Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 03:18 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,493,152 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, June 25th, 2013. I was back at the dentist today (sigh), but she cheerfully told me she thinks I’m done and should be fine – for at least the next 6 months. Yay!

Today’s Question:

Today is National Log Cabin Day. Have you ever lived or had a vacation in a log cabin? If yes, please tell us a bit about it.

Extra Credit Question:

On opening your fridge you find you only have eggs, a bit of cheese, some carrots, mushrooms, butter and milk. In the pantry you have a few basics such as herbs, flour and sugar. What will you make, using some or all of those ingredients?

Bonus Question:

Agree or disagree (or more if you like):

I shall be paying a bill or two today.

I am prone to headaches and/or migraines.

I need to buy a birthday gift for a friend/family member in the next week or so.

I shall probably be wearing sunglasses at some point today.

I dislike talk radio.

Just for fun:

Which of your five senses is/are the strongest – hearing, seeing, smelling, tasting or touching?

Thought for the Day:

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. (Dorothy Parker)

Today in History:

1638 Lunar eclipse is first astronomical event recorded in U.S.
1835 First building constructed at Yerba Buena (now San Francisco).
1868 President Andrew Johnson passes a law that government workers would work 8 hour day.
1938 Federal minimum wage law guarantees workers 40 cents per hour.
1951 First color TV broadcast – CBS.
1953 First passengers to fly commercially around the world in less than 100 hours.
1977 Roy C. Sullivan of Virginia is struck by lightning for 7th time.

Today’s Word:

Dilly \ DIL-ee \ , noun;
1. Informal. Something or someone regarded as remarkable, unusual, etc.: a dilly of a movie.

Today Is:

National Columnists’ Day
Global Beatles Day
National Catfish Day
National Log Cabin Day
National Strawberry Parfait Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 03:31 AM

16,908 posts, read 16,157,165 times
Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, June 25th, 2013. I was back at the dentist today (sigh), but she cheerfully told me she thinks I’m done and should be fine – for at least the next 6 months. Yay!

Yaaayyyy! Happy Kobberday everybody! When do we eat?

Today’s Question:

Today is National Log Cabin Day. Have you ever lived or had a vacation in a log cabin? If yes, please tell us a bit about it.
No, of course not, ya twit! ............you've been watching too much American crap on the telly!
BUT.....now I'm thinking that I want to make homemade pancakes, since you mentioned Log Cabin and that is an American pancake syrup! I love my pancakes with a crispy edge and loads of butter and fake syrup! And they should have plenty of sausages on the plate, too, with plenty of the fake syrup on them!

Extra Credit Question:

On opening your fridge you find you only have eggs, a bit of cheese, some carrots, mushrooms, butter and milk. In the pantry you have a few basics such as herbs, flour and sugar. What will you make, using some or all of those ingredients?
I can make some homemade biscuits with poached eggs and cheese, with a wee bit of sauteed mushrooms - then serve the biscuits open-faced with the poached eggs, a pat of butter to melt on top of each egg and cheese with sauteed mushrooms on top of them....with a very light dusting of curry powder and paprika. The curry powder and paprika then melt all together and make a very beautiful bi-colored butter sauce that tastes oh-so-good with the eggs!

I loved that question, Kobber-honey. *smooch* ...............

Bonus Question:

~ Kind of. I will telling the billing company that they will honor our agreement or shove their services where they belong.

~ I get very, very serious sinus headaches, which can only be cured (forever!) by a surgical procedure that I thought of myself and explained to doctors......only to find out that it actually does exist!
After suffering for so many, many years, I determined that pressure was being trapped in my upper sinuses. I could sometimes actually hear the squeaky noise when it would escape - usually after weeks of terrible pain. So I figured out that if they were to thread a wire, with a hollow core, up through the sinuses to where the air was trapped, the air, under it's pressure, would then jet out of the sinuses.
(which, once that air does escape, brings 100% immediate and total relief.)
If a tube, similar to the ones that get surgically implanted into the ears, were to be implanted in the narrowest sinus passageway, the headaches would never occur again.
Without the tube implant, the procedure would temporarily relieve the sinus headache - but could come back some day in the future.

I need to buy a birthday gift for a friend/family member in the next week or so.
~ Nopey!

~ Yep! But I hate my sunglasses.

I dislike talk radio.
~ I can deal with talk radio when the topic is something I am interested in - sometimes!

Just for fun:

Which of your five senses is/are the strongest – hearing, seeing, smelling, tasting or touching?
~ Awww....you didn't include the 6th sense, which would have been my answer.....of those 5 I would say hearing and touching.

Thought for the Day:

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. (Dorothy Parker)
~ Makes me think of Curiosity on Mars.

Today in History:

1868 President Andrew Johnson passes a law that government workers would work 8 hour day.
~ I always wondered what dick thought of that!.......
1953 First passengers to fly commercially around the world in less than 100 hours.
1977 Roy C. Sullivan of Virginia is struck by lightning for 7th time. ~ Should change his name to 'Rod'.

Today’s Word:

Dilly \ DIL-ee \ , noun;
1. Informal. Something or someone regarded as remarkable, unusual, etc.: a dilly of a movie.
~ Start your own business, placing pickle barrels in stores....have your sign say, "Pick-a-Dilly".
It would make you a fortune because, as you may well know, 'dill waters run steep'.

Today Is:

National Columnists’ Day
Global Beatles Day
National Catfish Day
National Log Cabin Day

**** Thanks for the splendor, Kobber-babe! I didn't even have to delete stuff out of it! LOL! Cool beans! I wish you all the usual love and eats that I normally wish you, only with some extra for today! ****

Last edited by rainroosty; 06-25-2013 at 04:08 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 AM

21,578 posts, read 8,753,580 times
Today’s Question:

No, I've never done that. I'm a city girl.

Extra Credit Question:

I will make an omelet with the eggs, butter, herbs, cheese and mushrooms. I could also make a béchamel sauce for the omelette with the flour, butter and milk. As a side dish I could make glazed carrots if there's brown sugar on hand.

Bonus Question:

I shall be paying a bill or two today. Disagree, everything's paid up.

I am prone to headaches and/or migraines. Partly agree, I have migraine-like headaches sometimes, but fortunately it's a rare occurrence.

I need to buy a birthday gift for a friend/family member in the next week or so. Disagree, my next birthday gift giving occasion is in mid-August.

I shall probably be wearing sunglasses at some point today. Disagree, I don't have sunglasses because I wear prescription lenses.

I dislike talk radio. Strongly agree! Mr. Bay likes it a lot, but when the radio goes on, I leave the room and do something else. I can't stand listening to people arguing and insulting each other.

Just for fun:

That's a tough question because how to you quantify something like that? I'll guess touch.

Thanks, Kobber! Glad your dentist visit turned out all right.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,013,798 times
Today’s Question:

Have not ever stayed in a log cabin.

Extra Credit Question:

I must have opened someone else's fridge as you will not find eggs in mine. So while I head home to my fridge I will stop by the store and pick up some noodles. I will nibble on the carrots while cooking the noodles. Once the noodles are cooked I will slice the mushrooms and add to the noodles. Next I will put some butter on the noodles. Once the butter has melted I will grate the cheese and add to the noodles. I will serve the noodles with the steak that I also bought while buying the noodles.

Bonus Question:

Not today. Maybe in a couple days

I do get headaches. Most of the time a couple aspirin will do the job.

No gift buying till Christmas

Since I do not own any sunglasses it is not likely I will be wearing them today.

I dislike talk radio.
This is a true statement

Just for fun:

Probably smelling

Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 AM

61,914 posts, read 87,450,383 times
Today’s Question:

Yes, in my late teens. Log cabin in Polish Tatra Mountains. It was fun. The cabins were quite luxurious

Extra Credit Question:

Looks like a perfect ingredients for an omelet.

Bonus Question:

Yeah. It's the time of the month. Again...

Not at all. I don't remember when I had a headache last time. But then - I am not married

No one has a birthday anytime soon.

I shall, but I will not.

I dislike talk radio.
Very much so!

Just for fun:

Which of your five senses is/are the strongest – hearing (3), seeing, smelling,(1) tasting (2) or touching?

Thought for the Day:

Yep, I agree, and I am a very curious person!

Happy Tuesday everyone!
Thank you, Kobber!

Last edited by elnina; 06-25-2013 at 04:24 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 AM

11,388 posts, read 9,307,678 times
Hello all,

Kobber, I like going to the dentist! As long as I don't get an unexpected big bill that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

Today’s Question:

Once in West Virginia. I really enjoyed it a lot. It was a shame my ex apparently didn't. It was our first anniversary.
We had an end cabin and the scenery was very pretty and quiet.

Quote:
Oh, I'm good.
First, with the eggs, cheese (yellow American), and mushrooms I make an omelet. I saute the mushrooms in the butter and add them to the eggs. The cheese is next before the fold.

Since I buy portabella mushrooms and I have 2 kinds of cheese, yellow American and mozzarella, a bit later in the day I'm making portabella mushroom pizza! I found some sauce (sorry if I cheated a little!) and I always have garlic on hand.

In between I munch on the carrots.

Quote:

I dislike talk radio.
A) Agree - My cable/Internet
B) Disagree
C) Disagree
D) Agree - But I have progressive transitions. My regular glasses turn into sunglasses.
E) Depends. I like to listen to news and information radio stations. Washington, DC has two real good ones, WTOP nad WNEW. The main Baltimore "talk radio" (they are not getting a plug) is way too conservative for my taste. At times they are very mean and biased. The DC stations I mentioned are balanced with news and information, not right wing political talking heads who I loathe.

Quote:
It must be tasting since I enjoy my cooking so much.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

Last edited by John13; 06-25-2013 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,506,427 times
Today’s Question:

Today is National Log Cabin Day. Have you ever lived or had a vacation in a log cabin? If yes, please tell us a bit about it. I never lived in one but we took a vacation when I was in grade school to Lake Arrowhead CA and stayed in a log cabin in the woods and had a really good time. I also have had a couple of friends that live around here that have lived in log cabins and I have visited their homes. I like the look of a log cabin.

Extra Credit Question:

On opening your fridge you find you only have eggs, a bit of cheese, some carrots, mushrooms, butter and milk. In the pantry you have a few basics such as herbs, flour and sugar. What will you make, using some or all of those ingredients? I would make a seasoned mushroom and cheese egg omelet.

Bonus Question:

I shall be paying a bill or two today. Agree.

I am prone to headaches and/or migraines. Disagree.

I need to buy a birthday gift for a friend/family member in the next week or so. Today is my birthday! I should buy myself something.

I shall probably be wearing sunglasses at some point today. Disagree, it has been raining.

I dislike talk radio. I like the talk shows where people call in with their problems or questions.

Just for fun:

Which of your five senses is/are the strongest – hearing, seeing, smelling, tasting or touching? Smelling and tasting.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:12 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,078,128 times
Today’s Question:

Yes. Vacation. New Hampshire. Lake Winnipesaukee. Smallmouth bass fishing.

Extra Credit Question:

First, I will yell out, "Okay, who left the mushrooms in my refrigerator?" Then I will wonder out loud, "Was I sleepwalking when I bought these eggs?" Then I will look in the mirror to see if I had a brain transplant or I look like Bugs Bunny because although I eat carrots, I buy them frozen and eat them as a side. I don't care for them in my salad or raw...okay to make a long story short, I have a glass of milk.

Bonus Question:

disagree

Not since I moved to Tennessee. Maybe one a year. Used to get sinus headaches all of the time.

disagree

disagree

I dislike talk radio.

disagree

Just for fun:

I'll go with smelling

Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 AM

30,604 posts, read 16,285,119 times
Quote:

Today’s Question:

nope. I've seen a few.

Extra Credit Question:

would the basics in the pantry include peanut butter and bread?

Bonus Question:

nope-done!

only if I'm in the sun too long

don't need to but I might anyway. I like buying people things for no reason.

no-got my trifocals shaded.

I dislike talk radio.
guess I do because I don't listen to it.

Just for fun:

strongest as in most used would be seeing; strongest as in least degenerated with age, touch.

Thought for the Day:

I love that!

Today in History:

1977 Roy C. Sullivan of Virginia is struck by lightning for 7th time.

Today’s Word:

Dilly \ DIL-ee \ , noun;

Today Is:

National Columnists’ Day
Global Beatles Day
National Catfish Day
National Log Cabin Day
Thanks for questions, Kobber. Hope your next dentist visit is shorter.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:56 AM

401 posts, read 480,150 times
Today’s Question:

Today is National Log Cabin Day. Have you ever lived or had a vacation in a log cabin? If yes, please tell us a bit about it. I haven't

Extra Credit Question:

On opening your fridge you find you only have eggs, a bit of cheese, some carrots, mushrooms, butter and milk. In the pantry you have a few basics such as herbs, flour and sugar. What will you make, using some or all of those ingredients? With the eggs, cheese, mushrooms and herbs, I'd make an omelet. Yum!

Bonus Question:

I shall be paying a bill or two today. Nope

I am prone to headaches and/or migraines. No thank God.

I need to buy a birthday gift for a friend/family member in the next week or so. No, plus I'm really bad about birthdays.

I shall probably be wearing sunglasses at some point today. Nope. I very Rarely wear sunglasses.

I dislike talk radio. I like talk radio I just don't have time for it during the day. I'm busting my ass to get my work done so, I can go HOME!

Just for fun:

Which of your five senses is/are the strongest – hearing, seeing, smelling, tasting or touching? I would guess tasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics