Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times

Advertisements

...in any way, shape, or form?

I hear on a daily basis (especially while driving taxi) people using the word hate for many, many things. I also see the word hate here in many threads/posts. From inanimate to all things living. My usual response is "Don't hate. It's where all other four letter words, and then some, come from". (It usually, at least, gets a laugh) While there are, and more than likely always will be, things to be 'tired of' hate is inconducive. Just because I don't know how someone can believe in god (no substance), is attracted to the same sex (which I've never had a problem with), is a different color (never a problem there either), or treated me badly (had a time getting over this one), and so on, doesn't make it right (or conducive) to hate. None of us have the right anyway.

You can hate me. But I will not hate you back. My life is much better without it. Try living without hate.

From... ADL and NBC Raise Awareness About Consequences of Hate Through "The More You Know" Anti-Bias Segments

New York, NY, December 13, 2006 … "If you want to rid the world of hate, then don't pass it on to your children. Hate is something they shouldn't inherit".

From Dictionary.com...

1. to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest: to hate the enemy; to hate bigotry.
2. to be unwilling; dislike: I hate to do it.

From... Hatred - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hatred (or hate) is a deep and emotional extreme dislike, directed against a certain object or class of objects. The objects of such hatred can vary widely, from inanimate objects to animals, oneself or other people, entire groups of people, people in general, existence, or the whole world. Though not necessarily, hatred is often associated with feelings of anger and disposition towards hostility against the objects of hatred. Hatred can drive oneself to extreme actions. Actions upon people or oneself after a lingering thought are not uncommon. Hatred can result in extreme behavior including violence, murder, and war.

I definitely thank my Mother on a daily basis for being the teacher she has been to me.

There are too many links to post on the 'results of hate', so here is the starting "Google" page...

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...w=1311&bih=646

How do you feel? And who do you thank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Wonderful thread topic!

I try to never use that word...

Other words suffice depending on circumstances
ie angry? resentful? hurt? We all have these...but to call those emotions hate means (to me) that we are not truly aware of what we are feeling at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
...in any way, shape, or form?

I hear on a daily basis (especially while driving taxi) people using the word hate for many, many things. I also see the word hate here in many threads/posts. From inanimate to all things living. My usual response is "Don't hate. It's where all other four letter words, and then some, come from". (It usually, at least, gets a laugh) While there are, and more than likely always will be, things to be 'tired of' hate is inconducive. Just because I don't know how someone can believe in god (no substance), is attracted to the same sex (which I've never had a problem with), is a different color (never a problem there either), or treated me badly (had a time getting over this one), and so on, doesn't make it right (or conducive) to hate. None of us have the right anyway.

You can hate me. But I will not hate you back. My life is much better without it. Try living without hate.

From... ADL and NBC Raise Awareness About Consequences of Hate Through "The More You Know" Anti-Bias Segments

New York, NY, December 13, 2006 … "If you want to rid the world of hate, then don't pass it on to your children. Hate is something they shouldn't inherit".

From Dictionary.com...

1. to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest: to hate the enemy; to hate bigotry.
2. to be unwilling; dislike: I hate to do it.

From... Hatred - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hatred (or hate) is a deep and emotional extreme dislike, directed against a certain object or class of objects. The objects of such hatred can vary widely, from inanimate objects to animals, oneself or other people, entire groups of people, people in general, existence, or the whole world. Though not necessarily, hatred is often associated with feelings of anger and disposition towards hostility against the objects of hatred. Hatred can drive oneself to extreme actions. Actions upon people or oneself after a lingering thought are not uncommon. Hatred can result in extreme behavior including violence, murder, and war.

I definitely thank my Mother on a daily basis for being the teacher she has been to me.

There are too many links to post on the 'results of hate', so here is the starting "Google" page...

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...w=1311&bih=646

How do you feel? And who do you thank?

Old 06-15-2012, 05:09 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
I can't relate to folks who hate someone because that person looks different than the hater. There are several folks in my neighborhood who are extremely prejudiced. One lady whom I like and used to admire told me she'd immediately put her home on the market if someone of color moved into the cul-de-sac. How sad to miss out on the possibility of meeting a new friend. It's awfully draining, too, IMO.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:04 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
I hate it when people are racist, but I don't hate racists, I just think they're ignorant. The worst thing is when they pass it on to their kids.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I think it's pretty clear that when someone says they "hate when this happens" they aren't referring to literal hate. I think taking "hate" literally as if it's meant that seriously all the time is being dense. It's a bit like thinking that because someone says "love ya, bye" on the phone, they want to marry you. Not quite. Both "love" and "hate" do have more casual meanings in many instances.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
If the hatred of others wearies one's soul... then one will always weary. It's too much... all u can do is show ur love it's the most powerful weapon against hate.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Highly overused word.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:23 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
OK So I won't hate child abusers or animal abusers. I'll embrace them? NOT! There are times when hate is appropriate.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,107 times
Nicely worded, nimchimpsky. That's the only time I use the word "hate" and did that on a very recent post. I think it was about forgetting to put out the trash bin for pickup ... "hate when that happens." Hate is a terrible emotion and such a waste of thought and energy. I don't have to hate the things I'm against. For example, if I encounter someone abusing a child or animal, I will do whatever I can to stop them. That's not hate. It's taking action to help, assist, do what's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I think it's pretty clear that when someone says they "hate when this happens" they aren't referring to literal hate. I think taking "hate" literally as if it's meant that seriously all the time is being dense. It's a bit like thinking that because someone says "love ya, bye" on the phone, they want to marry you. Not quite. Both "love" and "hate" do have more casual meanings in many instances.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:08 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Hate is a very real emotion and part of being human. Everybody on the planet has felt it some time in their life and will feel it again. It is what it is..... reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics