Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:03 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,670 times

Advertisements

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end. It will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.
The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandma replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

' television

' penicillin

' polio shots

' frozen foods

' Xerox

' contact lenses

' Frisbees and

' the pill

There was no:

' radar

' credit cards

' laser beams or

' ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

' pantyhose

' air conditioners

' dishwashers

' clothes dryers

' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandfather and I got married first, . . . and then lived together.
Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."

We were before computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . . but who could afford one?
Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:

' "grass" was mowed,

' "coke" was a cold drink,

' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and

' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,

' " chip" meant a piece of wood,

' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and

' "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old lady in mind...you are in for a shock!

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.

This Woman would be only 58
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 02:22 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
grammy164:
What a perfect thread for people to see......especially the "young generation" that have no clue at how nice it was back in those days. I'm 57 and my wife is 58, we remember "back then" and sometimes can get "teary eyed" when we think of how things are now. To sit and think about how today's society is, can be very, very depressing.
Thanks so much for the "Great Memories" Thread!!!
And, a Very Merry Christmas and Wonderful Happy New Year to you and your family!!!

Old 12-19-2006, 02:29 PM

34 posts, read 49,429 times
50 Years Later:

"Hardware" is found in Ron Jeremy's pants.

"Software" is found in Bob Dole's pants.

Da-Dum-Ching!

Old 12-19-2006, 02:33 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
WOW, that was amazing Grammy, thanks for posting that

Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,581 times
Hi grammy & ILNC! (Don't know this AKA person - ? But hi to you too )
Yeah, all I can say is must've been nice...
I long for "slower times" as well...
Oh well...
Maybe one day...
Meanwhile, life is good anyway!

Old 12-19-2006, 07:59 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
Inflation went nuts after 1967. Grammy, I find that most all of what you have posted holds true, but I think those 58 year olds would have to have purchased their first car and the gas to fill it with as newborns. Other than that, right on!

Old 12-20-2006, 02:04 AM

328 posts, read 240,093 times
Grammy...I've read a lot of your posts and enjoy them all, but this one was the very best, in my opinion. It does almost bring tears to my eyes...sometimes I really wish things were a little bit more simple, as they were about 20 or even 30 years ago. (showing my age, I know)

In those days, maybe I'm mistaken, but it seemed like there was a lot more respect...in general. We could use a lot more of that as soon as possible!!

Old 12-20-2006, 03:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post

In those days, maybe I'm mistaken, but it seemed like there was a lot more respect...in general. We could use a lot more of that as soon as possible!!
Yes.
I miss the mutual respect and courtesy more than any of those other things, even the cheap gas.
I remember getting a polio sugar cube in the gym at grade school.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:38 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
That is scary... my mother is exactly 58 (as of last week), and I don't think of her as ancient!! My grandmother will be 90 in March, so it's hard to imagine what things were like for her. Boy, times have changed... some for the better, some for the worse.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:25 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,670 times
This was an e-mail my Dad sent me. Much of it wasn't a surprise--I remember when McDonalds was new (not even 1 million sold), when ladies wore stockings (that were bought in boxes and separated with tissue paper) instead of panyhose--I remember trying to wear the new, shorter lengths before pantyhose . I also remember joking about items that had a "Made in China" or "Made in Japan" sticker on them. I was, however, surprised to find out how relatively new the ball point pen, clothes dryers and instant coffee were.

I agree with all of you. Like Loveboating, I can get depressed when I realize my grandchildren will never experience some of the simplest pleasures we got to enjoy.
I also agree with Kimbercuddles and cil. When I was growing up we had to dress for school. Teachers were "grown ups" and we were taught to treat all grown ups with respect. Though I understand what AKA FLEX was trying to say in his thread about Christmas, I realize by the way he said it, that we have lost some of that "respect and courtesy" that was so important back then.
gizmo980 is correct too. "Boy, times have changed... some for the better, some for the worse." I'm not saying everything was better back then, but I feel like I'm far more worried about the future now. Maybe it's just because I'm getting old. (shhh...don't tell anyone)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics