Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times

Advertisements

Greetings, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

BEWARE EMAIL CHAIN LETTERS LIKE THIS ONE

Kids, it's time once again to remind everyone that most email chain letters are BOGUS! I received this one (which I've shortened a little) today from a friend with good intentions:

"The vapors inflamed and engulfed him. He jumped from his truck, screaming. His neighbor came out of her house with a dozen eggs . . . She broke them, separating the whites from the yolks . . . [and applied] the whites on the young man's face. When the ambulance arrived and when the EMTs saw the young man, they asked who had done this. Everyone pointed to the lady in charge. They congratulated her and said: "You have saved his face." By the end of the summer, the young man brought the lady a bouquet of roses to thank her. His face was like a baby's skin.

HEALING MIRACLE FOR BURNS

Keep in mind this treatment of burns which is included in teaching beginner firemen this method. First aid consists of spraying cold water on the affected area until the heat is reduced and stops burning the layers of skin. Then, spread egg whites on the affected area.

One woman burned a large part of her hand with boiling water. In spite of her pain, she ran cold faucet water on her hand, separated 2 egg whites from the yolks, beat them slightly and dipped her hand in the solution. The whites then dried and formed a protective layer. She later learned that the egg white is a natural collagen . . . she no longer felt any pain and the next day there was hardly a trace of the burn. . . . The burned area was totally regenerated thanks to the collagen in the egg whites, a placenta full of vitamins.

This information could be helpful to everyone: Please pass it on."

Please, please do NOT believe stuff like this, kids! This is an excellent example of how a chain letter email can be downright dangerous. Read the article on snopes.com about the origin of this particular chain letter: snopes.com: Egg Whites Prevent Burns?

DO NOT EVER use egg whites to treat a burn, and DO NOT run cold water on severe burns.

And DO NOT FORWARD and perpetuate a chain letter email unless you check it out first and are absolutely certain that the information contained in it is fact and not fiction. It's most likely bogus.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
I don't read E-mail usually unless told about something coming from family members. I had a deep puncture wound in my leg just above my knee as a child. I was around 10 or 12 maybe. I stepped off the front porch at my g-parents house and opened a truck door. The bottom corner of the door was very sharp and stuck me in the leg. My grandmother after treating the wound, removed the skin film from inside an egg and placed it over the wound. Worked great for that. I wouldn't do anything crazy with bad burns ....good tip Pam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 11:26 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
The majority of my e-mails are filtered out and I only respond to those that I genuinely know.

Hey Pam, what brand of soapbox is that, Tide or ? It's a good one.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 AM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I feel that chain letters are a form of emotional blackmail and I won't touch them.

Thanks Pam.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:15 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
I don't even open them, and certainly those end with me....

Old 11-29-2011, 05:19 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
~~Delete~~

Old 11-29-2011, 05:47 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
I don't pass these chain emails along. Thanks for the information Pam. I've never heard of using egg whites for a burn. That's interesting as is Satx's reply. You can't believe everything you read...

Old 11-29-2011, 06:10 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,958 times
Excellent tip. Please stay on your soap box.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:12 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Sorry, but it absolutely blows me away why anyone even opens those mailings!
Then, later, you'll be all surprised when bad stuff happens on your computer.
People just can't resist opening up the door to viruses, adware, spam, malware, keyloggers, phishing.....and then they often send it to their friends!
When someone sends that crap to me I delete it and either warn them to never ever send that stuff to my address OR I just 100% discontinue being friends with them, for real.

Last edited by rainroosty; 11-29-2011 at 07:47 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
In some odd way this post actually reminded me I had a favorite shirt in the dryer that needed
to be taken out in a timely manner. So...............thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics