Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 PM

44,375 posts, read 20,091,210 times

Advertisements

Happy weekend, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

UNTANGLE THAT APPLIANCE CORD!

Bayarea4's Friday Peeve reminded me of this handy dandy way to keep appliance cords from tangling.

Start with a small-diameter dowel rod or the long handle of a wooden spoon. Starting near the plug end, wrap the power cord of your small appliance tightly around the rod so that it becomes a tight spiral. Once you have the entire cord, except for a short lead, wrapped around the rod, hold it there for several minutes. When you release it, the cord should remain coiled, though a bit more loosely than when it was on the rod. It will look like a landline telephone cord. You may have to repeat the process if you didn't hold the cord on the rod long enough.

I took the photo above about 10 minutes ago. It's my hair dryer cord wound around a wooden spoon. I only held it for a couple of minutes, and now the cord looks like this:

A coiled cord will be much shorter, will look neater and will be less likely to get tangled up when you're using your appliance. Give it a try!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-13-2013 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 09:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,897,837 times
I wish it were that easy.... I was thinking just get a long dowel rod stretch the cord along it's full length. Then spiral wrap the tape all the way down the length. Nice stiff cord....no kinks, no muss, no fuss! LOL! Thanks ladies! What might work is to get a hair dryer on high heat and heat a cord as you're holding it taut. Heat the full length hot enough to soften it slightly (not melt). Probably more wishful thinking. May help short term.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:28 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,685,451 times
You really need to see the wiring from my computer to all the connected devices. Take a deep breath first and be seated.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You really need to see the wiring from my computer to all the connected devices. Take a deep breath first and be seated.
Is a photo forthcoming?

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:31 PM

I expect a professional photo is in the making. Pam it may actually help at least for a while. If you wrap it very tight and leave it a while. Heat with the hair dryer to relax it then a short stint in the freezer.

Yeah, I've seen some ugly tarantulas or octopusses...wiring nightmares.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I expect a professional photo is in the making.

Yeah, I've seen some ugly tarantulas or octopusses...wiring nightmares.
It'll probably be a doozy. Unfortunately, I need to hit the sack, so will have to wait till tomorrow to see it.

I hope Nomadicus doesn't get attacked by the octopus!

Old 09-13-2013, 09:37 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,159,541 times
yeah, that should work.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
It'll probably be a doozy. Unfortunately, I need to hit the sack, so will have to wait till tomorrow to see it.

I hope Nomadicus doesn't get attacked by the octopus!

Let's hope he's not in the morning news.... "Man found under computer desk ..head stuck in wiring with BLT in one hand". Large camera found near the scene....

Discovered by wife who repeatedly said.... "I found him like that I swear"!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:00 PM

44,649 posts, read 61,691,885 times
But but if it's coiled won't it then be to short to go from the plug-in in the wall to where you want to use it...

Old 09-13-2013, 10:05 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,037,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
But but if it's coiled won't it then be to short to go from the plug-in in the wall to where you want to use it...
That's what I was thinking ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics