Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:59 AM

6,114 posts, read 4,604,466 times

Advertisements

This may seem like an odd topic (and it seemed to fit "Other topics" best), but it's something that's always been rather fascinating to me, particularly with folks whose jobs or just some other life situation puts them out and about during the late night/early morning hours when most of the world is sleeping. Is there a span of time during the night that seems the creepiest, deadest, stillest, or furtherest removed from the hustle and bustle during the day? For example:

1.) What hour does the world just seem the stillest (traffic, neighbors, etc.)? Note this may not always be a bad thing. For someone who is truly a night owl, especially living around a noisy environment, this may be the time when things calm down enough to do some clear thinking without distraction. In the middle of nowhere, where it's normally quiet anyway, this hour may be extra still or perhaps desolate.

2.) What hour would you be most freaked out to be walking in a really high crime, tough neighborhood. I realize it may be "anytime after dark" but is there an hour that would be particularly creepy?

3.) For those who have experience working third shift dealing with the public (at convenience stores, all night diners, for example), was there a particular hour when the strangest people seemed to show up?

If anything else that comes to mind about this, feel free to add to these questions. Stories or personal experiences are much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 12:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
You can be sure that it's wise to stay home between 2-7AM. (3am-6am more so) Just generally speaking of course.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:46 PM

11,365 posts, read 9,278,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
You can be sure that it's wise to stay home between 2-7AM. (3am-6am more so) Just generally speaking of course.
I was mugged walking out of a nightclub and to my car after watching a friend perform in a band at 1:07 AM. This happened in January, 1999. I have posted this story before.

I was stunned when I walked out of the club alone, made a right down the street I was on (14th Street NW Washington, DC) and shortly after I made that turn I was jumped by 2 thugs who I never saw or heard coming. I was beat up pretty badly but they didn't get my wallet which is what they wanted. If they showed me a knife or a gun it may have been different. But they tried to drag me in "the ally" to probably try and kill me.

My advice is be vigilant at all times and look behind you while walking in these circumstances.

Probably good advice to just "stay home."

Answer to Question #2 is between 1 AM - 3:30 AM.

#1 - 4AM.

#3 - Never worked that shift.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:46 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
Sometimes I'd leave work at 330am and I'd be the only one out in the parking lot. There are coyotes around as well. At our house it used to be around 530 am. That's when you're most likely to hear the foot steps up and down the stairs, and other things that go bump in the night.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
3AM for me. Couldnt tell you why, but its like the dead of the night, when everything is at its quietest.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:18 PM

13,623 posts, read 10,024,461 times
Any time of night round here. Just after dark, my wife saw a ghost standing next to me in our field. The rattling and moving of things can go on through the night.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:21 PM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times
I am a night person, so - NO, no creepy hours for me
Creepy hours have nothing to do with unsafe areas. They are unsafe at any time. At night you are just more sensitive to noises, you don't hear during the day.
The quietest time on the roads seems to be between 3 and 4:30 AM. After that traffic starts to build up, and on the road are people driving for an early shift.

Lots of people are afraid of dark. Any creaking floorboard, rustling shutter, or random bump in the night fill them with terror. They are scared because they cant see, and therefore do not know what is going to happen. Some just have a wild, imaginative minds that "see" things that are not there.

Last edited by elnina; 09-19-2014 at 02:57 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 02:28 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Creepy doesn't mean much. The least safe times of the morning hours are when there are less people on the streets for legitimate reasons than those up to no good. (2-6am) You could widen that to 10pm ~ 7am. That's not to mention areas that may be unsafe at any hour.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:26 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
I think about 8:30AM Monday morning in the executive area break room for coffee can get very scary and creepy……………………………… I would always return to one of the employees lunch room on the lower levels and enjoy a coffee break there with them….

Old 09-19-2014, 03:53 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,604,466 times
Thank you for all the responses so far. Around 3:00 a.m. or 3:30 a.m. is what comes to my mind with all three of my scenarios. It's smack dab in the middle of the times most people participating in evening/nightlife activities are out (winding down around midnight) and it's still long before most commuters, even earlier ones, are out (starting up about 6:30 or 7:00 am). Exceptions being jobs for people who work at a bakery or local morning news anchors, etc.

And like some of the stories here point out, the advice from our wise elders that "people are often up to no good after midnight" seems to hold true.

I'm still curious to hear from folks who have dealt with customers on the third shift to see if they get an stranger type of customers come into the convenience store or Wal Mart at 3:45 a.m., for example, than they would see right after midnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics