Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2022, 11:03 AM

16 posts, read 22,885 times

Advertisements

We are getting started on the scouting process for an eventual move to the Orlando area. There are a few things we are looking for- not sure if there is a perfect match out there, but if you know of an area that fits any number of these things I'd appreciate any recommendations.

1. Within 20-30 minutes of the Disney area (I know traffic at certain times can greatly affect the driving time estimates)

2. Looking to stay West (as far as Davenport area maybe?), South (maybe Poinciana or St Cloud?), maybe North of The Disney area, but NOT looking to live east or have to drive through Orlando.

3. An area that is NOT wall to wall built up with 3 lanes going in each direction at every intersection we come to. If that's not practical that's fine, so long as there are more quiet areas nearby that would access a main road (like Hwy 27, 429, 192 for example) could be acceptable.

4. Sticking with preference for not too built up, looking for neighborhoods or areas in general that strike a balance and preserve land or have parks; looking for some green. And preferably going to stay green (ie, protected land). I've moved to too many places that start out semi-rural only to see them become rapidly developed and clog the infrastructure.

5. Budget would probably be in the $400-500k range. Looking for a single family house. Preferably not more than 10-15 years old or packed into a lot where we can reach out our arm and touch the side of our neighbor's house.

If there is more info or clarification you'd need from me feel free to ask. Or if I need to alter my hopes feel free to send a dose of reality my way. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 02:25 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Maybe look around Winter Garden and Oakland... the areas around West Orange Trail and Lake Apopka.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:06 PM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Winter Garden.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:39 AM

210 posts, read 270,974 times
Champions Gate (lots might be too small) or Winter Garden. If you're willing to go a little further north than Apopka. Do schools matter?

Old 07-10-2022, 11:51 AM

16 posts, read 22,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post
Champions Gate (lots might be too small) or Winter Garden. If you're willing to go a little further north than Apopka. Do schools matter?
No, schools don't matter for this move. We'll be spending our last few working years and then retirement in this house. Apopka is too far north for us and would have us going through Orlando to reach the parks area- prefer areas generally west of the Disney area. Could go as far south at St Cloud and as far west as Davenport. I've seen a few recommendations for Winter Garden so far and will check it out. Thanks for the suggestions up to this point.

Old 07-10-2022, 12:25 PM

210 posts, read 270,974 times
I added Apopka because you suggested space and rural. The 429 does not go through Orlando proper. It's actually one of the easier ways to travel outside of the city (to avoid I-4) because it typically moves fast. Winter Garden has been very built up in the past 5 years but still has some areas where the houses are not on top of each other. But if it seems to crowded for what you are looking for you may want to widen your search.

Old 07-10-2022, 12:58 PM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casperthegm View Post
No, schools don't matter for this move. We'll be spending our last few working years and then retirement in this house. Apopka is too far north for us and would have us going through Orlando to reach the parks area- prefer areas generally west of the Disney area. Could go as far south at St Cloud and as far west as Davenport. I've seen a few recommendations for Winter Garden so far and will check it out. Thanks for the suggestions up to this point.
Simply looking at maps is misleading. Apopka will not have you go through Orlando, but rather West of it through one of the easiest drives in the area -- the 429. I'd pick a drive from Apopka to Disney any day over a drive from St. Cloud. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Apopka if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post
I added Apopka because you suggested space and rural. The 429 does not go through Orlando proper. It's actually one of the easier ways to travel outside of the city (to avoid I-4) because it typically moves fast. Winter Garden has been very built up in the past 5 years but still has some areas where the houses are not on top of each other. But if it seems to crowded for what you are looking for you may want to widen your search.
Exactly this.

Old 07-10-2022, 05:35 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,413 times
Clermont, Oakland, Minneola, Groveland, Apopka, maybe parts of Winter Garden (Avalon Rd. area is very rural but there’s a lot of growth south towards Hamlin, who knows how much it’ll be built up). Maybe check out Gotha- it’s a “rural settlement” but is mostly finished growing, large lots and beautiful trees along Hempel Ave.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:28 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Clermont, Oakland, Minneola, Groveland, Apopka, maybe parts of Winter Garden (Avalon Rd. area is very rural but there’s a lot of growth south towards Hamlin, who knows how much it’ll be built up). Maybe check out Gotha- it’s a “rural settlement” but is mostly finished growing, large lots and beautiful trees along Hempel Ave.

I love Gotha, but budget will be an issue unless it's a really run down house.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:57 AM

27,195 posts, read 43,886,661 times
If you can get past the arbitrary 20-30 minutes to Disney requirement I would also suggest the Apopka area, specifically the northeast side around Sorrento-Mt Plymouth which is surrounded by Wekiwa State Park and Seminole State Forest, yet off the brand new extension of the 429/Wekiva Parkway that completes the north end of the Orlando outer loop/bypass. There is very little development here now and will be decades before any kind of sizable development arrives and as such limited due to environmerntal concerns that made the highway completion take so long. Unlike areas you're considering in much of Orange County, Osceola County and Polk County this area of Lake County has significant old-growth tree cover versus mainly scrub vegetation you would see traveling through the center of the state on the Turnpike or US27. On a bad day it's probably one hour to WDW and more like 35-40 minutes otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando