Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 04:28 PM

36 posts, read 171,953 times

Advertisements

I will relocating to the orlando area and i am in need of a good hair stylist. I am african american and i would prefer someone that has experience with african american hair and good prices. thank you

Old 04-04-2008, 12:49 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NewYork View Post
I will relocating to the orlando area and i am in need of a good hair stylist. I am african american and i would prefer someone that has experience with african american hair and good prices. thank you
Hi Ms. New York,
I also just moved from Jersey and was looking for a good hair salon in the Orlando area. I've done so much research online..but to no avail. The other day, I was watching television and a commercial for De Essence Studio came on. I figure if they are willing to spend money on an advertisement..they must be good and upscale. I visited them on Monday and the place looks o.k. but once I saw the hairstylist's portfolio..i was quite impressed. So I made an appointment for next Wednesday.

I am very picky about my hair..I'm big on hair care as well as having the latest styles etc. Its hard to find that combination. My hope is that this Derrick guy knows what he's doing! I'll never find another stylist like my girl, Tamika, in Jersey..but what can I tell you... I'll be sure to keep you posted!!

Oh, you can check out their website www.deessence.com (http://www.deessence.com - broken link).

Old 04-05-2008, 05:25 AM

36 posts, read 171,953 times
Hi Trishp7 ! I Really Appreciate The Info. Please Keep Me Posted On How Everything Went At The New Salon. I'm Just Like You, It's Gonna Be So Hard To Replace My My Stylist Wendy In Brooklyn..... But You Know How That Goes. Thanks Again.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Hi Trishp7 ! I Really Appreciate The Info. Please Keep Me Posted On How Everything Went At The New Salon. I'm Just Like You, It's Gonna Be So Hard To Replace My My Stylist Wendy In Brooklyn..... But You Know How That Goes. Thanks Again.
No problem!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:26 AM

40 posts, read 247,344 times
Trish, Girl I knew you was black when I read your post about the snakes. You sounded so much like me it was unreal. Wasnt till I ran over this post that I realized you actually were. Well hook me up too. I'll be there sometime in May and I am sure I'll need my "do-did" and some humidity resistant hairspray. Hope they serve wine. Also let me know of a good neighborhood and church if you know any. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissyq View Post
Trish, Girl I knew you was black when I read your post about the snakes. You sounded so much like me it was unreal. Wasnt till I ran over this post that I realized you actually were. Well hook me up too. I'll be there sometime in May and I am sure I'll need my "do-did" and some humidity resistant hairspray. Hope they serve wine. Also let me know of a good neighborhood and church if you know any. Thanks.
Lol..too funny! I'm glad to know that there a few of us out there that can relate!! Its a struggle girl!!

As far as my hair..i'm sticking to a curly weave. i figure the stylist can't go wrong with a curly weave..neither can the humidity. I was bugging out when I saw the sisters down here and how jacked up their do was! But this brother seems to know what he's doing. And I believe he's from North. There were other stylists there from NY and DC. So if it doesnt work with him..I'll check out the others. If not, I'll have to put it in my budget to fly back to Jersey every month and half and have my girl Mika hook a sista up!! Cannot be walking around looking country.. Nuh uh!!

As far as a church, as a matter of fact the stylist from DC gave me her card...I'll have to look in my purse. I'll get back to you on that one! And I'll be sure to keep you posted about the new do!

P.S. I highly doubt they serve wine..its not that type of upscale spot. I miss that about my salon too..wine and cheese. But i dont care..as long as I can walk out of the salon with hair under my weave and my head held high..i'm good to go!!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishP7 View Post
Lol..too funny! I'm glad to know that there a few of us out there that can relate!! Its a struggle girl!!

As far as my hair..i'm sticking to a curly weave. i figure the stylist can't go wrong with a curly weave..neither can the humidity. I was bugging out when I saw the sisters down here and how jacked up their do was! But this brother seems to know what he's doing. And I believe he's from North. There were other stylists there from NY and DC. So if it doesnt work with him..I'll check out the others. If not, I'll have to put it in my budget to fly back to Jersey every month and half and have my girl Mika hook a sista up!! Cannot be walking around looking country.. Nuh uh!!

As far as a church, as a matter of fact the stylist from DC gave me her card...I'll have to look in my purse. I'll get back to you on that one! And I'll be sure to keep you posted about the new do!

P.S. I highly doubt they serve wine..its not that type of upscale spot. I miss that about my salon too..wine and cheese. But i dont care..as long as I can walk out of the salon with hair under my weave and my head held high..i'm good to go!!
You are hilarious girl. Cant wait to sit under neath the hairdryer next to you in a few months And you are making mad crazy sense right now. I didnt even think about the curly weave. They look great in any kinda weather. I used to rock that style alot when I lived in Alaska because I was always taking my big ole muff hats on and off. That sounds like the definite ticket. I hope ole boy really hooks you up, if not then we will just have to split up and run them all one by one till we find one. Well anyway...I'll look up that church when you find the name of it, oh and I went to that deessence website it didnt work for me. Did it work for you?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:34 AM

21 posts, read 68,028 times
Smile Black hair care and Churches

Quote:

Oh thank goodness I am not the only one. I am also african american from Detroit, and I will be moving to Orlando in the fall and was wondering about my hair and a baptist church to attend too. I have just began my search today. I would like to be kept informed and post any thing I uncover.

Please keep me in mind with any new discoveries.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:05 PM

Back in the day when I lived in NY my salon was a Dominican salon. They even hooked up Jeri Curls. They are pretty big in Queens and have been for many many years. There hair is very similar to our anyway. Oh and I cant believe you cancelled your appoint Trish. I am sorry you are under the weather but you know when you come out of the salon you be feeling spectacular !!!

Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissyq View Post
Back in the day when I lived in NY my salon was a Dominican salon. They even hooked up Jeri Curls. They are pretty big in Queens and have been for many many years. There hair is very similar to our anyway. Oh and I cant believe you cancelled your appoint Trish. I am sorry you are under the weather but you know when you come out of the salon you be feeling spectacular !!!
Girl, I am sick as a dog!! Trust me..I would have been up in the chair getting the do washed..but I just couldnt move..might have been somethng i ate..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando