Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 05:55 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,242 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Nothing remarkable today. Weather is as to be expected for this time of year, and everyone here is happy and healthy!

Let's get right to the questions.

Today's Question(s):
If you leave your house for any reason, when you get home, do you change out of your "outside" clothes and put on more comfy clothes, such as sweats? If so, how soon after you get home do you change?

Bonus Question(s):
What is something (food, fun, anything) that is characteristic of your country or local region, or that it is known for?

Just for Fun:
Are you old enough to remember the first time The Beatles appeared on television? If so, did you watch?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1964 Beatles 1st live appearance in U.S.; Washington D.C. Coliseum
Birthday: 1926 Leslie Nielsen, Canadian actor
Politics/Public Affairs: 1790 Society of Friends petitions Congress for abolition of slavery
Science/Technology: 1945 1st gas turbine propeller-driven airplane flight tested, Downey, California
Sports: 1984 Wayne Gretzky sets NHL short handed season scoring record at 11
World: 1902 Police beat up universal suffrage demonstrators in Brussels

Today’s Word:
opprobrium
Pronunciation: uh-PRO-bree-uhm
Meaning: noun:
1. Strong criticism.
2. Public disgrace
Etymology: From Latin opprobrium (reproach), from ob- (against) + probrum (infamy, reproach). Ultimately from the Indo-European root bher- (to carry), which also gave us bear, birth, barrow, burden, fertile, transfer, offer, suffer, euphoria, and metaphor.
Earliest documented use: 1656.

Today is:
Be Electrific Day
Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk Day
Get Out Your Guitar Day
Make A Friend Day
Peppermint Patty Day
Pro Sports Wives Day
National Shut-in Visitation Day
Satisfied Staying Single Day
White T-shirt Day
World Day of The Sick

Quote of the Day:
"Doing nothing is very hard to do ... you never know when you're finished." ~ Leslie Nielsen ~

Have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 06:16 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,150,490 times
yes

diamond head

yes, yes - ed Sullivan show... haircut, boots, and screaming

Old 02-11-2015, 06:28 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,798,240 times
[quote=PatsCats;38396074]Mornin' all!

Nothing remarkable today. Weather is as to be expected for this time of year, and everyone here is happy and healthy!

Today's Question(s):
If you leave your house for any reason, when you get home, do you change out of your "outside" clothes and put on more comfy clothes, such as sweats? If so, how soon after you get home do you change?
No I don't change until I get ready to go to bed

Bonus Question(s):
What is something (food, fun, anything) that is characteristic of your country or local region, or that it is known for?
That would be fried EVERYTHING, including pickles

Just for Fun:
Are you old enough to remember the first time The Beatles appeared on television? If so, did you watch?
I was too young, only 7 months old

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1964 Beatles 1st live appearance in U.S.; Washington D.C. Coliseum
Birthday: 1926 Leslie Nielsen, Canadian actor
Politics/Public Affairs: 1790 Society of Friends petitions Congress for abolition of slavery
Science/Technology: 1945 1st gas turbine propeller-driven airplane flight tested, Downey, California
Sports: 1984 Wayne Gretzky sets NHL short handed season scoring record at 11

Today’s Word:
opprobrium
1. Strong criticism.
2. Public disgrace
Etymology: From Latin opprobrium (reproach), from ob- (against) + probrum (infamy, reproach). Ultimately from the Indo-European root bher- (to carry), which also gave us bear, birth, barrow, burden, fertile, transfer, offer, suffer, euphoria, and metaphor.

Today is:
Be Electrific Day
Get Out Your Guitar Day
Make A Friend Day
Peppermint Patty Day
Pro Sports Wives Day
White T-shirt Day
World Day of The Sick

Quote of the Day:
"Doing nothing is very hard to do ... you never know when you're finished." ~ Leslie Nielsen ~

Thanks PC!

Old 02-11-2015, 06:33 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,485,714 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):

Immediately. I change into sweats and wool socks. Warm, comfy clothes.

Bonus Question(s):

We are known for the best fried chicken. And jumbo pork tenderloins. Our state park is also in our area.

Just for Fun:

I think I was 4 or 5, I do remember them being on TV and my parents making remarks about how long their hair was.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:35 AM

27,353 posts, read 27,405,100 times
Unless I just got home from work and get out of my uniform, I wear the same thing all day.
Local region, I've heard it said as the dust bowl, rattlesnake country, among other terms, but to me, it's a desert. I've never heard of fry bread till coming here, it's a popular snack on the reservation. Never tried it....yet.
Happy Wednesday everyone ~~~

Old 02-11-2015, 06:42 AM

126,287 posts, read 19,062,233 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
If you leave your house for any reason, when you get home, do you change out of your "outside" clothes and put on more comfy clothes, such as sweats? If so, how soon after you get home do you change? I only change my cloth after a party,a workout,a trip but I remember as a child I had to change my school cloth as soon as I came home and I remember on Sundays we had to dress up for "Kaffeeklatsch" when the grandparents came.

Bonus Question(s):
What is something (food, fun, anything) that is characteristic of your country or local region, or that it is known for? Food:Bavarian apple strudel
Bavarian Pulled Apple Strudel Gezogene Strudel) Recipe - Food.com
Bavaria- Bavarian doughnuts - Auszogne, Funkenküchle or Kirchweihnudel (with recipe) - Typical Bavarian dishes - Bavarian cuisine - food and drink - About Bavaria
Löwenbräu beer,beer in general and many German wine
Bavarian culinary glossary bavarian bavarian blue mould cheese with soft Bavarian Pretzels and any kind of cold cuts
Bavarian culinary glossary mountain gentian spirit Gebirgsenzian
Münchner Weißwurst white sausage - Bavarian culinary glossary and so much much more like all the cakes "Torten",Bavarian creme,and my all time favorite Bavarian plum cake
Bavarian Plum Tart (Zwetschgendatschi) Recipe | Yesterday's Recipes
Dirndl's and Lederhosen,Volksmusik and yodeling,the traditional May dance on May 1.
Maypole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just for Fun:
Are you old enough to remember the first time The Beatles appeared on television? If so, did you watch? Nope,but I listened the first time to the Beatles when I was in Grade 5

Today in History:
Birthday: 1926 Leslie Nielsen, Canadian actor [color="Blue"][....really liked him /COLOR]
Sports: 1984 Wayne Gretzky sets NHL short handed season scoring record at 11 ...he is our hockey hero in our family and we have lots of magazines and collector cards

Today’s Word:
opprobrium
1. Strong criticism.
2. Public disgrace

Today is:
Be Electrific Day
Get Out Your Guitar Day
Make A Friend Day
Peppermint Patty Day
Pro Sports Wives Day
White T-shirt Day
World Day of The Sick

Quote of the Day:
"Doing nothing is very hard to do ... you never know when you're finished." ~ Leslie Nielsen ~ ...god one

Thank you PatsCats

Old 02-11-2015, 06:56 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
As soon as I get back home from wherever, I change into my house uniform....... sweatshirt, shorts, and slippers!

I do remember the first time I saw the Beatles on television. It was 1963 on a local tv station. This station covered the north west of England which included Liverpool, and where I live. This is a clip from that show from August 1963......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuHs7yS6MJE

Old 02-11-2015, 07:21 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Today's Question(s):

No, I'm retired. All my clothes are comfy.

Bonus Question(s):

Country - baseball
State - music (see our TN state quarter) "Three stars represent Tennessee's three regions and the instruments symbolize each region's distinct musical style. The fiddle represents the Appalachian music of east Tennessee, the trumpet stands for the blues of west Tennessee for which Memphis is famous, and the guitar is for central Tennessee, home to Nashville, the capital of country music." (We also have Elvis and Sun Records in the West for rock and roll)

http://www.theus50.com/tennessee/quarter.php

Region - Great Smoky Mountains
Town - science

Just for Fun:

On American TV, yes I am and yes I did. I was 12. On the Official Ed Sullivan website it says 73 million people watched it.

"On their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, the Beatles played five songs in two sets. The first set included All My Loving, Till There Was You, and She Loves You. Later in the second half of the show, the Beatles played I Saw Her Standing There, and I Want To Hold Your Hand."

The whole performance:

[vimeo]85085658[/vimeo]
The Beatles in America - Ed Sullivan Show - First Presentation (February 9, 1964) on Vimeo

Last edited by LauraC; 02-11-2015 at 07:33 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 07:25 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,103 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):

no I don't. in fact, I wear the cloths I wear all day to bed too. I know some are shocked but I got that way from working the overnight shift. I would come home at 8 30 in the morning and fall into bed as is. Just stuck with me.

Bonus Question(s):

Corn??? RDLR would probably know for sure.
Oh I know........muskrat. I know someone that traps them and freezes them. He says you never tasted anything like it. Just out of this world.

Just for Fun:

Yesh and I watched it too from my crib.

Have a good day everyone! back at you.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:31 AM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Today's Question(s):
If you leave your house for any reason, when you get home, do you change out of your "outside" clothes and put on more comfy clothes, such as sweats? Sometimes, but it depends on my plans for the evening. If I need to hit the treadmill or do housework or yard work, I'll put on workout clothes. If I have to go out for a meeting or something, I stay dressed in the clothes I wear to the office or church or wherever I've been previously. If so, how soon after you get home do you change? If I'm going to change, it's usually within a few minutes after I get home.

Bonus Question(s):
What is something (food, fun, anything) that is characteristic of your country or local region, or that it is known for? Hmmmmm. I'm not sure whether NW IN is known for any particular activity. One thing Indiana is famous for is the Indianapolis 500 auto race. My town is locally famous for its annual Popcorn Festival. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Valpa...24864057590634

Just for Fun:
Are you old enough to remember the first time The Beatles appeared on television? If so, did you watch? Yes and yes. I remember their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. I was in 4th grade, I think, and I remember wondering why all the young girls in the audience were screaming and crying. I thought that was stupid. I enjoyed the music, though, and thought the Beatles were way cute!

Today’s Word:
opprobrium
1. Strong criticism.
2. Public disgrace
I see a lot of opprobrium in some of the fora here on City-Data.

Today is:
Be Electrific Day Ha. I'll try!
Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk Day I didn't spill my milk this morning, so I'm good.
Get Out Your Guitar Day I will! I need to rehearse some music this evening for some upcoming performances.
Make A Friend Day I don't expect to have an opportunity to meet someone new today, but perhaps at the grocery store later.
Peppermint Patty Day The Peanuts character or the candy treat?
Pro Sports Wives Day
National Shut-in Visitation Day I visited a shut-in last week; probably won't do so today.
Satisfied Staying Single Day It works for me!
White T-shirt Day I don't like white T-shirts. I prefer colorful ones.
World Day of The Sick

Quote of the Day:
"Doing nothing is very hard to do ... you never know when you're finished." ~ Leslie Nielsen ~ Hahahaha. Good one! Leslie Nielsen is a hoot!

Have a good day everyone! Yep. Happy hump day!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-11-2015 at 07:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics