Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 08:48 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times

Advertisements

Saw this in the Sentinel today. Wow, good news for once. I expect the new Magic arena also to help that area, as the Staples Center did in LA.

In Parramore, kids playing replace drug dealers and hookers - OrlandoSentinel.com

Pine Hills crime is down due to measures taken by new Sheriff Demings:

Pine Hills making strides against crime - OrlandoSentinel.com

Also, look at the murder rate so far in 2009, 34 this year and it is almost August, compared to 123 in 2008. On pace to cut last year's total in half:

Orlando-Area Murder Map 2009 - OrlandoSentinel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:38 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,009 times
That does seem like good news; especially the murder rate for 2009. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
It all seems to be moving to the Millennia area, unfortunately.

Frankly with it's close proximatey to the arena and downtown nightlife as well as cheap real estate, Parramore is primed to become regentrified over the next decade. Unfortunately this could end up causing rents to skyrocket, making it unaffordable to many of it's current residents.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:16 AM

631 posts, read 2,452,135 times
No murders in a year is fantastic...and I saw an article in the Orlando Sentinel recently that said the rest of crime was down 50% total. I agree about the rents though - as soon as it is gentrified you can bet it will become $$$$ and keep people out that would help make the city more fun and diverse.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 AM

258 posts, read 812,335 times
Finally some good news!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:14 AM

88 posts, read 312,332 times
Outside of the murder rate (kinda hard to fake that one), I do not trust ANY published crime statistics. They can say whatever officials want them to say. I put greater weight on what myself and others observe during the course of our daily lives. And if the residents of Parramore are saying that they see and feel actual improvement, then that is probably a good sign for that area.

However, I find it hard to believe that any meaningful decrease in crime can be accomplished just through police tactics. I mean, do we really think that the people who were committing crimes have now decided to wake up in the morning and get jobs? Even if the jobs were available, which they aren't, the thought of working for a living is completely foreign to the criminal mind. It's not like they are all in jail/prison, as those institutions have been operating at capacity for quite a while now...you put one in, another one has to pop out somewhere else. Did the criminal's union take a vote and decide to relocate to another city? Not likely either. Any meaningful change in crime will have to come through massive political change.

P.S. - For a great look (of course highly dramatized) at the ways and reasons that crime statistics can be manipulated, check out the five seasons of "The Wire", which was produced by HBO. In my opinion, and that of a lot of critics, it is the best show television has ever produced. Great stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: