Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 01:33 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,375,064 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday June 20, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
It was June 17, 2013 that I first made a Monday Qs thread, 3 years back.
Do you recall what you were doing three years ago ?
Do you have any plans or hopes for what you’ll be doing 3 years from now ?

Extra Credit:
Have you ever piled up rocks or stacked boulders (for instance, to build a stone wall) ?
Is there a fence around your building, and/or between neighboring lots ?
Do you have hedges or vegetation of some sort along your property lines ?

Have you any neighbors that can be heard (from your house or apt.)-if so, what’s the loudest: vehicles, voices, pets/animals, music, or other ?

Bonus:
If you’re outside and see an animal or plant that you can’t identify, do you look it up online ?
Do any edible (safe for humans) berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) grow wild near you ?

As spring gives way to summer, do you notice outdoors:
-the sound of nocturnal animals ?
-skunk smell (their spray) ?
-the odor of manure (animal dung soil fertilizer) ?

Just for Fun:
Do you like the smell of:
-lavender ?
-pine ?
-sawdust/unfinished wood ?
-wood smoke/fireplace ?

Today in History:
1863: West Virginia admitted to the U.S. as the 35th state
1895: Germany’s Kiel Canal opens, allowing quicker access between the Baltic Sea & the North Sea
1928: Birth of actor Martin Landau
1931: Birth of actress Olympia Dukakis (“Moonstruck”)
1933: Birth of actor Danny Aiello (“Moonstruck”)
1940: Birth of actor John Mahoney (“Moonstruck”)
1942: Birth of musician & producer Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys
1949: Birth of singer-songwriter Lionel Richie
1952: Birth of actor John Goodman
1963: Establishment of the “red phone” direct communication line between governments of Soviet Union & United States
1967: Birth of actress Nicole Kidman
1968: Birth of director & screenwriter Robert Rodriguez
1971: Birth of actor Joshua Lucas Easy Dent Maurer-known as Josh Lucas
1975: US release of the movie “Jaws”, setting precedent of “summer blockbuster” films

Today’s Word:
lyophilize /līˈäfəˌlīz/ (vb.): to cryodesiccate, freeze-dry (such as for preserving food).

Today Is:
Summer Solstice (Northern Hemisphere)
International World Refugee Day
National Vanilla Milkshake Day
-and the start to-
Meet A Mate Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower left & lower right-

Thought for the Day:
“If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered.”
-Edgar Allan Poe

Have a memorable (in a good way) Monday, C-D peeps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 01:34 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Today’s Question:
Do you recall what you were doing three years ago ? Answering your questions.
Do you have any plans or hopes for what you’ll be doing 3 years from now ? No plans, it's a day to day thing for me.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever piled up rocks or stacked boulders (for instance, to build a stone wall) ? Yes.
Is there a fence around your building, and/or between neighboring lots ? No.
Do you have hedges or vegetation of some sort along your property lines ? No.

Have you any neighbors that can be heard (from your house or apt.)-if so, what’s the loudest: vehicles, voices, pets/animals, music, or other ? Rarely hear a car/truck, that's all. It's real quiet around here.

Bonus:
If you’re outside and see an animal or plant that you can’t identify, do you look it up online ? Nope.
Do any edible (safe for humans) berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) grow wild near you ? Nope.

-the sound of nocturnal animals ? Nope.
-skunk smell (their spray) ? Nope.
-the odor of manure (animal dung soil fertilizer) ? Nope.

Just for Fun:
-lavender ? Nope.
-pine ? Sorta
-sawdust/unfinished wood ? Sorta
-wood smoke/fireplace ? Dislike, makes me sneeze all the time.

U tu cloven.

Last edited by wit-nit; 06-20-2016 at 01:44 AM..

Old 06-20-2016, 02:57 AM

21,552 posts, read 8,733,710 times

Today’s Question:
Do you recall what you were doing three years ago?
I was eagerly looking forward to turning 65 so I could sign up for Medicare and ditch my expensive private-pay insurance.
Do you have any plans or hopes for what you’ll be doing 3 years from now?
I have no plans other than to keep being as healthy and happy as possible in retirement. Some travel would be nice, but considering Mr. Bay's age and medical issues I don't think it's going to happen.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever piled up rocks or stacked boulders (for instance, to build a stone wall)?
No, I've never done that. It sounds like a lot of hard work.
Is there a fence around your building, and/or between neighboring lots?
The back yards are separated by fences that have raised flower beds on the uphill side.
Do you have hedges or vegetation of some sort along your property lines?
No, only the fence.

Have you any neighbors that can be heard (from your house or apt.)-if so, what’s the loudest: vehicles, voices, pets/animals, music, or other?
Yes, it's a steep hill so sound travels uphill in an ampitheater effect. We can hear children playing in the schoolyard a mile away and can even hear the ocean at night though it's about three and a half miles away. Sometimes if their windows are open, we can hear the downhill neighbors talking to each other inside their house. The most pleasant and soothing thing we can hear is a church carillon about two miles away. The loudest and most annoying sounds are is sirens from ambulances or fire trucks.
Bonus:
If you’re outside and see an animal or plant that you can’t identify, do you look it up online?
Sometimes, if I can get a good enough look to be sure of the size, color and markings of the thing. I have identified a lot of our neighborhood songbirds.
Do any edible (safe for humans) berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) grow wild near you?
Wild blackberries grow here, but I'm not sure if they're OK to eat.
-the sound of nocturnal animals?
Owls, occasionally.
-skunk smell (their spray)?
Yes, we get skunks here.
-the odor of manure (animal dung soil fertilizer)?
Not here, but in Modesto, California, where a lot of my relatives live, you can sometimes catch a faint whiff of fertilizer in the air because of all the agriculture in the region.

Just for Fun:
-lavender?
-pine?
-sawdust/unfinished wood?
-wood smoke/fireplace?

I like all of the above!

Thanks, cloven! The maze looks somewhat floral today.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:03 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,291,726 times
Today’s Question:
- Well, yes. Living in Baltimore and in a rare relationship - for me anyway...
It was a better time period than now but oh well...

Do you have any plans or hopes for what you’ll be doing 3 years from now ? - No offense but I dodge this popular question (except it's always 5 years) in job interviews when it comes up. It came up 6 days ago and I refused to answer. Maybe that is why I wasn't called.
But I can't be anything but honest and apparently my honesty gets me in trouble at times. Sadly it may be a fault of mine but it shouldn't be....
At this point I do not wish to think about what is going to happen in 3 years. Even though I am healthy and don't feel my age, I dislike getting older a lot and wish I could have stopped time decades ago...

Happy 3 years, cloven. It doesn't seem like it's been that long...

Extra Credit:
Have you ever piled up rocks or stacked boulders (for instance, to build a stone wall) ?
- Nope.
Is there a fence around your building, and/or between neighboring lots ? - No fences here. Just many apartment buildings.

Do you have hedges or vegetation of some sort along your property lines ? - No / N/A

Have you any neighbors that can be heard (from your house or apt.)-if so, what’s the loudest: vehicles, voices, pets/animals, music, or other ? - A couple arguing in the apartment below. Brings back bad memories of my childhood so I wish they would break up and / or move. There is a kid involved and the apartment is very small because they all are in this building. How 3 can live there seems a bit inhumane. It's not even big enough for one person let alone three.
Not that I hear it daily but I hear it enough...
Otherwise it's very quiet here.

Bonus:
If you’re outside and see an animal or plant that you can’t identify, do you look it up online ?
Do any edible (safe for humans) berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) grow wild near you ?

No and no.

-skunk smell (their spray) ?
-the odor of manure (animal dung soil fertilizer) ?
- No to all.

Just for Fun:
-lavender ?
-pine ?
-wood smoke/fireplace ?

Little experience with the latter 3.
Lavender, yes.

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday to all!

Last edited by John13; 06-20-2016 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: typo / add something

Old 06-20-2016, 03:21 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Today’s Question:
It was June 17, 2013 that I first made a Monday Qs thread, 3 years back. Congrats!
Spending too much time online, like now.
Do you have any plans or hopes for what you’ll be doing 3 years from now ?
Counting my millions on a beach somewhere.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever piled up rocks or stacked boulders (for instance, to build a stone wall) ? My buddy, Mr Flintstone, does that for a living.
Is there a fence around your building, and/or between neighboring lots ? Good fences make good neighbors.
Do you have hedges or vegetation of some sort along your property lines ?
A privit hedge?

Have you any neighbors that can be heard (from your house or apt.)-if so, what’s the loudest:
vehicles, almost never

voices, from neighbors? no
pets/animals, rarely, happy to say, no inconsiderate dog owners at this time
music, or other ? neighbors behind us have pool parties on weekends, but the music is never intrusive. In fact, it's kinda pleasant.

Bonus:
If you’re outside and see an animal or plant that you can’t identify, do you look it up online ? Sometimes.
Do any edible (safe for humans) berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) grow wild near you ? Mulberries. I bet blackberries would grow here.

-the sound of nocturnal animals ? Some birds
-skunk smell (their spray) ? Some skunks
-the odor of manure (animal dung soil fertilizer) ? Uh, no.

Just for Fun:
-lavender ? probably
-pine ? okay
-sawdust/unfinished wood ? yes
-wood smoke/fireplace ? a bit

Today in History:
Wonder if they knew that during filming.

Today Is:
Summer Solstice Happy summer solstice!

Old 06-20-2016, 04:01 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
Do you recall what you were doing three years ago ? im horrible with marking time. I think it was 3ish years ago that I started this job and moved down here
Do you have any plans or hopes for what you’ll be doing 3 years from now ? nothing specific - I'm a planner for smaller things and life savings - but for life path I usually apply myself and roll with the changes

Extra Credit:
Have you ever piled up rocks or stacked boulders (for instance, to build a stone wall) ? never made a stone wall but I've pulled rocks
Is there a fence around your building, and/or between neighboring lots ? not all the way no
Do you have hedges or vegetation of some sort along your property lines ? renting - there are hedges but not delineating individual living spaces

Have you any neighbors that can be heard (from your house or apt.)-if so, what’s the loudest: vehicles, voices, pets/animals, music, or other ? so far neighbors have been relatively quiet. Sometimes voices carry but nothing obnoxious

Bonus:
If you’re outside and see an animal or plant that you can’t identify, do you look it up online ? have done
Do any edible (safe for humans) berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) grow wild near you ? not sure

-the sound of nocturnal animals ? haha we were just talking about that - the pond critters have been raising a ruckus at night lately!
-skunk smell (their spray) ? just once
-the odor of manure (animal dung soil fertilizer) ? yes

Just for Fun:
Do you like the smell of:all the below - although pine can get too intense sometimes - especially if artificial or concentrated
-lavender ?
-pine ?
-wood smoke/fireplace ?[/b][/color]
[color=DarkRed][b]

thanks and have a great week everybody!

Old 06-20-2016, 04:18 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,151,833 times
nope
yes

similar
kind of
nope

yes
yes

yes, nope, nope

all of those

Old 06-20-2016, 05:08 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Today’s Question:
no
Do you have any plans or hopes for what you’ll be doing 3 years from now ? no

Extra Credit:
no
Is there a fence around your building, and/or between neighboring lots ? no
Do you have hedges or vegetation of some sort along your property lines ? no

Have you any neighbors that can be heard (from your house or apt.)-if so, what’s the loudest: vehicles, voices, pets/animals, music, or other ?

Don't jinx me. No. Actually, the neighbor in the apartment directly across from mine is hard of hearing. You can hear her TV in the breezeway and whoever visits her has to knock loudly. He adult daughter knocks loudly and yells, "Ma, it's me. Open the door." I'm just thankful I don't live next door to her or above her. But, no one visits her at night or early in the morning and it's only until she comes to the door so for me, it's not a problem.

Bonus:
yes
Do any edible (safe for humans) berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) grow wild near you ? No idea.

Just crickets in August. Hate them if they get inside.
-skunk smell (their spray) ? Not limited to summer.
-the odor of manure (animal dung soil fertilizer) ? I smell something after they fertilize. The landscapers for the apartment complex do fertilize but I have no idea of what's in it.

Just for Fun:
-lavender ?
-pine ?
-wood smoke/fireplace ?

I like all of the above but especially pine. It is my favorite scent.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:17 AM

126,287 posts, read 19,066,107 times
Happy Monday June 20, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
It was June 17, 2013 that I first made a Monday Qs thread, 3 years back. That is a long time
Do you recall what you were doing three years ago ? Probably household duties
Do you have any plans or hopes for what you’ll be doing 3 years from now ? no plans but hope I stay healthy

Extra Credit:
Have you ever piled up rocks or stacked boulders (for instance, to build a stone wall) ? No I have not
Is there a fence around your building, and/or between neighboring lots ? yes
Do you have hedges or vegetation of some sort along your property lines ? in the back garden

Have you any neighbors that can be heard (from your house or apt.)-if so, what’s the loudest: vehicles, voices, pets/animals, music, or other ? Yes I can hear a variety of music,Punjabi music,Ecuadorian music,other music like rock,jazz,country...I can hear dogs barking,cars coming and leaving and at times yelling and not so lovely language,sound of beer bottles....swimming pool being used by kids or kids playing street hockey or other games...all at the same sound level

Bonus:
If you’re outside and see an animal or plant that you can’t identify, do you look it up online ? yes I try to
Do any edible (safe for humans) berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) grow wild near you ? I have noticed black berries and raspberries and little red berries they look like red currant berries but could be mistaken for bird berries

-the sound of nocturnal animals ? I see and smell skunks daily,as well I see or hear raccoons and at rare occasion an opossum
-skunk smell (their spray) ? yes they wake me up daily these days with a dose of their skunk perfume
-the odor of manure (animal dung soil fertilizer) ? Love the smell of the country from horse to cow manure

Just for Fun:
-lavender ? yes I do
-pine ? yes one of my favorite smells and it brings back so many childhood memories
-sawdust/unfinished wood ? love the smell in small doses
-wood smoke/fireplace ? oh yes I get all chirpy

Today in History:
1863: West Virginia admitted to the U.S. as the 35th state
1895: Germany’s Kiel Canal opens, allowing quicker access between the Baltic Sea & the North Sea
1928: Birth of actor Martin Landau
1942: Birth of musician & producer Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys
1949: Birth of singer-songwriter Lionel Richie
1952: Birth of actor John Goodman
1963: Establishment of the “red phone” direct communication line between governments of Soviet Union & United States
1967: Birth of actress Nicole Kidman
1968: Birth of director & screenwriter Robert Rodriguez
1971: Birth of actor Joshua Lucas Easy Dent Maurer-known as Josh Lucas
1975: US release of the movie “Jaws”, setting precedent of “summer blockbuster” films

Today’s Word:
lyophilize /līˈäfəˌlīz/ (vb.): to cryodesiccate, freeze-dry (such as for preserving food).

Today Is:
Summer Solstice (Northern Hemisphere)
International World Refugee Day
National Vanilla Milkshake Day
-and the start to-
Meet A Mate Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower left & lower right- ....what a beautiful designed maze cloven

Thought for the Day:
“If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered.”
-Edgar Allan Poe

Thank you cloven and have a good start to Monday

Old 06-20-2016, 05:28 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,532 times
Today’s Question:
It was June 17, 2013 that I first made a Monday Qs thread, 3 years back. Thank you, cloven!
Do you recall what you were doing three years ago ? Probably finishing up the school year.
Do you have any plans or hopes for what you’ll be doing 3 years from now ? I will have been retired for a year.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever piled up rocks or stacked boulders (for instance, to build a stone wall) ? Haven't built a stonewall, but have stacked rocks at the beach.
Is there a fence around your building, and/or between neighboring lots ? Stonewalls around much of the property.
Do you have hedges or vegetation of some sort along your property lines ? I have about twenty acres, only six are open and the rest woods. Trees and ferns line the fields.

Have you any neighbors that can be heard (from your house or apt.)-if so, what’s the loudest: vehicles, voices, pets/animals, music, or other ? Loudest at night are peepers in the spring, an insect hum in the summer and fall, very quiet in the winter. If the neighbors are out I can hear them talking and sometimes someone plays guitar or banjo. I can hear the train whistle from a couple miles away. During the day the loudest sounds are the neighbor's guinea hens and roosters. In the spring or if there's been rain, I can hear the streams.

Bonus:
If you’re outside and see an animal or plant that you can’t identify, do you look it up online ? Sometimes
Do any edible (safe for humans) berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) grow wild near you ? Blackberries also line the fields in places and tiny, tiny strawberries grow through the fields.

-the sound of nocturnal animals ? I used to hear owls more.... miss them. Peepers and insect hum, like I said above.
-skunk smell (their spray) ? I know there are skunks around, but rarely smell them.
-the odor of manure (animal dung soil fertilizer) ? Not around my house, but when I go for rides through the hills.

Just for Fun:
-lavender ? Love it. Last summer I had a bit hanging in from the mirror in the car.
-pine ? As a kid we would make sachets of pine to put in bureau drawers. Yes, I like the smell.
-sawdust/unfinished wood ? Love it! Sawdust smell reminds me of the barn.
-wood smoke/fireplace ? One of my favorites in the fall.

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Summer Solstice (Northern Hemisphere) My daughter went to the summer revels on Saturday, celebrating the solstice.

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower left & lower right-

Thought for the Day:
-Edgar Allan Poe

Have a memorable (in a good way) Monday, C-D peeps Thanks, cloven. I have a long "to do" list, but hope to spend some time by the pool with the kids since it's predicted to be in the 90s today. Happy day, all!

Last edited by kpinvt; 06-20-2016 at 05:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics