Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of soap do you want to use?
bar 22 33.33%
liquid 28 42.42%
foam 15 22.73%
don't use it! 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:28 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Ok,,,, anyone think that antibacterial is a soap that you might not want to use continually? There are good germs that we need and with the continued use of antibacterial soap our little bodies don’t build up an immunity to things in our everyday life. Washing is ok, but we don’t want to take it to the extreme. Too much of a good thing is not always good! I intermix what soap I'm using for what type of job I'm doing or have done.
I've actually read that antibacterial soaps afford you no advantage over regular soaps. What kills germs is the friction of rubbing your hands together, combined with the lather which suspends them and washes them away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's because liquid soaps are usually petroleum-based detergents, and not soap at all.
Wow, I didn't know that. Of course that being the case, it certainly would stand to reason that my skin would get so irritated. I presume you can find vegetable-based oil soaps in a regular grocery store...? Will have to look into them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 05:43 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I've actually read that antibacterial soaps afford you no advantage over regular soaps. What kills germs is the friction of rubbing your hands together, combined with the lather which suspends them and washes them away.

Wow, I didn't know that. Of course that being the case, it certainly would stand to reason that my skin would get so irritated. I presume you can find vegetable-based oil soaps in a regular grocery store...? Will have to look into them.
The key words there was “no advantage”! Washing with hot water for a longer period of time with lather is truly helpful.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlekitten View Post
Oh...yes! You can also hang them from your rear view mirror, they make for great conversation starters, "...say, is that a bar of soap hanging off your windshield?"
That’s why they make it and call it “soap on a rope!” That’s what you need to buy next time.

Interesting that the polls are reflecting everyone is about equal and there’s no special type.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:01 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The key words there was “no advantage”! Washing with hot water for a longer period of time with lather is truly helpful.
I've also heard it doesn't really matter if it is hot water or cold water. (Not trying to contradict you. Just relaying what I've heard recently in the news. )

You're right - there is no advantage of antibacterial soaps over regular soaps. But that doesn't mean they are bad to use. However, if you pay more for an antibacterial version, isn't that just a waste of money?

Old 10-15-2007, 07:10 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,032,420 times
What I have been spending my unearned money for anti-bacterial and there is no benefit? Who said that???

Old 10-15-2007, 07:19 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
What I have been spending my unearned money for anti-bacterial and there is no benefit? Who said that???
Of course there is a benefit! Scientists found that the soaps that kill 99% of bacteria the 1% that survives becomes immune to that type of anti-bacterial agent, cause a strain of super bacteria! :O

Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,032,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Of course there is a benefit! Scientists found that the soaps that kill 99% of bacteria the 1% that survives becomes immune to that type of anti-bacterial agent, cause a strain of super bacteria! :O

Wow you are smart too.

Hey AksarBen, I thought the only "good" bacteria was in your gut not on your hands

Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,705 times
Quote:
Wow you are smart too.

Hey AksarBen, I thought the only "good" bacteria was in your gut not on your hands
LOL! I'm not smart, I just listen to stuff and it sticks.

That's why I just use plain smelly Liquid soap.

Yup.. Liquid... soap! LOL! I'm such a nerd.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Wow you are smart too.

Where do you think the good bacteria comes from? And who washes their gut anyway?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:44 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
I would not ever use a bar of soap in a public restroom - I am paranoid enough about shaking peoples hands because of their germs - would not want to share soap. Nope, nope.

At home, liquid soap. Also helps with the glass shower door not mucking over from the soap scum that bar soaps leave behind.

Informative thread, Aksarben!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics