Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 11:13 PM

18 posts, read 131,491 times

Advertisements

This thread, that I started quite a while ago (OMG, was it really 2009??) has been dormant for a long time!

Now that we've spent 3 entire winters (with one in between that we used to travel to other countries)as long-distance snowbirds (from Germany) in Florida, I'd like to contribute our solution to the original problem. This might not work for others, but it was the best possibility for us:
1. We got an American Express Platinum Card in Germany (which is our permanent address and banking connection). Although this card is expensive at about $800 per year, it has some great benefits! One of the biggest advantages (not identical with the T&Cs of AMEX cards in the U.S.) is that it includes full rental car insurance (CDW and Liability) for a total of 240 days a year anywhere in the world, each trip up to 120 days!
2. Each winter I had 6 rental car reservations, each of 28 days -- the first four reservations were done through the cheapest possibility (most of the time that meant using my Costco membership, which included the 2nd driver fee-free). Those four reservations brought us up to almost the entire 120 days. After that I followed up with two pre-paid, but fully refundable, reservations through our german AAA equivalent (ADAC). Again these were for approx. 28 days each and, although certainly more expensive than Costco and Co., included ALL insurance, taxes, fees, and second driver included.

So, with that one card, our problem was solved (not inexpensively, but cheaper than messing with buying a car, car insurance, tags, repairs, storage for the months that we're not here etc. etc.)

Additionally, this great AMEX Germany card includes the same conditions for medical coverage anywhere in the world. 240 days a year, each trip up to 120 days. (And the self-deductible is also decent, with approx. $280 or Euros 200. Car insurance has the same self-deductible)

Sorry to be so long-winded, but thought it made sense to reply to all those who had great suggestions for our situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 11:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Thanks for the update!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: