Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 01:13 PM

15 posts, read 57,138 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I hope you guys can give me some advices how to deal with this rental company..

I has been renting this house for one year and a half.. The lease expired in Feb09.. and we signed another contract for 6 more months ( which is ended at the end of this month ) We did not know the landlord stopped paying mortgage for the bank since Jan09 .. then in June, a lady from rental company called us and said the owner put the house for short sale and someone would come to the house to take pictures.. I was kind of shock cause my husband and I both work from home.. But she ensured me we would be Ok for awhile . She told me keep paying rent.. incase if I got kicked out of the house , they will refund the remaining days of the month rent that I paid for that month .. what a jerk ! then I told her I was not renew the contract when it ends. She also agree that ( but I was so stupid not put it in writting ) .. One morning, a sherift showed up at my door with papers show that the houses has been in preforeclosure and the owner has 60 days to reponse.. We thought that the rental company is gonna let us move out when the lease expired.. I just got the mail said I have to pay the rent until Oct 31 after we called them in August to make sure about the move out date.. ! They said we were supposed to give them a 60 days notice in writting! So here are the questions:
What happened if I moved out at the end of this month ? ( they still keep my one month security deposit )
Can I hire a lawyer to sue this company, cause they put a risk of us loosing our job ? ( we both work from home .. what happened if we are kicked out of the house because of the foreclosure process)

I do appreciate you feedback, and sorry for a long long message ..

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:21 PM

793 posts, read 2,525,262 times
My advice is to call a Real Estate Attorney.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
"Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act of 2009." This legislation provided that leases would survive a foreclosure -- meaning the tenant could stay at least until the end of the lease, and that month-to-month tenants would be entitled to 90 days' notice before having to move out (this notice period is longer than any state's non-foreclosure notice period, a real boon to tenants).

So they can't just throw you out. The law is clear. You are a month-to-month tenant, so you can stay as long as you want until THEY give you 90 DAYS notice.

http://thomas.loc.gov/home/gpoxmlc111/s896_enr.xml

I would also tell the property management that you want to know where your security deposit is, and get proof of that. If THEY are holding it, keep paying your rent to them, there's no reason you won't be able to get it back when you move. If the former landlord is holding it, tell them you will be putting the last months rent into an escrow account until you get your security back. (Make sure you do put it into escrow and provide them proof of this when it's due.)

Old 08-21-2009, 06:37 AM

15 posts, read 57,138 times
Thanks guys for your advice..I will call a real estate atorney to find out !

Old 04-27-2015, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 875 times
The tenant foreclosure act of 2009 is no longer in effect it expired in December 31,2014 you do have. To continue to pay the rent to the owner/ management company. If you go to eviction court the judge will tell you it has nothing to do with. The owner not paying the mortgage. Your agreement is with the owner and. Not the bank. It's they area good management company they will have your deposit in their escrow account and not the owner.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:12 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby47362 View Post
The tenant foreclosure act of 2009 is no longer in effect it expired in December 31,2014 you do have. To continue to pay the rent to the owner/ management company. If you go to eviction court the judge will tell you it has nothing to do with. The owner not paying the mortgage. Your agreement is with the owner and. Not the bank. It's they area good management company they will have your deposit in their escrow account and not the owner.
The tenant and the rest of this theme's posts were posted in 2009 so it did apply for them. This is a 6 year old post you brought back to life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando