Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:06 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times

Advertisements

Good morning, and welcome to the VERY FINAL Question of the Day for 2012! And what a year it has been. Based on my spouse’s usual measure (whether we attend more weddings and christenings or more funerals in a given year), 2012 is a break-even year for us, though there were undeniably some major bright points. I hope that 2012 tallies as a good one for you, and that 2013 brings all of us health and happiness in ample measure!

And to start this final day of the year, let’s commence our usual daily conversation by discussing:

Today’s Question(s):

What one thing was the best part about 2012 for you?

What one thing about 2012 are you happiest to leave behind you forever?

What do you most hope 2013 will bring you?

Bonus Question:

Do you plan to go out to celebrate the arrival of the New Year this evening?

If so, what do you plan to do?

If you’re not planning to venture out this evening, do you have any at-home traditions you like to follow to greet the new year?

Do you plan to make use of any noise-makers or fun party hats this evening?

Extra Credit Question:

We’re soaking black-eyed peas today in preparation for our usual New Year’s Day meal of Hoppin’ John. Do you have any special New Year’s Day foods that you eat for good luck in the year to come?

Or, if your New Year’s Eve plans are of the bibulous sort, do you have any particularly efficacious hangover cures you’d like to share with your QOTD friends?

Just for Fun:

How many windows are in your home?

Today in History:

1600 – The British East India Company is chartered
1695 – A window tax is imposed in England, causing many householders to brick up windows to avoid the tax
1759 – Arthur Guinness signs a 9,000-year lease at £45 per annum and starts brewing Guinness beer and stout
1857 – Queen Victoria chooses Ottawa, then a small logging town, as the capital of Canada
1879 – Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey
1907 – The first New Year’s Eve celebration is held in Times Square (then known as Longacre Square) in New York City
1938 – The first practical roadside breath-testing device, the “drunkometer” invented by Professor Rolla Harger, is used to check suspected intoxicated motorists
1946 – U.S. President Harry S. Truman officially proclaims the end of hostilities in World War II
1955 – The General Motors Corporation becomes the first U.S. corporation to make over $1 billion in a single year
1963 – Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir (two of the founding members of the Grateful Dead) first meet and play music together
1967 – The Youth International Party, popularly known as the “Yippies,” is founded
1983 – The AT&T Bell System is broken up by the United States Government
1991 – The Soviet Union is officially dissolved

Today’s Word:

Bibulous \bĭb yə ləs\ adjective
1. Given to or marked by the consumption of alcoholic drink
2. Very absorbent

Today Is:

One Voice Day
New Year’s Eve
Make Up Your Mind Day
National Champagne Day
World Peace Meditation Day
No Interruptions Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Today’s Question(s):

A trip to the gulf coast.
Unfortunately our circumstances have been extended!
A new world order...at least for this country.

Bonus Question:

Doubtful this year.

If you’re not planning to venture out this evening, do you have any at-home traditions you like to follow to greet the new year?
New Years Day Hop-N-Johns.

Extra Credit Question:

We’re soaking black-eyed peas today in preparation for our usual New Year’s Day meal of Hoppin’ John. Do you have any special New Year’s Day foods that you eat for good luck in the year to come?

Or, if your New Year’s Eve plans are of the bibulous sort, do you have any particularly efficacious hangover cures you’d like to share with your QOTD friends?
I wish....

Just for Fun:

A whole bunch! 17 or 18 some double..

Today in History:

1600 – The British East India Company is chartered
1695 – A window tax is imposed in England, causing many householders to brick up windows to avoid the tax
1759 – Arthur Guinness signs a 9,000-year lease at £45 per annum and starts brewing Guinness beer and stout
1857 – Queen Victoria chooses Ottawa, then a small logging town, as the capital of Canada
1879 – Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey
1907 – The first New Year’s Eve celebration is held in Times Square (then known as Longacre Square) in New York City
1938 – The first practical roadside breath-testing device, the “drunkometer” invented by Professor Rolla Harger, is used to check suspected intoxicated motorists
1946 – U.S. President Harry S. Truman officially proclaims the end of hostilities in World War II
1955 – The General Motors Corporation becomes the first U.S. corporation to make over $1 billion in a single year
1963 – Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir (two of the founding members of the Grateful Dead) first meet and play music together
1967 – The Youth International Party, popularly known as the “Yippies,” is founded
1983 – The AT&T Bell System is broken up by the United States Government
1991 – The Soviet Union is officially dissolved

Today’s Word:

Bibulous \bĭb yə ləs\ adjective
1. Given to or marked by the consumption of alcoholic drink
2. Very absorbent

Today Is:

One Voice Day
New Year’s Eve
Make Up Your Mind Day
National Champagne Day
World Peace Meditation Day
No Interruptions Day
Thanks MBW! Happy New Year everyone!!

Last edited by SATX56; 12-30-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 PM

38,904 posts, read 22,900,003 times
Today’s Question(s):

What one thing was the best part about 2012 for you? Helping nurse my mom back to health after her knee surgery back in late March. Good thing I wasn't working back then, since being her "nurse" was a full-time job in itself!

What one thing about 2012 are you happiest to leave behind you forever? The last company I worked for, and I was there for only 3 months.

What do you most hope 2013 will bring you? Better financial footing, now that I'm back to work.

Bonus Question:

Do you plan to go out to celebrate the arrival of the New Year this evening? Not really.

If you’re not planning to venture out this evening, do you have any at-home traditions you like to follow to greet the new year? Not anymore.

Do you plan to make use of any noise-makers or fun party hats this evening? No, it's going to be quiet around here at the stroke of midnight.

Extra Credit Question:

We’re soaking black-eyed peas today in preparation for our usual New Year’s Day meal of Hoppin’ John. Do you have any special New Year’s Day foods that you eat for good luck in the year to come? No, but I might snack on something if I'm hungry.

Or, if your New Year’s Eve plans are of the bibulous sort, do you have any particularly efficacious hangover cures you’d like to share with your QOTD friends? Sorry, can't help you there since I don't drink.

Just for Fun:

How many windows are in your home? I counted 11.

Enjoy the last day of 2012!

Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Today’s Question(s):

What one thing was the best part about 2012 for you? The new friendships that I've gained, particularly my friends Steve and Liz ... And my nice trip to Toronto

What one thing about 2012 are you happiest to leave behind you forever? The paper clutter that I've shredded in the past month ... I believe that I've gotten 80% of it done

A honey bunny puddin' pie (AKA Husband) and a bigger Chatterdome

Bonus Question:

Do you plan to go out to celebrate the arrival of the New Year this evening? Oh yeah! Bring it ON baby so I can do the Chatter dance! (If my ankle is feeling up to it)

If so, what do you plan to do? My friends are holding a NYE bash and are asking us to dress up

Who needs a noise-maker if you have the Chatteress???

Extra Credit Question:

We’re soaking black-eyed peas today in preparation for our usual New Year’s Day meal of Hoppin’ John. Do you have any special New Year’s Day foods that you eat for good luck in the year to come? Nothing in particular although my family is big on gumbo on NYE ... I'll miss that but I know the fun party should make up for it

This party is specifically NO ALCOHOL .... which is why it is more appealing than celebrating at my family's gathering.

Just for Fun:

How many windows are in your home? 7 windows are located within the Chatterdome

Ok ... Just what the heck is "
Hop-N-Johns"???

Old 12-31-2012, 01:16 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,987 times
Today’s Question(s):

My trip to Montana

Will have to think about this one. Ask me next year.

I have really mixed emotions on this. I will say I hope 2013 really is the year I move somewhere else.

Bonus Question:

Not likely to happen

No plans

Eat stinky cheese and drink beer.

Does the noise the beer can makes when being opened count as a noise-maker?

Extra Credit Question:

Whatever tasty morsel happens to be in the fridge on New Year's Day is lucky for me. This reminds me...I better make a trip to the store today. Last time I checked my fridge it appeared to be rather low on tasty morsels. I sure would hate to have to sort thru the various science projects growing in the back of the fridge in hopes of finding a forgotten tasty morsel.

I am way out of practice concocting hangover cures. My last hangover was in college during finals week Dec 1979. I have not stopped drinking. I just stopped getting hangovers.

Just for Fun:

Somewhere around 18.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Today’s Question(s):

What one thing was the best part about 2012 for you? It was a blase year, nothing special happened.

What one thing about 2012 are you happiest to leave behind you forever? Skin cancer operations, all 20 of them.

What do you most hope 2013 will bring you? Peace and quiet, better health.

Bonus Question:

Do you plan to go out to celebrate the arrival of the New Year this evening? No.

If so, what do you plan to do? n/a

If you’re not planning to venture out this evening, do you have any at-home traditions you like to follow to greet the new year? Go to bed early.

Do you plan to make use of any noise-makers or fun party hats this evening? n/a
Extra Credit Question:

We’re soaking black-eyed peas today in preparation for our usual New Year’s Day meal of Hoppin’ John. Do you have any special New Year’s Day foods that you eat for good luck in the year to come? Nope.

Or, if your New Year’s Eve plans are of the bibulous sort, do you have any particularly efficacious hangover cures you’d like to share with your QOTD friends? Don't know any cures. Cheers!

Just for Fun:

How many windows are in your home? 22 house, 2 garage

"Happy New Year", hope you all have a good one, enjoy...

Old 12-31-2012, 03:24 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,116 times
Today’s Question(s):

What one thing was the best part about 2012 for you? My friend moving in, sharing the house and all the responsibilities - much more fun than doing everything oneself.

What one thing about 2012 are you happiest to leave behind you forever? I
'd like to think I can leave the dental work behind, but unfortunately that's unlikely to be the case.

Health and happiness and not too many unexpected bills.

Bonus Question:

Not this year - been recovering from a tummy bug - too fragile to go out.

If I can stay awake for another two-and-a-half hours, I'll watch the Sydney NYE fireworks on TV (it's 9.30pm here).

LOL nope - the teenagers next door are making enough noise for all of us.

Extra Credit Question:

We’re soaking black-eyed peas today in preparation for our usual New Year’s Day meal of Hoppin’ John. Do you have any special New Year’s Day foods that you eat for good luck in the year to come? No. And I have no idea what Hoppin' John is!

Chocolate works for me!! It fixes everything.

Just for Fun:

How many windows are in your home? 19, counting sliding glass doors as one.

Thanks BookWorm.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!

Last edited by Kobber; 12-31-2012 at 03:35 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 AM

11,374 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Hello everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Good morning, and welcome to the VERY FINAL Question of the Day for 2012! And what a year it has been. Based on my spouse’s usual measure (whether we attend more weddings and christenings or more funerals in a given year), 2012 is a break-even year for us, though there were undeniably some major bright points. I hope that 2012 tallies as a good one for you, and that 2013 brings all of us health and happiness in ample measure!

And to start this final day of the year, let’s commence our usual daily conversation by discussing:

Today’s Question(s):

A) Moving out of a noisy group house (I lived alone in the lower level) and into a very unique apartment of my own.
B) One of my very unfriendly housemates.
C) New friends. I would like to have a bigger social circle. I hate spending so much time alone.

Quote:
Bonus Question:

Not likely to happen. I have about 2 hours of work left to do at my old apartment that will have to be done early this evening. Since I have to work today there's a very good chance I will be asleep before midnight.

Quote:

No, but I wouldn't mind going out to party tonight. However, I highly doubt that will happen.

Quote:

No, but I should. I like seeing people having a good time.

Quote:

A) No.
B) LOL, I haven't had a hangover in well over 25 years! I keep things in check and I do not drink hard liquor at all. I'm a microbrew person but it's something I only go out and have about once a month. I know when to stop.

Quote:

Happy New Year to all!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 AM

21,549 posts, read 8,729,914 times
Today’s Question(s):

Nothing in particular stands out, but I am grateful that DH and I have ended the year healthy, happy and solvent.
My icky old white tile kitchen floor, which was replaced right before Christmas

More badly-needed home improvements such as paint, carpet and new window treatments

Bonus Question:

No
Stay home
We drink Champagne and watch the New Year's celebrations on network TV and on our local station. I like to serve some type of snack or appetizer to have with the bubbly. This year it will be shrimp with cocktail sauce.

No, I'm too old for that stuff.

Extra Credit Question:

No, I don't have any personal traditions, but I prepare a big meal on New Year's Eve and make sure to have enough leftovers so that New Year's Day is a holiday for the cook.

I've always heard that nothing really works except sleeping it off, staying hydrated and taking an OTC painkiller for headache.
Just for Fun:

Nine

p.s. Here's some information about Hoppin' John, a traditional U.S. Southern dish that is supposed to bring good luck in the New Year:
Hoppin' John Wiki

Thanks, MidwesternBookWorm, and a very Happy New Year to all my C-D friends!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 12-31-2012 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: to add information about Hoppin' John

Old 12-31-2012, 03:56 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Today’s Question(s):

I can't think of anything.

All of it. One of my worst years ever.

Good health.

Bonus Question:

No

Nope

Nope

Extra Credit Question:

Nope

Don't drink (not opposed to it, one glass puts me to sleep)

Just for Fun:

3 or 4 if you count the one on one of the doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics