Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,583 times

Advertisements

It is human nature to complain when things dont go our way, and we tend to tell everyone about bad things vs good. I visited kissimmee twice now and loved it both times. Now I am moving there with my family. I come on here and I am freaked out by allof the terrible things being said. so, if you live in kissimmee / orlando, do you love it there, and why? If you have a family and live in a good neighborhood, where is that? If you love living in kissimmee, tell me why. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 12:36 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GringaBoricua View Post
It is human nature to complain when things dont go our way, and we tend to tell everyone about bad things vs good. I visited kissimmee twice now and loved it both times. Now I am moving there with my family. I come on here and I am freaked out by allof the terrible things being said. so, if you live in kissimmee / orlando, do you love it there, and why? If you have a family and live in a good neighborhood, where is that? If you love living in kissimmee, tell me why. Thanks
We don't live there, but our son lives there and we thank God every day that he is no longer living in the apartment off Kirkman in Orlando. He lives clear on the West side of Kissimmee just off 192 so only about 5 or 6 miles from Disney's AK. A lot of the houses in his neighborhood are vacation homes, but it has not bothered them at all. He never sees or hears the tourists there for the week or month, just the full time neighbors. They have no qualms about walking the dog after dark and have not had any problems there for the 3 years he has been there. He loves it there. They do not have kids so don't know about the schools.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:27 PM

174 posts, read 455,308 times
If you have kids, Kissimmee has the worst schools in the area. You can check out GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community and SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools to see what I mean.

If you don't have kids then that's a different story. But I know it's not as nice as other areas, ie some areas of Orlando. If you live in a neighborhood that allows short term rentals, you will never know who your neighbors are. That can be bad if they come and want to party all week while they're visiting, you can't do anything about it.

I've heard Kissimmee referred to as Little Puerto Rico. I grew up in Brooklyn NY and it reminds me of there. Good luck!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Visiting someplace on vacation and living there are two very, very different things. Once you live someplace, the rose colored glasses quickly come off.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:24 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Visiting someplace on vacation and living there are two very, very different things. Once you live someplace, the rose colored glasses quickly come off.
esp when it comes to kissimmee!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,583 times
If Kissimmee is called little Puerto Rico, then that's where i want to be. I am full blooded Puerto Rican. as far as the schools... where i live now the schools are not great either...I do have a cousin who teaches in Kissimmee schools and i plan on obtaining my teaching certification in florida and teaching in kissimmee schools. In the 7 years i have been living in Georgia, I have never had a neighbor come meet me, though i have made efforts to get to know my neighbors... it no longer bothers me to not know who lives on my street. The idea that its touristy attracts me, because there's always something to do with the family. The crime rate and murder rate is so high where i live now, i dont see it being any worse there. My aunt and my cousin live there and they love it. maybe its because they are puerto ricans...

Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,124 times
Actually, I thought Poinciana was the one that had gotten the nickname of little Puerto Rico?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 AM

96 posts, read 187,076 times
Well, I'll tell you - I do not live in Orlando (yet) but I have visited that area several times as a "resident" extensive job and home hunting experience. I do not like it. I live in Elizabeth NJ which is right next door to Newark. (Yes the infamous Newark) and I am used to the "bad and ugly" and I thought that Kissimmee/Poinciana area was pretty run down. Unkept yards, houses falling apart, a lot of people "hanging out" on the streets, shopping carts etc. It reminded me of Pine Hills. Just my two cents.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:14 PM

53 posts, read 108,444 times
Default U nailed it! Nice community - I'm white, Arab. I have no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringaBoricua View Post
If Kissimmee is called little Puerto Rico, then that's where i want to be. I am full blooded Puerto Rican. as far as the schools... where i live now the schools are not great either...I do have a cousin who teaches in Kissimmee schools and i plan on obtaining my teaching certification in florida and teaching in kissimmee schools. In the 7 years i have been living in Georgia, I have never had a neighbor come meet me, though i have made efforts to get to know my neighbors... it no longer bothers me to not know who lives on my street. The idea that its touristy attracts me, because there's always something to do with the family. The crime rate and murder rate is so high where i live now, i dont see it being any worse there. My aunt and my cousin live there and they love it. maybe its because they are puerto ricans...

To be honest, it is Poinciana called little PR. It is all racism. Not school. I've met fine parents who are spanish. they want the best. Fact is, that whites can not except how extrovert PRs are or Brazilians or Venezulens (ALTHOUGH THEY ALL HAVE THEIR DIFFERENCES IN OUTLOOK ON LIFE!). They are tooo protestant. Do not serve them sheep head to eat! Or cows tongue! Oh, I forgot...that is Lebanese Maronite! Damn it! But, we also serve oozo (called arak - or from white man's tongue: mother's milk).

LUV it!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:19 PM

53 posts, read 108,444 times
Default Kissimmmeee! International! And I'd like to keep it that way!

Kissimmee should have it's own boundries on who can come in. Now, that sound racist, but I don't want a ton of Northerners coming here and acting as if I'm stupid when I'm from the North myself. But, I love my British, Canucks, PRs, VENS, Braz, Philo, and more.... I love my mix of neighbors. I have to say, that screw those who think Kissimmmee is not a good area to move to. And screw the mayor, who can not straighten up neighborhoods, bring in business on 192...to make other's think so!

Come here and vote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando