Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:09 AM

786 posts, read 4,735,342 times

Advertisements

I went for a job interview a few days ago and was completely intimidated by a man I talked to. He was the President of a Big Real-estate Company and had such an air of confidence and authority. He was built like a football player and was incredibly handsome and poised. He seemed like one of those people that people deferred to and noticed when he walked in a room.

I just felt small in his presence. I could tell he know his effect on people and liked it. He seemed like he knew he intimidated people and liked to play with them. I could tell he did not see me as being worthy of his time and efforts. So I wished the interview would end and I would be able to leave and escape.

Even with all I have done and accomplished, this man made me a small intimidated boy again. Can this happen to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 07:18 AM

27,366 posts, read 27,416,550 times
Nah, I think I intimidate people with my high-voltage 'aura' (lol!).

Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,438,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I went for a job interview a few days ago and was completely intimidated by a man I talked to. He was the President of a Big Real-estate Company and had such an air of confidence and authority. He was built like a football player and was incredibly handsome and poised. He seemed like one of those people that people deferred to and noticed when he walked in a room.

I just felt small in his presence. I could tell he know his effect on people and liked it. He seemed like he knew he intimidated people and liked to play with them. I could tell he did not see me as being worthy of his time and efforts. So I wished the interview would end and I would be able to leave and escape.

Even with all I have done and accomplished, this man made me a small intimidated boy again. Can this happen to you?
I just had something similar happen to me as well. I met my new District Manager (I was the one getting transfered into HIS district), and he is Mr. Authority himself!
I was told that he was a State Trooper in Georgia years ago
I felt like I was back in Highschool, getting called and talked to by the principle!
Huh.......
I guess he sensed me being uncomfortable......and enjoyed it. LOL.

Last edited by MB2; 08-23-2007 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: add on

Old 08-23-2007, 08:25 AM

13,607 posts, read 21,410,739 times
When I was younger it seemed I was intimidated easily.My dad was a hardass,not a easy person to deal with who often verbally made me feel 1 inch tall.Though on the flip side he was a most loving father also.

As the years have gone by I broke out of my shell and now have confidence and peace of mind about myself.I realize I have short comings yet have many good qualities also.I am comfortable with myself and view myself as equal to anybody else,not below not above but equal.

I was last intimidated by my boss before I sold my house and split Miami.I wasn't intimidated by him,but by the financial burden I had which when pay plans at work would change,and in my business it's a roller coaster I felt trapped.Now that I'm in a different situation from now on anybody that messes with me in employment I can walkaway if treated wrongly because that financial burden is gone.No more intimidation in negotiating.

My dad is ex military,sometimes he would take me on a base to shop,I have long hair and sometimes the military folk would look at me as a monstrosity which would intimidate me,though I love those folks to high heaven,they just need to talk to me to know the real me,not what their eyes think.

Last edited by lionking; 08-23-2007 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: add on

Old 08-23-2007, 09:01 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,367,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post

This guy doesn't sound intimidating ... just obnoxious! When I meet or hear of people like this I wonder just how many opportunities they have missed out on.

I had two bosses both large men with some power thing kicking between their ears. It didn't spark creativity amongst their colleagues or their staff, just a lot of tension. Not a nice atmosphere to work in.

I'd be counting my blessings that I wouldn't be working for/with someone like that!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:28 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,643,476 times
I tend to find very knowledgeable people intimidating but in a good way. For example 2 of my modern day intellectual "heroes" ( for want of a better word ) are Michael Wood and Simon Schama. I was lucky enough to meet both and they made me feel intellectually "dwarfed" so to speak but I admire both greatly and wish I had all that knowledge and the wondrous way they have of disseminating it. I also find people who have achieved a lot in their lives ( I do not mean financially but intellectually, socially and ethically) very intimidating as it makes me realise just how little I know and have managed to do. But on the plus side these people make me want to be like them more and encourage me to strive for better which has to be a positive !

Old 08-23-2007, 10:30 AM

10,195 posts, read 11,178,712 times
I only get intimdiated with Priests/Ministers or anyone affliated with church. The higher ups -

Old 08-23-2007, 10:47 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,281,924 times
Default Yes...

People that are highly opinionated (and outspoken about it) intimidate me. I guess I think that if they are that opinionated, that they will also be critical of me. I don't know why I even care (if it's not someone that I need to impress such as a boss, potential boss, etc.) but for some reason, I do. (I am actually pretty opinionated myself but I keep that fact to myself...except on CD, of course!)

Old 08-23-2007, 01:19 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,139,917 times
Nope
I am not easily intimidated
In my volunteer work I have worked with presidents of companies, sports figures etc. As far as I am concerned everyone puts their pants on the same way.
I treat everyone with the same respect I want to receive.
The funny thing is I have been told many times that most well known people really like the fact that I treat them like a regular person.
Then you get the obnoxious types who think they are "gods gift". Life is to short to interact with these type.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:52 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,354,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
People that are highly opinionated (and outspoken about it) intimidate me. I guess I think that if they are that opinionated, that they will also be critical of me. I don't know why I even care (if it's not someone that I need to impress such as a boss, potential boss, etc.) but for some reason, I do. (I am actually pretty opinionated myself but I keep that fact to myself...except on CD, of course!)
KayKay,
I am really opinionated too. Some people like that and some don't but I definately don't want to intimidate anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics