Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 PM

44,370 posts, read 20,076,303 times

Advertisements

Hello, kids! Today's Tip is about air bag safety. Scroll on down and check it out.

AIR BAG SAFETY TIPS

Child Safety Points:
  • Children 12 and under should ride buckled up in a rear seat.
  • Infants in rear facing child safety seats should NEVER ride in the front seat of a vehicle with a passenger side air bag.
  • Small children should ride in a rear seat in child safety seats approved for their age and size.
  • If a child over one year old must ride in the front seat with a passenger side air bag, put the child in a front facing child safety seat, a booster seat, or a correct fitting lap/shoulder belt - AND move the seat as far back as possible.
Adult Safety Points:
  • Everyone should buckle up with both lap and shoulder belts on every trip. Air bags are supplemental protection devices. The lap belt should be worn under the abdomen and low across the hips. The shoulder portion should come over the collar bone away from the neck and cross over the breast bone. The shoulder belt in most new cars can be adjusted on the side pillar to improve fit.
  • Driver and front passenger seats should be moved as far back as practical, particularly for shorter statured people.
Source: Air Bag Safety - The Police Notebook

Here's another very important note from another source:

The force of an airbag can hurt those who are too close to it . . . Placing yourself 10 inches (25 cm) from your driver airbag gives you a clear margin of safety. Measure this distance from the center of the steering wheel to your breastbone. Source: HowStuffWorks "Airbag Safety Concerns"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Children 12 and under should ride buckled up in a rear seat.
Infants in rear facing child safety seats should NEVER ride in the front seat of a vehicle with a passenger side air bag.

I would like to add to this.

Please, don't allow your pets to ride in the front seat either!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

Please, don't allow your pets to ride in the front seat either!

Sometimes my dog is my designated driver

Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
I make any "air bag" riding with me keep still and let me do the talking. Old air bags are the worst, and that's most of what I get in the truck or car anymore.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:31 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Great tips Pam.

Note: Watch where you place your hands on the steering wheel. If the bag goes off you could break an arm or smash your face. AAA recommends the 15 and 45 hour position instead of the older 10 and 50 position. The new position will push your arms and hands out and away from your body if the bag goes off.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:19 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Great tips Pam.

Note: Watch where you place your hands on the steering wheel. If the bag goes off you could break an arm or smash your face. AAA recommends the 15 and 45 hour position instead of the older 10 and 50 position. The new position will push your arms and hands out and away from your body if the bag goes off.
Did AAA explain how to maintain these hand positions as you steer around corners.....?? I've had the steering wheel bag go off. It burns your wrists (propellant I assume).

Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
I hope my airbags never have to go off- I lost count of how many there are! I'd be like that Stay Puft Mardhmallow man!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
No kids to worry about and my cats ride on the back seat. Most of my travel is riding shotgun leaning back some. I think my wife may sit to close but she has bumpers that I don't have to help with the blast.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:36 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,078,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Sometimes my dog is my designated driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I make any "air bag" riding with me keep still and let me do the talking. Old air bags are the worst, and that's most of what I get in the truck or car anymore.
LOL! You guys are hilarious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
No kids to worry about and my cats ride on the back seat. Most of my travel is riding shotgun leaning back some. I think my wife may sit to close but she has bumpers that I don't have to help with the blast.
Nomad, are you a side-seat driver? Bumpers? Never thought of it that way.

Pam, these are good tips. Having been a first responder for a lot of years, I can assure you that sitting too close to the steering wheel airbag really can cause a serious injury.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,419,359 times
For shorter drivers I'd have blocks installed on the foot pedals just so you sit 10" from the airbag I'll need to take my tape out and measure this today.

Great tips Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics