Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 12:23 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,406,696 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday June 15, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Have you ever had ants (or other type of bug) in your home ?
If so, did you do something to get rid of them ?
If a single bug gets into your home, what method do you use to be rid of it (flyswatter or other) ?
Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ?
Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ?

Extra Credit:
Have you ever accidentally microwaved metal ?

Bonus:
Do you have any jewelry (“dog tags” or medical ID bracelet count) with letters or words on it ?

Just for Fun:
Do you enjoy learning about neologisms (new words or expressions) ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neologism

Have you ever coined one yourself (made up a word or phrase) ?

Today in History:
1836: Arkansas becomes the 25th American state
1919: First non-stop transatlantic aircraft flight (Newfoundland-Ireland in 16 hrs.), by John Alcock & Arthur W. Brown
1934: Official establishment of Great Smoky Mountains National Park (in Tenn. & N.C.)
1943: Birth of Dutch author Xaviera Hollander (Vera de Vries)
1949: Birth of English actor & musician Simon Callow
1955: Birth of American actress Julie Hagerty
1955: Birth of American actress Polly Draper
1959: Birth of American actress Eileen Davidson
1963: Birth of American actress Helen Hunt
1969: Birth of American rapper & actor Ice Cube (O’Shea Jackson, Sr.)
1971: Birth of American actor Jake Busey (William Jacob Busey)
1973: Birth of American actor Neil Patrick Harris
2012: Nik Wallenda becomes first person to cross Niagara Falls on a high-wire (also setting record for longest tightrope walk over a waterfall)

Today’s Word:
quincunx /ˈkwinˌkəNGks/ (n.): Geometric arrangement or layout, as on the “five dots” side of a die or domino tile,
where four of the points form a square or cross, with the fifth in the pattern’s center. A bit like the maze today

Today Is:
Nature Photography Day
Worldwide Day of Giving
Global Wind Day

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at symbols in center towards the right & bottom towards the left (with little dots trailing away from them)-

Thought for the Day:

“Finding ways to appreciate advances without embracing complacency is a delicate task.”
-Rebecca Solnit

Wishing everyone plenty of positive feedback today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 12:39 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,354,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
Have you ever had ants (or other type of bug) in your home ? Oh, heck, yeah! Having ant problems right now - seems to be a problem in this area. But at least they're small ants.
If so, did you do something to get rid of them ? There's a particular ant killer that I like.
If a single bug gets into your home, what method do you use to be rid of it (flyswatter or other) ?
Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ? No. In fact, sometimes I even like to kinda' play with them. But I don't push my luck.
Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ? Lady bugs.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever accidentally microwaved metal ? Long time ago.

Bonus:
Do you have any jewelry (“dog tags” or medical ID bracelet count) with letters or words on it ? Yes, but the only ones I wear are bright rubber wrist bands with my name and number on it.

Just for Fun:
Do you enjoy learning about neologisms (new words or expressions) ? Sometimes.

Have you ever coined one yourself (made up a word or phrase) ? Yes.

Thanks, Cloven. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:40 AM

21,678 posts, read 8,823,865 times

Today’s Question:
When we first bought the house it had been unoccupied for a couple of months, and by the time the sale closed there were some kind of brown beetles running around (not cockroaches; I know what those look like).

We got rid of them with insect spray, and they never came back.
If it's a flying insect, it gets swatted. Spiders and other crawling insects get trapped and taken outdoors.
Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ?
Yes
Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ?
Ladybugs and butterflies
Extra Credit:
Yes, I have. Once it was a coffee mug with gold trim, another time it was a peanut butter jar that still had some remnants of the freshness seal left on the mouth of the jar.
Bonus:
Do you have any jewelry (“dog tags” or medical ID bracelet count) with letters or words on it ?
I have a gold pendant that was given to my mother as a baby that has her initial engraved on it.
Just for Fun:
Yes. As a former English major, I have always been interested in words. Living languages constantly evolve and change.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neologism

Not yet!

Thanks for the maze and the questions, cloven!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:49 AM

6,903 posts, read 7,664,842 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever had ants (or other type of bug) in your home ? Not ants but lots of other kinds of bugs over the years.

If a single bug gets into your home, what method do you use to be rid of it (flyswatter or other) ? Cats, dog, flyswatter, ignore

Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ? Maybe more creep me out?

Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ? crickets.

Extra Credit:

Bonus:
Do you have any jewelry (“dog tags” or medical ID bracelet count) with letters or words on it ? An old pin I never wear any more has my initials.

Just for Fun:
Do you enjoy learning about neologisms (new words or expressions) ? Yes. I make words up all the time but don't think they pass on into the popular vernacular.

Yikes, it's the 15th already!!!

Thanks for questions and happy day, everyone. What can I procrastinate about today?

Old 06-15-2015, 01:44 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,206,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Hello.

Today’s Question:
Have you ever had ants (or other type of bug) in your home ? Not my current apartment but many of my ancient homes, yes.
If so, did you do something to get rid of them ? My father took care of it in some ways that I don't remember...
If a single bug gets into your home, what method do you use to be rid of it (flyswatter or other) ? I scream and go far away. My mum will take care of it... I can't.
Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ? YES !
Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ? No.
Extra Credit:
Yes.

Bonus:
No, I don't like jewelry.

Just for Fun:
Yes.

Not really... or if yes, I don't remember...

Today’s Word:
quincunx /ˈkwinˌkəNGks/ (n.): Geometric arrangement or layout, as on the “five dots” side of a die or domino tile,
where four of the points form a square or cross, with the fifth in the pattern’s center. A bit like the maze today

Today Is:
Nature Photography Day
Worldwide Day of Giving
Global Wind Day

Thought for the Day:

“Finding ways to appreciate advances without embracing complacency is a delicate task.”
-Rebecca Solnit
Is that supposed to be hard to understand?

Have a nice day.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:04 AM

37,834 posts, read 41,184,465 times
Today’s Question:
Yes
If so, did you do something to get rid of them ? Called the apt complex who sent pest control
spray
Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ? only if they surprise me
Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ? butterflies

Extra Credit:
Have you ever accidentally microwaved metal ? No

Bonus:

Cheap watch says Timex

Just for Fun:
Not really

Have you ever coined one yourself (made up a word or phrase) ? No

Old 06-15-2015, 03:54 AM

11,428 posts, read 9,361,532 times
Regarding ants - I had a basement apartment in a house from 2008-2012. The problem was in the kitchen which was upstairs. It happened 2-3 times during my stay there. I don't remember how we got rid of them, likely my can of Raid that I keep handy.

I do not care for insects. They enter my home they get shot with a quick spray or hot water if they happen to be near the sink or bath tub. I do recall a couple of times when I took them outside - like ladybugs.

I never had any microwave mishaps. Metal? I can't imagine...

The only jewelry I wear is a watch.

Regarding the "coining a phrase" part - maybe a couple but only for me because others won't be able to relate.
I don't give much thought to new words. Don't get me started on some newer phrases I hear like "I know, right?"

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday to all!

Old 06-15-2015, 03:56 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,839,746 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever had ants (or other type of bug) in your home ? I live in Tennessee...THEY ARE EVERYWHERE..... WE DON'T HAVE MICE THOUGH WHICH IS SURPRISING.....
If so, did you do something to get rid of them ? IT DOESN'T HELP...
If a single bug gets into your home, what method do you use to be rid of it (flyswatter or other) ? SQUASH IT MYSELF...
Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ? NO....THEY HAVE THE BIGGEST SPIDERS DOWN HERE...THEY HAVE NEVER SCARED ME...
Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ? DRAGONFLIES....

Extra Credit:
Have you ever accidentally microwaved metal ? THANKFULLY NO.....

Bonus:
Do you have any jewelry (“dog tags” or medical ID bracelet count) with letters or words on it ? NO

Just for Fun:
Do you enjoy learning about neologisms (new words or expressions) ? OH YES...I USED TO READ TGE DICTIONARY....

Have you ever coined one yourself (made up a word or phrase) ? LOTS OF THEM... FOR EXAMPLE... SCREWBALLROUS--- ÀN IDIOT....IN FACT MY SON CALLED ME THAT OVER THE PHONE THE OTHER DAY....VERY ENDEARING...

Old 06-15-2015, 04:03 AM

576 posts, read 424,417 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever had ants (or other type of bug) in your home ? I've had ants in my house twice, I followed them back to their nest and killed them all
If so, did you do something to get rid of them ? my foot, sometimes the low tech solution is the best
If a single bug gets into your home, what method do you use to be rid of it (flyswatter or other) ? depends on the bug, flies, moths and ants get swatted I'd leave others outside in the garden, let out a window
Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ? No they kill flies and moths and there are no highly poisonous ones in Ireland
Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ?I don't really mind beetles, butterfly's, bees and crickets
Extra Credit:
Have you ever accidentally microwaved metal ? once without realising it, luckily I was in the room at the time and turned the microwave off when it started sparking

Bonus:
Do you have any jewelry (“dog tags” or medical ID bracelet count) with letters or words on it ? Not with words on it
Just for Fun:
Do you enjoy learning about neologisms (new words or expressions) ? Yeah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeologismHave you ever coined one yourself (made up a word or phrase) ? just the one "When your are an optimist life is full of disappointments when you are a pessimist life is full of surprises"

Thanks for the questions Cloven, I hope you have a great day

Old 06-15-2015, 05:05 AM

126,440 posts, read 19,208,119 times

Today’s Question:
Have you ever had ants (or other type of bug) in your home ? when I moved in my first rental I found carpenter ants under the fridge
If so, did you do something to get rid of them ? the landlord came and got rid of them
If a single bug gets into your home, what method do you use to be rid of it (flyswatter or other) ? usually I catch and carry them out or yell for my husband
Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ? I feel a bit scared seeing them inside but call my husband and he takes them outside
Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ? they are all fascinating in their own way

Extra Credit:
Have you ever accidentally microwaved metal ? I never owned a microwave

Bonus:
Do you have any jewelry (“dog tags” or medical ID bracelet count) with letters or words on it ? Nope

Just for Fun:
Do you enjoy learning about neologisms (new words or expressions) ? sure

Have you ever coined one yourself (made up a word or phrase) ? nope

Today in History:
1836: Arkansas becomes the 25th American state
1919: First non-stop transatlantic aircraft flight (Newfoundland-Ireland in 16 hrs.), by John Alcock & Arthur W. Brown
1934: Official establishment of Great Smoky Mountains National Park (in Tenn. & N.C.)
1943: Birth of Dutch author Xaviera Hollander (Vera de Vries)
1949: Birth of English actor & musician Simon Callow
1955: Birth of American actress Julie Hagerty
1955: Birth of American actress Polly Draper
1959: Birth of American actress Eileen Davidson
1963: Birth of American actress Helen Hunt
1969: Birth of American rapper & actor Ice Cube (O’Shea Jackson, Sr.)
1971: Birth of American actor Jake Busey (William Jacob Busey)
1973: Birth of American actor Neil Patrick Harris
2012: Nik Wallenda becomes first person to cross Niagara Falls on a high-wire (also setting record for longest tightrope walk over a waterfall)

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Nature Photography Day
Worldwide Day of Giving
Global Wind Day

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at symbols in center towards the right & bottom towards the left (with little dots trailing away from them)-

Thought for the Day:
-Rebecca Solnit

Thank you cloven and a good Monday to all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics