Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 05:30 AM

34 posts, read 30,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlikestoplay View Post
The weather is un-breathable and unlivable.. don't do it lol

Its way too muggy and swampy, you get three beautiful gorgeous months of weather, 9 months of indoor hell. I am a marathon runner and what I am doing today in late Sept? Locked in doors, we are at 95F with 100% humidity.

I am gad I learned early ( in my 30's) where NOT to retire and die. Out West or North California is the way to go, tons of veggies, beautiful nature ( mountains, rivers, oceans, trees), livable weather all year round .. Die happy is my motto
It was never my intention to leave NY (I enjoy all of the above) but the taxes are unbearable especially on a fixed income. FL is the only other state where we have relatives, other than NJ, and we want some family around. I share your concerns about the weather. It is primarily why we haven’t made the leap. People tell us we will get used to it but I’m not so sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 12:26 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyngirl4ever View Post
It was never my intention to leave NY (I enjoy all of the above) but the taxes are unbearable especially on a fixed income. FL is the only other state where we have relatives, other than NJ, and we want some family around. I share your concerns about the weather. It is primarily why we haven’t made the leap. People tell us we will get used to it but I’m not so sure.

I personally love the weather... Winter is the perfect walking around weather and Summer means water parks, natural springs and beach.

If you hate snowy winters and also hot humid summers, then just remind yourself the summer is equal to the snowy winters. Generally though, people who hate hot humid weather, will always hate it and people who hate freezing snowy weather, will always hate it. You can get used to tolerating it, but still won't like it. I personally like the mix because I view it as my time to do everything water related.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:02 PM

491 posts, read 518,925 times
Go to the Villages.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:35 PM

34 posts, read 30,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
Go to the Villages.
Thank you, but not my cup of tea.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:03 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
You really might want to look at the neighborhoods around downtown Orlando. I think it’s the most condusive to walking, and has a ton of shops, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Thornton Park, Lake Eola Heights, Audubon Park, Mills 50/Milk District, College Park, etc. A brand new Italian deli/market just opened up in the Milk District. That area and Mills feels the closest to Brooklyn to me (although it’s still hard to compare!). And there’s very little cookie-cutter homes there, but rather many old homes, like 1920’s bungalows and mid-century ranches (lots of mid-century in Audubon Park).
I second this suggestion. I live in College Park, and one of the things I like most about living here is the ability to walk to Publix, CVS, interesting shops, restaurants, etc. People don't walk in the suburbs, but we definitely do walk in the city neighborhoods. Whatever I don't have within easy walking distance is just a short drive away in Winter Park (tons of shopping and restaurants), or downtown (e.g., main library, volunteer work I'm involved with). One of the two big hospitals is only 5 minutes away.

My daughter also lives in College Park, and she works at Disney. It's a doable commute, especially if you're only going to be at the parks once a week.

As far as getting used to the heat is concerned, I've lived in FL for 45 years (I grew up in PA), and I've never gotten used to the heat. I still hate it. This time of year, my walking outside is confined to the early mornings.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:21 AM

491 posts, read 518,925 times
Quote:
Thank you, but not my cup of tea.
Try Avalon Park.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:13 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
Try Avalon Park.
I prefer Waterford Lakes over Avalon Park simply because the Nuclear Plant or whatever that thing is would worry me long-term as far as health is concerned. Avalon Park is very nice though.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:16 AM

617 posts, read 832,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I prefer Waterford Lakes over Avalon Park simply because the Nuclear Plant or whatever that thing is would worry me long-term as far as health is concerned. Avalon Park is very nice though.
I've looked it up, it's not nuclear lol

Old 09-22-2018, 02:19 PM

200 posts, read 174,989 times
Quote:
People tell us we will get used to it but I’m not so sure.
LOL, you won't! I've lived in FL on and off for 20-something years and never got used to it.

But it does beat having to drive in near-blizzard conditions. I used up all my sick days calling out when the storms were really bad (3+ inches) but with the god-awful winter of 2017-2018 I did not have enough sick days to get through 6 months of snowfall!!!

Old 09-23-2018, 12:38 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
OP sounds like he has no idea what he wants.

Ocoee, WG, and DP couldn't be further apart from each other in lifestyle.

Everything depends likely on what you're into.

Why the F! are retired people or people who don't commute to work even making an attempt to discuss traffic?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando