Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2021, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,597 times

Advertisements

Single woman, 32, lived in the UCF area for three years back in 2010-2013 so I'm somewhat familiar with the city lore. 'Never move to Pine Hills, the Silver Star area, the Paramore area, or basically anything west of I4, north of the Turnpike and south of Lockhart.' But here I am now, recently took a big pay hit and my current apartment is way too expensive for me, so I'm looking to move back to Orlando. In order to maintain any sort of quality of life on slave wage I'm hellbent on saving as much as I can by finding the cheapest, ****tiest apartment I can find at 600sqft or up. in an area where I don't stand a good chance of getting shot, mugged or raped.

There are some super appealing prices on Trulia as well as some apartment complexes, but of course they're all in the middle of what I've always been told is crime central. But looking at Trulia's crime map it -looks- like there are some ok areas interspersed between the bad areas over there? For instance I'm surprised to see some areas south and west of Clear Lake and a huge swath of the area north of Lake Mann as supposedly having little crime.

So my question is, how bad are the low income areas *actually?* Not in terms of quality of housing or quiet neighbors -I'm completely cool with a run down, falling apart apartment with a window AC, and I don't care about people hanging out in the streets or playing loud music. What I'm not cool with are shootouts, threatening behavior and creepers. Are there any areas over there where if I just mind my own business, I'll be left alone for the most part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 07:25 PM

17,168 posts, read 15,373,458 times
They’re bad. I lived right off of JYP/Colonial for a few months a couple of years back, and it was bad… I have kids. I never felt safe.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:11 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
OP, where are you now and why Orlando? The wage-to-rent inequity here is well documented and not someplace one should probably think about in terms of economic recovery. What is your budget if you don't mind divulging?

Old 09-04-2021, 11:48 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
I definitely wouldn’t live over there. What is your budget?

Old 09-05-2021, 01:30 AM

834 posts, read 528,603 times
Look for a guest house/mother-in-law apartment. There are plenty in College Park, Thornton Park, Colonialtown, Dr Phillips and all of Windermere.

Utilities are usually included and lawn/pool care are not your responsibility.

Old 09-05-2021, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP, where are you now and why Orlando? The wage-to-rent inequity here is well documented and not someplace one should probably think about in terms of economic recovery. What is your budget if you don't mind divulging?
I've been in Brevard for the last 7 or 8 years. As for why, mostly because it's the only place besides Brevard where I know people and it's where all my friends are located. I also have a get-together that I go to over there once a week and it would be nice not to have to drive an hour each way. Prices over here are not much better unfortunately. Budget, I'm at about $34k a year before taxes so I'm definitely between a rock and a hard place, but fortunately I work remotely so I've got a bit of leeway.

Old 09-05-2021, 01:30 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superelectrik View Post
I've been in Brevard for the last 7 or 8 years. As for why, mostly because it's the only place besides Brevard where I know people and it's where all my friends are located. I also have a get-together that I go to over there once a week and it would be nice not to have to drive an hour each way. Prices over here are not much better unfortunately. Budget, I'm at about $34k a year before taxes so I'm definitely between a rock and a hard place, but fortunately I work remotely so I've got a bit of leeway.
Though it's not what you're going to want to hear, it would make a lot of sense to get over your fear of moving somewhere to where you don't know anyone to get more economically secure. A move to Jacksonville for instance would put you into much more affordable rent, especially if able to share a 2/2 apartment with a roommate while maintaining the same income. Unless you're able to change jobs and earn more, the hamster wheel situation isn't going to change otherwise. Here are some examples of 2/2 apartments in Jax where you can see a split puts you at $400-$500 per month plus 1/2 the utilties. https://www.apartments.com/apartment...1o3m2lHlw9uwmN

Old 09-05-2021, 05:52 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
Are you willing to live with a roommate? Rents are ridiculous right now. You can find rooms for
$500 in Facebook groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando