they are kinda high. We really LOVE the Mills, Ivanhoe and Winter park areas. Basically we'd love to be north of Colonial, east of I-4 and west of Semoran.

But homes in those areas are either expensive or hard to find for rent. There are apartment communities, but I'm not super keen on apartments. I'd probably rather do a home. Baldwin Park is nice, but again expensive, and I'd really like a bit more space.

So that brings me here. Are there any other areas in greater Orlando that have nice downtown main streets and are clean and safe? We liked the Winter Garden downtown, but it's a bit out of the way for my work (near SeaWorld) and the neighborhood did not look all that kept up. We've heard of places like Lake Nona, Windermere, and Doctor Philips, but those don't really have a central main street with "stuff" nearby. We're really looking for that Winter Park, Park Ave vibe, but for less money. Do any surrounding towns have anything like that? I haven't ventured down to Kissimmee or all of the surrounding areas.

We don't need a huge house either, only 2-3 bedrooms max. Many of the newer communities only build BIG homes, so they don't really fit our needs....
Have you looked into college park? It's still close to Winter Park and mills area but it's probably a little less expensive. It's still going to be pricey but it has a small main street area and has that older charm feel that you're probably looking for.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:35 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
While this may go slightly against your location preference, it's still pretty much the same; Have you looked into Thornton Park (and surrounding?) Thornton Park has some older homes that aren't too expensive if you look around.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:50 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
If you want to still be near the interesting areas downtown but would want to pay less, I'd look south of the 408, between there and Michigan. It's definitely a mix of housing options and I think it would be cheaper than College Park or Thornton Park. There are some really pretty neighborhoods in there.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:53 AM

@OtownKnight, College park is ok. It's spotty. We are there now. Some areas are nice, some are not so great.

@Arcenal, I'll check out Thornton Park, thanks. That's nearby

@brinkofsunshine I'll do that too. thanks

All good suggestions, but I'm also just wondering if this is it, or if other areas way further south have these types of options. I know that Celebration has a great downtown too, but I've heard those units are not built that well.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:08 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
That's kind of it for cool walkable neighborhoods. Kissimmee has a little downtown strip (I haven't been there so I don't know how it is) but personally I wouldn't want to live in Kissimmee. Winter Garden is the only other option I can think of but like you said, it can be a little spotty around there. There are bettter neighborhoods south of Colonial if you don't mind a little drive to get to downtown Winter Garden. I live in this area and I can be in WG in about 10-15 minutes.. and actually it usually only takes me 18-20 to get to Bumby via the 408. I'm about 30 minutes from SeaWorld.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:11 PM

@brink I work near seaworld so south of colonial would be fine. I don't need to go to winter garden. I had mentioned that I liked the downtown, but it's far from my work (near seaworld).

Old 08-18-2017, 12:35 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Downtown is a shorter commute than Winter Park though, so are you saying even if Winter Park was cheap, you wouldn't want to live there?

If so, your only other option would be somewhere like Dr. Phillips, which isn't a walk-able in the same way as Winter Park, but there are still plenty of areas near Dr. Phillips Blvd & Sand Lake Road where you can live and still walk or bike there easily, which as restaurants, bars, groceries, shops, banks etc all together. The commute would be super fast to Seaworld.

I'd skip Celebration, it's fine to take a stroll or ride bikes, but it is so beyond bland and boring, I can't even begin...

Old 08-18-2017, 02:51 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
A little off of the original desired description, but you might also like the Audubon Park area and it's commercial district along Corrine Drive. It has a number of cool independent restaurants and shops plus the Monday Night Farmers Market (the only truly legit farmers market in Orlando) and the East End Market.

https://audubonparkgardens.com/
About | Audubon Park Community Market
https://www.eastendmkt.com/

Old 08-19-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
A little off of the original desired description, but you might also like the Audubon Park area and it's commercial district along Corrine Drive. It has a number of cool independent restaurants and shops plus the Monday Night Farmers Market (the only truly legit farmers market in Orlando) and the East End Market.

https://audubonparkgardens.com/
About | Audubon Park Community Market
https://www.eastendmkt.com/
Yes I do like Corrine Drive. There is not a whole lot there yet, but it's still close to mills and virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando