Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 01:33 PM

13 posts, read 20,441 times

Advertisements

I’m looking into moving to Orlando by the Summer. I’m quickly noticing not all lakes are equal. Seems like the Butler chain of lakes is a favorite of some people. I’m interested in hearing all you know about all the lakes in main Orlando region.

Some are more active ? Are some less desirable? What about noise? What about the lakes around Winter Park area? What about the lakes around downtown? What about animals? Do I need to worry about sitting to sunbath on one of those “beaches”? What about mosquitoes?

Anyone who lives on or knows someone who lives on a lake please feel free to add to the convo.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 03:35 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,986 times
Here's what I know about the lakes in Florida, having lived here since 1974:

1. They all have alligators, including the lakes at Disney. Don't let kids or dogs play in the water. If you want to sit on a beach, you're better off going to the ocean.

2. They probably all have amoebas, at least in the warmer weather. Don't swim in the lakes. If you want to swim, stay in a swimming pool, but check it first for critters before you jump in. Gators, snakes, and frogs have frequently been known to find their way to backyard swimming pools. Cold-water springs are supposed to be ok for swimming too, but I used to live near Wakulla Springs in north Fla, and there were gators all over the place there.

3. There are mosquitoes everywhere during the rainy season, not just near lakes.

4. Lakes are really nice to look at from a moderate distance. Just don't expect to interact with them very much.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:33 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happychickens View Post
I’m looking into moving to Orlando by the Summer. I’m quickly noticing not all lakes are equal. Seems like the Butler chain of lakes is a favorite of some people. I’m interested in hearing all you know about all the lakes in main Orlando region.

Some are more active ? Are some less desirable? What about noise? What about the lakes around Winter Park area? What about the lakes around downtown? What about animals? Do I need to worry about sitting to sunbath on one of those “beaches”? What about mosquitoes?

Anyone who lives on or knows someone who lives on a lake please feel free to add to the convo.

Thank you so much!
Not all lakes are equal in almost every way in my opinion.

The Butler Chain of Lakes as you mentioned is considered one of the best, if not the best for overall boating. Some other good lakes are around Winter Park such as Lake Killarney and Lake Virginia. I've gone paddle boarding on Lake Killarney. Lake Toho is a massive lake with all kinds of wildlife that is popular with fishing. There are a lot of lakes, but most are small.

It's a good idea to not swim in any of the lakes, but not all lakes are the same. Some lakes are known to have a lot of big alligators because either they place caught ones there or they're protected. I have a house on a small spring fed lake and I'm 99% sure there are no gators in it as they have to come up to get sun and none of my neighbors has ever seen one, some being there for 30 years. I've gone kayaking and jumped off and swam in it a few times, although I prefer the pool and still get an uneasy feeling lol. For swimming, I'd recommend going to natural springs.

So it really depends on the specific lake as to your questions and also depends if it's a public area or your own property. I have my property sprayed for pests, so I can lay out on my dock and not worry about getting bitten alive by mosquitoes. The main concerns of lakes are alligators and water moccasins (a poisonous snake), but once again, it really depends on the lake to give you an accurate answer.

I disagree with the person above who says you can look at them from a distance, but not interact with them. Myself and I know a lot of other people who routinely are on the shores of lakes or on a boat or jet-ski, whether it's boating, fishing, kayaking, paddle-boarding... there are plenty of things to enjoy about the lakes and a lot to enjoy about the natural springs. However, I know some people who refuse to go in the ocean because of sharks, so it just depends on the kind of person you are.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:23 PM

For those properties near bigger boating lakes, is there a lot of noise during weekends? Like should I expect to hear a lot of boats or jet skis going around? How big are the biggest boats allowed on those lakes?

Old 03-11-2018, 01:25 PM

FYI the snakes part for some reason is my least favorite. Does having an enclosed pool help significantly with the snake part or it doesn’t matter cause they sneak in thru anything?

Old 03-11-2018, 02:27 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
FYI the snakes part for some reason is my least favorite. Does having an enclosed pool help significantly with the snake part or it doesn’t matter cause they sneak in thru anything?
An enclosed pool is definitely the way to go to keep them out as they're aluminum framed and attached to poured concrete and the side of your house, so pretty much impossible for a snake to get through other than leaving the screen door open perhaps. Also enclosures minimize issues with mosquitoes and helps keep the pool clean by not allowing debris to blow in, not to mention frogs and other creatures. Some talk about screens minimizing "views" but unless you have some kind of million dollar view versus the neighbors' houses and varying fences, what's the point?

Old 03-11-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Having a screen is great, not because of snakes, as they are still rare to see in most areas, esp the dangerous ones are very rare for most households. It’s great to keep out a lot of bugs, leaves, branches, palm tree seeds etc. The most common snake I’ve seen at the lake house are small black racers which are harmless and run away as soon as they see you or your pet. The pool screen will keep most critters away, including snakes but it is not a guarantee.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:29 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Having a screen is great, not because of snakes, as they are still rare to see in most areas, esp the dangerous ones are very rare for most households. It’s great to keep out a lot of bugs, leaves, branches, palm tree seeds etc. The most common snake I’ve seen at the lake house are small black racers which are harmless and run away as soon as they see you or your pet. The pool screen will keep most critters away, including snakes but it is not a guarantee.
If one lives on or near a lake or river/stream, they will most likely encounter water moccasins.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
If one lives on or near a lake or river/stream, they will most likely encounter water moccasins.
I havent yet, but the lake makes a difference I’m sure. If it’s large or has a lot of untouched wetlands, I can imagine seeing them. I did hear my landscapers once say they saw a water moccassin, so I laid some traps but never caught it or saw it.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:32 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I havent yet, but the lake makes a difference I’m sure. If it’s large or has a lot of untouched wetlands, I can imagine seeing them. I did hear my landscapers once say they saw a water moccassin, so I laid some traps but never caught it or saw it.
I see them I'd say about 50% of the time I hit the water in my area, but I live in a much more "untouched" place than I imagine you do. I also see gators on my evening jogs by the lake, whereas some of my friends who live closer to you have yet to see any gator outside of Gatorland. So yeah, you're right, it's all dependent on which lake/stream and the areas surrounding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando