Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

6,873 posts, read 4,877,055 times

Advertisements

What are your first thoughts when you think of Idaho?

How do you like your sandwiches cut? Diagonally to make two triangles, or just straight across?

If you buy a loaf of bread, do you eat the crusts?

Have you ever watched dragon boat races? Have you ever rowed a boat? Have you ever sang "Row, row, row your boat?

Have you ever sang 99 bottles of beer on the wall? Did you finish the song?

Why are levels of buildings called stories? Does it seem odd to you that a third story can be the third floor of a building or the third story in a book?

Nothing burger? What an odd expression. I realize it's slang, but even a burger without condiments is a burger. What expression is the opposite of calling something a nothing burger?

What is your favorite day of the week? Why?
Do you know what day of the week you were born? Are you familiar with Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
What are your first thoughts when you think of Idaho? Potatoes; Boise. That's about all.

How do you like your sandwiches cut? Diagonally to make two triangles, or just straight across? Don't care.

If you buy a loaf of bread, do you eat the crusts? Though I stopped buying bread about 15 years ago (too many carbs), I love the crusts. That's the best part!

Have you ever watched dragon boat races? Never heard of that. Have you ever rowed a boat? Yes, many times. Have you ever sang "Row, row, row your boat? Yes, many times, though not in recent years.

Have you ever sang 99 bottles of beer on the wall? Yes. Did you finish the song? No.

Why are levels of buildings called stories? I have no idea. I do know that an alternate spelling is storey. Does it seem odd to you that a third story can be the third floor of a building or the third story in a book? No.

Nothing burger? What an odd expression. I realize it's slang, but even a burger without condiments is a burger. What expression is the opposite of calling something a nothing burger? I've never heard the term "nothing burger." I guess the opposite would be "everything burger."

What is your favorite day of the week? Saturday. Why? Date night with my boyfriend. (We also see each other on Wednesdays or other days, but we always see each other on Saturdays.
Do you know what day of the week you were born? Yes. Are you familiar with Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace, etc.? I was born on a Wednesday and yes, I'm familiar with the poem. "Wednesday's child is full of woe." That's not true in my case.

Thanks for the questions, E-T!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM

21,549 posts, read 8,731,914 times
Potatoes. Skiing. Conservatives.
How do you like your sandwiches cut? Diagonally to make two triangles, or just straight across?
Straight across, but I'm not fussy. Either way is fine.
Yes, I do.
Have you ever watched dragon boat races? Have you ever rowed a boat? Have you ever sang "Row, row, row your boat?
Dragon boat races: No
Rowing a boat: Yes
"Row, row, row your boat": Yes
Yes, I've sung it. I don't think I ever got to the end (too boring). I preferred to sing "Found a Peanut."
Why are levels of buildings called stories? Does it seem odd to you that a third story can be the third floor of a building or the third story in a book?
It's the English language. It's never going to make sense.
Nothing burger? What an odd expression. I realize it's slang, but even a burger without condiments is a burger. What expression is the opposite of calling something a nothing burger?
I don't know. A firecracker?
Wednesday, because we go out to dinner so I don't have to cook or wash dishes.
Do you know what day of the week you were born? Are you familiar with Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace, etc.?
Yes, I'm familiar with that. I'm a Wednesday child ("full of woe") and so is Mr. Bay.

Thanks, E-Twist!

Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Potatoes. Potatoes and beautiful mountain scenery.
It doesn't matter to me.
Yes
I don't know what dragon boat races are. I have rowed a boat before (been awhile!) and have sang Row Row your boat when I was a child.
As a child we sang that on the bus to field trips. Don't recall if it ever got finished.

IDK..."the whole enchilada" maybe?
What is your favorite day of the week? Why? No favorites that I can think of since I retired.
I was born on a Tuesday.
Thanks for the questions!

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace.
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living.
But the child that is born on Sabbath day,
Is bonny and blithe, good and gay.

Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
What are your first thoughts when you think of Idaho? Taters, spuds, potatoes.

Doesn't matter the cut as long as they hold together .

If you buy a loaf of bread, do you eat the crusts? Sure do, yum.

Have you ever watched dragon boat races? Never heard of it. Have you ever rowed a boat? Yes. Have you ever sang "Row, row, row your boat? Yes many times when the kids were young.

Have you ever sang 99 bottles of beer on the wall? Many times at parties. Did you finish the song? Probably, that's been eons ago.

Why are levels of buildings called stories? Does it seem odd to you that a third story can be the third floor of a building or the third story in a book? Because each floor was used for storage in the olden days, therefore store-age became the norm. Isn't it odd that there are no 13th floors.

Nothing burger? What an odd expression. I realize it's slang, but even a burger without condiments is a burger. What expression is the opposite of calling something a nothing burger? Never heard of this expression.

What is your favorite day of the week? Everyday is a favorite. Why? Happy to be still above ground.
Do you know what day of the week you were born? Thurs at 4:24 AM. Are you familiar with Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace, etc.? Not familiar with any of them.

Old Today, 02:41 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times

Potatoes!! I am a potato person

I don't eat sandwiches - it's too much bread/starches. I only eat open face sandwiches. Cut in half if the slice is big. I often eat them with knife and fork anyway.

That's the only bread a buy - European style with hard and crunchy crust. Or l bake it myself.
I used to wonder - Americans are so proud of their great teeth, but they prefer soft, baby food and even cut off the soft "crust" of toast bread. Why's that?

Have you ever watched dragon boat races?

Googled the term, and NO.
I do watch International or Olympic rowing competitions.

Have you ever rowed a boat?

Yes. Many times.
Also have rowing machine at home.

Have you ever sang "Row, row, row your boat?

I don't think so ..

No. I don't know that song. But l can sing "99 Red balloons" (Nena) in Germans and English
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_Luftballons

There are many theories and no one really knows why. It could be because of "storing things on each level", or "modificated word related to stairs", etc.
And even more bizarre is the difference between storeys (stories) and floors. In the US, the first floor of a building is also the ground floor. So buildings without upper levels are one story buildings.
In many other countries they are named (and counted as) ground floor and # of upper floors. Or basement, ground floor and upper floors.
In the US 4 storey building means it has a Ground floor + 3 upper floors.
Now suppose that building has 2 basements (or subbasement); it would still be called a 4 storey building but will consist of 6 floors.
It's very confusing for a non-American. Especially the use of elevators.
In most US elevators, the ground floor may be labeled as "G" and the next floor up as "1", or the ground floor may be labeled as "1" and the next floor up as "2". In Europe, the ground floor is usually numbered as floor 0 because of differences in building construction and numbering.
Aren't you confused, yet?

I guess it would be a "something" burger with a list of added condiments

Used to be Wednesday. Just in the middle of a work week.

Do you know what day of the week you were born?

Yes. It happens to be Wednesday too. I even know that I was born at 9:30PM

Are you familiar with Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace, etc.?

Nope. Not familiar with those nursery rhymes, but I am definitely not a child of woe.

Thank you, E-Twist for this interesting questions!!

Last edited by elnina; Today at 03:46 AM..

Old Today, 03:14 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
What are your first thoughts when you think of Idaho? - Very conservative state, Idaho potatoes, the B52s song "Private Idaho."

How do you like your sandwiches cut? Diagonally to make two triangles, or just straight across? - I don't have often. I would cut straight across.

If you buy a loaf of bread, do you eat the crusts? - Yes

Have you ever watched dragon boat races? - Never heard of them.

Have you ever rowed a boat? - Many times when I was in my late teens through mid-30s.

Have you ever sang "Row, row, row your boat? - Possibly when I went to summer day camp as a kid.

Have you ever sang 99 bottles of beer on the wall? Did you finish the song? ^

Why are levels of buildings called stories? - D/K

Does it seem odd to you that a third story can be the third floor of a building or the third story in a book? - There are many other examples in the English language.

Nothing burger? What an odd expression. I realize it's slang, but even a burger without condiments is a burger. - Since I follow politics very close I've heard that expression a lot, especially the last 6 years or so.

It means when one is accused of something there is no evidence that it really happened. Like someone stating there's "nothing's there." In some cases they are just lying but trying to get one to believe it anyway.

What expression is the opposite of calling something a nothing burger? - Full of evidence, guilty as charged.

Regarding an actual burger, well, since I don't eat them... I am only familiar with what is probably a slang.

What is your favorite day of the week? Why? - Saturday. Off work, local farmers market that is open all through the year (I went yesterday), and a break from this now killer commute I have, sigh,,,

Do you know what day of the week you were born? - Yes, it was a Sunday.

Are you familiar with Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace, etc.? - Never heard of that.

Thanks, E-Twist!

Old Today, 03:55 AM

30,544 posts, read 16,236,133 times
Quote:
potato, odd shape

either/or

yup. best part

never heard of dragon boats. no but paddled a canoe. yes as a child.

yes but never finished the song. Finished the beer tho'.

I like the storage>story idea. Makes as much sense as anything.

never heard that expression..Maybe an everything hot dog?

When working, any day I had off. Retired-don't have one.

Born on Sunday. silly poem.

Thanks, E-Twist

Old Today, 04:50 AM

126,285 posts, read 19,062,233 times
Quote:
What are your first thoughts when you think of Idaho?....... Potatoes

How do you like your sandwiches cut? Diagonally to make two triangles, or just straight across?......Open faced sandwiches

If you buy a loaf of bread, do you eat the crusts?......I only bake my own bread and always eat the crust

Have you ever watched dragon boat races? ....... Never
Have you ever rowed a boat? ....... Yes
Have you ever sang "Row, row, row your boat?......No

Have you ever sang 99 bottles of beer on the wall? Did you finish the song?.........No

Why are levels of buildings called stories? .......No idea
Does it seem odd to you that a third story can be the third floor of a building or the third story in a book? ..

Nothing burger? What an odd expression. I realize it's slang, but even a burger without condiments is a burger. What expression is the opposite of calling something a nothing burger?......No clue

What is your favorite day of the week? .....Used to be Monday and Friday, but since I am retired I like them the same
Why?....Monday a new beginning of the week and Friday awaiting the weekend
Do you know what day of the week you were born?.....Yes I was born on a Sunday.
Are you familiar with Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace, etc.?.......No

Thank you E-Twist

Old Today, 06:10 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,485,714 times
What are your first thoughts when you think of Idaho? Potato’s

How do you like your sandwiches cut? Diagonally to make two triangles, or just straight across? Usually straight across.

If you buy a loaf of bread, do you eat the crusts? Yes

Have you ever watched dragon boat races? No. Have you ever rowed a boat? Yes. Have you ever sang "Row, row, row your boat? Yes

Have you ever sang 99 bottles of beer on the wall? Yes. Did you finish the song? I don’t remember

Nothing burger? What an odd expression. I realize it's slang, but even a burger without condiments is a burger. What expression is the opposite of calling something a nothing burger? I don’t know.

What is your favorite day of the week? Why? It used to be Friday when I worked because it was the end of the work week and the weekend and no work was the next day. Now I don’t have one.
Do you know what day of the week you were born? Monday. Are you familiar with Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace, etc.? Yes

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics