Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:57 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,003,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Thanks @WellShoneMoon. How is your impression of safety in that area
I feel safe enough to walk around my neighborhood freely during the day. I don't go out much at night because of deteriorating eyesight. I live in a condominium with excellent security, and I feel very safe at home. When I lived in a single-family home in the suburbs I did not feel safe at home, even with a security system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 02:39 PM

55 posts, read 189,559 times
All depends on your lifestyle preferences. We chose to retire in Mt Dora. While it's a quaint downtown on the shores of Lake Dora, it's also an active and "artsy" town with plenty of things to do. We feel safe and settled here. We also found that our decision to move to a 55+ community in the area was a good one. We've met several people who initially moved from other parts of the nation to retire in Florida but chose to move to a regular neighborhood of all ages. Most of them have told us it was hard to meet people because they were the only retired people in the neighborhood and they eventually elected to relocate to a 55+ community where mostly everyone is from somewhere else and looking to make friends. Of course, all people are different so if you are the kind of folks who tend to get involved with religious or other groups, you may not need that extra 55+ advantage. We've met a lot of great people...some from elsewhere and some native Floridians. People are more friendly here which makes life just a bit slower than in the northeast...we love that feeling and lifestyle. Perhaps one of the things we like best about the Mt Dora area is that it's just far enough from the metropolitan circle surrounding Orlando to have a semi-rural feel. Go a couple of miles north of town and you are driving two lane roads through forests. Yet, when you want something else more active to do, Orlando is a quick hop down Route 429....after about a 35-40 minute drive you are parking at Disney World, The Dr. Phillips Center, or the Premium Outlets. Lastly, we also are from the northeast so please understand that I say the following with all good intentions. Some people from the northeast arrive here and spend their time complaining that they can't find "good pizza" or something else. They will never be happy here because it isn't Boston or Manhattan...thankfully!! Appreciate Lake County and Florida for what they are - great places to live. Good luck with your decision and move.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:54 PM

648 posts, read 518,341 times
Yes, well spoken Grumpy. I guess I do realize that I won’t be able to find the equivalent of Canal Street, the North End, or Chestnut Street in Florida, but I will be happy to find genuine local and diverse cuisines and attractions.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:11 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
In looking at areas, I've decided that the greater Orlando and Lake County areas might be nice places to try in Florida. I grew up in the greater NY metro area, went to school in Boston, spent most of my professional career in NJ suburbs just outside of Philadelphia, so I do like the idea of being able to access the kinds of things that are available in an urban area. I also appreciate peaceful neighborhoods that have local access to good food, good local produce, and things to do even in town. I'm spoiled (I'll admit it) to having the full gamut of things ranging from franchise shopping to the best in international and local foodstuffs available within a 60 minute ride. Right now I have Winter Springs, Winter Park, Winter Garden (a lot of Winter towns there! ), Mount Dora, Windermere, and Clermont itself on the radar. I know some are further away from Orlando than others, but the towns I chose I've read are very highly rated as places to live, or are rated well and have some combination of qualities that sound interesting to me. I intend to swing down there over the next several months (and into next summer) to look around, but for now what can folks here tell me about these places - or about somewhere in the area I may have missed? I may be retiring, but I'm not looking to be surrounded by chain restaurants and only Publix (as good as I'll admit it is). I appreciate good value, high quality local establishments for both eating and food shopping (and supporting good local places) - although I will go to a Whole Foods or a Sprouts if I need something a bit more extravagant.
Given the highlighted criteria I would recommend Winter Park the most. Getting around town doesn't rely upon the most congested traffic arteries in the area (nor the touristy vibe) and you have have everything at your fingertips in terms of quality independent restaurants, local foodstuffs (check out places like Lombardi's Seafood, The Meat House or Swine & Sons), Whole Foods/Sprouts/Trader Joe's in town and close proximity to some good Asian markets in the Mills 50 district in Orlando. Also outside of the few main thoroughfares in Winter Park it's relatively quiet and pretty safe as well.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:28 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
I have to concur w/ Grumpyprof - while technically we're not in a 55+ community, the development is mostly seniors - there are some middle-aged people and children but most are older - most ppl here are from other states w/ some from the area - we have a clubhouse which comes in very handy, there's various optional social events around the holidays, water aerobics, regular aerobics, a huge variety of card games, pool, poker, line dancing etc - it's easy to meet ppl - one can be as busy as you want (or not). We had lived in our previous home for 25+ years, raised our children there and barely knew the neighbors (busier street), it's entirely different here and we're really enjoying it.

Not too far from Ponce Inlet and the lighthouse, a bit further from St Augustine which is a nice place to visit (have been there a few times). In case my previous post wasnt that clear, we're prob. 10 miles from the actual ocean but much closer than we were when we lived in NJ, too hot lately to spend time there but there's many local restaurants and a bandshell w/ different entertainment groups that are nice too. The new and expanding Tanger Outlet is in the area and still growing. A new housing development is in the area, Margaritaville and is supposed to be nice but on the expensive side but might be worth checking out. Just some thoughts -

Old 08-07-2018, 05:06 PM

Thanks Kyle and Honeycrisp.

Honeycrisp, where in NJ did you live? The note about a Tanger Outlet is interesting. I wonder if it's the same Tanger family that runs the one in the Poconos area.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:34 PM

It's a small world, I grew up in Nassau Co. on LI, we lived mostly in N NJ (Parsippany, Denville, Rockaway area, morris country) our married life. Have been to the Tanger Outlet in the Poconos but not in the past few years, the one here is nice but the sun shines down on it and it can get very hot this time of year, good for a quick trip this time of year, lol. Not really sure if the 'bargains' are bargains. Went to a Tangers Outlet in the Outer Banks NC but it was smaller at the time, not sure how it is now (I think it was Tangers) and I think there may be one in St Augustine. Once the weather cools, would like to spend more time in St Augustine, it's supposed to be very nice around the holidays w/ light displays etc. Went recently to Cape Kennedy and that was nice, only about an hour away and an easy day trip, hope to get there again once it cools off (we became members, hadn't planned on it but it was kind of interesting, best to go early to get a good parking spot and avoid the summer crowds).

Old 08-07-2018, 06:44 PM

Hey! I lived and worked almost 11 years in Nassau County. Truly a small world.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:28 PM

BTW, can anyone tell me anything about Sorrento? It's near Mount Dora and looks nice.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:31 PM

Omigosh, it is. Our kids (grown) are in nearby states, I have a sibling in Staten island but most relatives are in other areas now, a few here in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando