Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:25 PM

33 posts, read 99,204 times

Advertisements

I am from New York and in New York when you get an interview you are usually told right away or within a week as to whether or not you got the job. Here, my experience has been different. I get the interviews. They then tell me that I will be contacted or that I should contact them (perspective employer). Well guess what people, I have tried tirelessly to get feedback as to whether or not I got the job(s) and all I get is the run around. Why do they do that?/

I have also noticed that I am only the one (female) going on interviews in pumps, stockings, and a dark suit with minimal makeup. Am I doing something wrong here?

I am in social service with a graduate degree and NOTHING!
Positive feedback please. I am desparate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,964,642 times
First thing, your not in New York so get that out of your head, second the job market here sucks, a million people are out looking for jobs the company's are probably just sorting thru the applications.

It wasn`t like this before all this crap with the economy.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:10 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
You have to remember that Orlando is flooded with professionals willing to work for extremely low wages. The few employers that are hiring are looking for the best "deal". I know friends that have had to numb down their resumes just to have the hope of a call back. You have to remember that Orlando has an economy that is dominated by low-wage service jobs and tourism. Career opportunities for professional are minimal compared to other states and you have to work for low-wages if you even want to have a chance at landing a job.

BTW, have you tried applying at the Office of the Public Defender?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:29 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,699 times
Also, being such a transient state, job opportunities are being applied for by some people who are absolutely unqualified. This causes employers to take extra steps to insure their choice of candidates. It has really always been that way here unless you know someone.
Don't give up! Figure 1 week per $10k of salary typically.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:07 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesedoll View Post
I am from New York and in New York when you get an interview you are usually told right away or within a week as to whether or not you got the job. Here, my experience has been different. I get the interviews. They then tell me that I will be contacted or that I should contact them (perspective employer). Well guess what people, I have tried tirelessly to get feedback as to whether or not I got the job(s) and all I get is the run around. Why do they do that?/

I have also noticed that I am only the one (female) going on interviews in pumps, stockings, and a dark suit with minimal makeup. Am I doing something wrong here?

I noticed this too! I came here from NJ and up there they usually let you know by at least the second interview whether or not you got the job. Down here, they don't even send you a letter letting you know they are no longer considering you for the job. They just leave you hanging. Employers seem to like to "shop" around more down here than they did in NYC/NJ.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:44 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesedoll View Post

Florida is not NYC, ditch the dark suit, and adapt to lighter fare.
You are looking for a job as a transplant when we have gazillions of Floridians who are out of work.....

Old 08-08-2008, 08:00 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Florida is not NYC, ditch the dark suit, and adapt to lighter fare.
You are looking for a job as a transplant when we have gazillions of Floridians who are out of work.....
She is more than entitled to try and find work as a transplant. What is she not suppose to look for work in order to help out the local's??? That's what you seem to be implying here.

My advise to you, Chinesedoll would be try switching up your approach, try several different flavor's of your resume & of course don't give up. It always helps to know someone. Do you have any family or close friends here?

Old 08-09-2008, 10:58 AM

43 posts, read 105,561 times
Florida is in a recession right now, and as a result there are more job seekers than jobs. Just like the real estate market is a buyer's market, the job market is an "employer's market". Employers get the pick of the litter in this market, and have the time to interview as many candidates as they'd like to make the right choice.

I would recommend that you really polish your resume by tailoring it for each position you apply for. Make sure that relevant experience really stands out. Also, try doing some mock interviews with friends or family. If anything, it will help you practice those difficult questions employers love to ask.

Good luck! It's a tough market out there right now, but despite what many people on this board say, there are plenty of good paying jobs for well qualified individuals.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:18 PM

217 posts, read 921,709 times
I live in New York City now, but lived for about six or so years in East Central Fla. The job market in the area is pretty rough. The money isn't there at all, is it? Yet some people manage to really make it quite well in Florida. My experience, generally, is that if you can't make it anywhere, you can make it in New York City as that's where there are lots of jobs and lots of need. Orlando's tough. Last time I visited, which was November 07, housing prices were still obnoxious. Got a buddy living in Celebration and it's nice and all, but I wasn't able to discern just where all the jobs were to support such an expensive community. Everyone's not a doctor, lawyer or self-made millionaire, are they? Engineering jobs in the area, for all the success my peers seemed to have, just did not pay enough (and still do not) to justify $500k+ houses.

HOWEVER, my advice - free and since you're asking - is to not give up the search and don't lose focus. There's not a day that goes by when I think back to the desperate times I had and wish that I stuck it out just a little bit more... For me, New York City was the right move, but had I gotten out of school in 1994 and not 1992... well, rats... but I shouldn't look back...

But enough about me... Good luck to you, Chinesedoll.

Last edited by Otis_Nevins; 08-09-2008 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-09-2008, 02:02 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
She is more than entitled to try and find work as a transplant. What is she not suppose to look for work in order to help out the local's??? That's what you seem to be implying here.

My advise to you, Chinesedoll would be try switching up your approach, try several different flavor's of your resume & of course don't give up. It always helps to know someone. Do you have any family or close friends here?
I dont think that is what Ladywithafan was trying to say that she should not apply for jobs in Florida. I think their are many qualified Floridians looking for work, so it is going to harder for a person that never worked here to be taken seriously (because they may be seen as just testing the waters and will move back if things dont work out).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando