Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:04 PM

8 posts, read 27,038 times

Advertisements

I havent lived in Orlando for very long (not from the NE either) but I have noticed that people just seem so mad or unhappy in Orlando. Is it me?

One of many instances: a neighbor came over the other day, and asked my wife is she received their mail by accident. We do receive their mail quite often as our addresses are pretty similar, so when her W-2 never came in the mail, she decided to come over and ask us if we had it. Now, everytime I get thier mail by accident, I always walk it over there to them.

Now this time, she came over and had a bad attitude and was almost like accusing us of having her W-2. Bad attitude and it really ticked my wife off, because we come from a place where people usually dont act like that, and I am just giving one of many examples. Even one of my neighbors came to me and said that we were the only nice ppl that came over and said HI to them and so forth. So are people in Orlando always mad like this or unhappy? I dont even want to begin talking about what I have witnessed on the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:28 PM

5 posts, read 22,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginal View Post
I havent lived in Orlando for very long (not from the NE either) but I have noticed that people just seem so mad or unhappy in Orlando. Is it me?

One of many instances: a neighbor came over the other day, and asked my wife is she received their mail by accident. We do receive their mail quite often as our addresses are pretty similar, so when her W-2 never came in the mail, she decided to come over and ask us if we had it. Now, everytime I get thier mail by accident, I always walk it over there to them.

Now this time, she came over and had a bad attitude and was almost like accusing us of having her W-2. Bad attitude and it really ticked my wife off, because we come from a place where people usually dont act like that, and I am just giving one of many examples. Even one of my neighbors came to me and said that we were the only nice ppl that came over and said HI to them and so forth. So are people in Orlando always mad like this or unhappy? I dont even want to begin talking about what I have witnessed on the roads.
I was raised in Florida and moved out of state at the tender age of 27.
One day, there was a lady who knocked on our door and kindly introduced herself. Many of the neighbors in our community are nice people. It depends on where you live. I lived in Tampa for the majority of my youth. I have experienced rudeness, politeness, and kindness as a native of Tampa.

My wife and I are debating a move to Orlando, FL. I experienced my fair share of aggression in Greensboro,NC. People in Greensboro need to relax. There are a lot of passive aggressive people in that city. I had to protect my wife on a few occasions from verbal hostilities in Greensboro. She is a short Japanese women and I guess people are not afraid to bad mouth her. In Massachusetts, people are actually nice to interact with, except in traffic.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:31 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,493,150 times
I have noticed this as well, I have a neighbor who has issues, I have tried to be friendly but frankly I have lost my patience with this with him.

I love living here in Florida, I know there are certainly negative things about it but there are negatives everywhere.

I wish someone would lace the water with some uppers or something because people who are angry all the time, or depressed all the time are just not who I want to be around.

I used to have an older man who was a friend, he couldn't open his mouth without complaining.

I have had some hard things happen and some things are still going on that are hard but if thats all you concentrate on then of course your going to be depressed. I can think of so many positive things in my life that certainly outweight the negative.

People like this lack boundaries and a real understanding of how they sound. There are times when you have to just tell it like it is. Which is what I plan on doing next time my neighbor has something snotty to say.

When someone has a foul mouth, I ask them if they kiss their Mother with that mouth. If someone is just grumpy and negative all the time I tell them I think they should seek therapy for being rude and nasty.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:27 PM

8 posts, read 27,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itravel View Post
I was raised in Florida and moved out of state at the tender age of 27.
One day, there was a lady who knocked on our door and kindly introduced herself. Many of the neighbors in our community are nice people. It depends on where you live. I lived in Tampa for the majority of my youth. I have experienced rudeness, politeness, and kindness as a native of Tampa.

My wife and I are debating a move to Orlando, FL. I experienced my fair share of aggression in Greensboro,NC. People in Greensboro need to relax. There are a lot of passive aggressive people in that city. I had to protect my wife on a few occasions from verbal hostilities in Greensboro. She is a short Japanese women and I guess people are not afraid to bad mouth her. In Massachusetts, people are actually nice to interact with, except in traffic.

If you think Greensboro NC is bad, I would really reconsider moving to Orlando. Orlando is a completely different animal, believe me.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:47 AM

15 posts, read 72,140 times
Honestly, having lived in Orlando for the past twelve years, I feel that people here are very rude.

As far as unhappy, that's just people like me who can't wait to move away.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:22 PM

6 posts, read 29,156 times
News::Nation's Angriest Cities Not What You'd Expect (broken link)

Apparently, Orlando is the least happy city in the nation. I wish I could argue with this, but my experiences have more than supported this claim.

Best,
TheChad

Old 02-26-2008, 03:54 PM

91 posts, read 496,693 times
It used to be friendly here. Everybody used to wave. And when you moved into a neighborhood the Welcome Wagon used to come by. So I would say it has to do with all the people who have moved here in the last 20 years and thought they were going to come down here and make alot of money and live great. They found out that the pay isn't that great and it's hard to make it here.
Guess what? The pay has always been low here. Even back in the 60's and 70's. Yes it was cheaper to live here then but there wasn't as many people here.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:06 AM

127 posts, read 500,445 times
Hm, i guess im lucky. I've lived in Orlando for almost 12 years now....and we were welcomed the first night by our neighbor with her homemade apple pie (and im still alive so it was laced or anything LOL) and since they moved we have had 2 diff neighbors, all nice and we talk to them every time we see them outside, same with most of the nieghborhood. I do notice bad attitudes some places we go...but i guess i just tend to ignore it.

To me, you don't deserve my attention if you are a complete stranger who is acting like a stuck-up snot not getting thier way...i've prob been flicked off and cussed at and been rudlely talked to more times than i can count but i just ignore it and smile at them and go on my way. not worth my energy. Now if it ever crossed the line and my safety was threaten...then oh hell no..watch out!! haha...but for now im content.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:13 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,603,614 times
you are nice. wounded people look for nice people to dump on.
mean people are not safe to vent to.
they are angry. many came to america thinking money would fix everything, it did not.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:14 AM

55 posts, read 309,548 times
A lot of people in orlando are not happy. How could anyone be happy when they find that they have to work for half of what they use to earn else where. Can you walk with your head held high knowing that the money you earn is not enough to cover rent/mortgage, bills, food, gas, and insurance for the whole month? with all the traffic, bull**** high cost of living, crime, lower pay, competition for the good jobs, orlando is a stressful place to live,
Ive lived there once and never again. very few get a lucky break, a chance. it seems like most people have to push very hard to get ahead because of competition with other ethnic groups who only look out for themselves and their own. There are more racial divisions in Orlando. and people don't want to speak or hear the truth.
Ive prospered since Ive left this concrete jungle. It was better to leave than stay and fight a losing battle, which many are doing and now they are mad.
If people had spent more time researching the job market, pay, cost of living etc they wouldn't be squealing like a pig!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando