Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 08:27 PM

44,381 posts, read 20,099,777 times

Advertisements

Monday greetings, kids! I hope you all had a great weekend. Now it's time to
scroll on down and check out Today's Tip.

GOT AN EMPTY MASON JAR?

Here's a nifty thing you can do with an empty mason jar. Stick in a string or two
of battery-powered mini lights to create a cool-looking night light. Lights can be
white or colored. You can use your mason-jar night lights indoors or out.

You can do the same thing with lights in an empty wine bottle. I have one in my
home and it looks great.

Having an outdoor party? Make a bunch of these and set them around the ground
or on your deck or railings to set a warm ambience.

You can use electric lights as well, but be sure to place the jars in places where
no one will trip over the cords.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:45 PM

21,577 posts, read 8,749,478 times
That's an especially good tip for those of us who live in the wrong part of the country and never get to see fireflies. Thanks, Pam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 08:45 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,921,881 times
....or fill it with lightning bugs. Great idea Pam. We have such a jar of lights floating around here somewhere.

If you use plug in lights be sure and make vent holes in the cap.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:52 PM

117 posts, read 92,838 times
Yeah of course good tips. I like it too much. Thanks!

Old 08-02-2015, 09:31 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,722,489 times
Interesting tip Pam. Question, how do you get your finger/hand into the wine bottle to turn off the light switch.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:57 AM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,451,689 times
Interesting idea. You can do a Google image search to see what they look like.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:35 AM

44,381 posts, read 20,099,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Interesting idea. You can do a Google image search to see what they look like.
Yep, there are lots of images out there. Last night when I was posting, I hadn't yet found one that wasn't copyrighted and I didn't feel like photographing mine and messing around with posting it.

Here's a picture of what some look like: Blue Mason Jar Fairy Lights Pint Small Mouth Cool White and here's another: Mason Jar Fairy Lights, Wide Mouth Quart Jars, Warm White Lights, Set of 12 Check out the prices on those things. I see no reason to ever purchase ones already made up, since it's so simple and inexpensive to buy the jars and lights and do it yourself.

I haven't seen ones made with pint jars; I've always seen and used quart-size jars. Any size will work fine, but there's more room for lights in the bigger jars.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:03 AM

126,310 posts, read 19,095,578 times
What a need tip I will use this one for our next party. Thank you Pam

Old 08-04-2015, 12:34 PM

5,909 posts, read 3,806,104 times
I love love love these things! My neighbor did that very thing with mason jars and it really sets the mood for whatever you're doing, even if it's just watching tv. Thanks Pam, now I just got to find my Mason jars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics