Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 04:40 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times

Advertisements

Tallahassee gets fall color
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 06:56 AM

41 posts, read 40,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Tallahassee gets fall color
Any specific places in Tallahassee?

Old 10-27-2021, 07:44 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
The city is full of trees. Check out some of our parks and greenways. Maclay gardens state park

Old 10-30-2021, 08:36 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I went scooting around Baldwin Park area and a lot of trees had beautiful fall colors.

Old 11-25-2021, 09:42 AM

41 posts, read 40,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
The only widespread native trees that drop their "leaves" are the bald cypress.

Crepe myrtles (from India) drop their leaves as do some of the northern oaks, maples, sycamores, elms, etc. that people like to plant around here. Most of this happens in late November/early December as late December to late January is really the only time of year you might see a frost or freeze.

I've lived in South Carolina and North Carolina and, IMO, you really need to get past the fall line (more or less where Route 1 is from August up to NYC) before you start to see real fall foliage. The coastal plain, even as far north as New Jersey, is dominated by pines with some oaks here and there. So Charleston doesn't have much in the way of a fall but once you get 20-30 miles north and west of Columbia that changes pretty quickly so that by the time you're up to Spartanburg there's some bright, vibrant scenery.

Last year we drove up to the mountains in Georgia in late October and on the drive the fall colors didn't really become obvious until we were north of Macon.
Sir, the Bald Cypress’s and Crepe Myrtles aren’t the only trees with fall colors in Central Florida. The Red Maple and the American Sweetgum are the most prominent other than those two. Red Maples can mostly be found in swamplands as well as Sweetgum trees. Go to Oakland Nature Preserve and Spring Hammock Preserve in late November. At Spring Hammock Preserve there is another fall foliage tree at the southern end of its range, the Tulip Poplar.

Edit: Sorry I didn’t read your full post, all I read was the first sentence of your post.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:32 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
When I lived in Altamonte Springs, I had three Turkey Oaks that, depending on what the winter weather was like, would sometimes turn a nice reddish bronze before they dropped their leaves. Same thing with my two large dogwood trees; their autumn color all depended on the specific year weather.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:14 AM

16 posts, read 15,509 times
There is a pretty stretch of North Mills between Virginia and Orange Ave where you can see some Fall colors.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:31 AM

176 posts, read 220,830 times
The NorthEast is a long drive to see fall coloring. You can get a very nice fall color experience in the Smoky Mountains. I recommend Asheville, NC or the Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge areas.

PS- You need some elevation and you need some cold snap weather. Usually peaking for a week or two in late Oct / early Nov., FWIW.

Old 12-11-2021, 05:37 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
I was rudely told by a local tv weatherman last year that there are no fall colors in Florida. Trees just are dead. I argued with him for days but gave up. I guess he never studied biology and learned that all trees go through growth cycles and have a dormant period where some leaves do change color and fall off and start growing again.

Just driving up I-95 and then on 50 to Fort Christmas Sunday you could see fall colors along the road.

We have a Southern Raintree in our back yard here on the coast that definitely gets the fall colors. Not necessarily in their leaves, but in the flowers and seed pods. First the flowers are yellow, then they turn red, and now they are sort of a not so pleasing rust color. They will all fall off as will the leaves usually in Jan/Feb. and then in March the spring green leaves come back and the cycle continues. Sycamores, maples, and turkey oak trees change here too.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:45 AM

85 posts, read 99,342 times
Waterford Lakes today..
Attached Thumbnails
Fall Colors in the Orlando area-leaves.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando