Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:35 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,358 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Ready to tackle some Qs? Take a moment to relax, have your favorite Q-time goodies, and have a go at the following...

Today's Question(s):

Many families have unfamiliar vocabulary for any number of reasons. When the weather would become hot and especially humid, my grandmother would call it "close," pronounced like the word meaning near-to. I always had to explain that word to friends. Does your family have any words that usually need explanation to others?

Bonus Question(s):

Do you have in your yard any of the following:
bird feeders/birdbath?
any lawn ornaments, including animals, garden gnomes, Easter Island heads, garden flags, etc?
landscaped areas?
a "pond" or water feature of any sort?
other?

Just for Fun:
So what goodies are you snacking on, or drinking as you answer today's questions?

Today in History:
Arts/Literature: 1342 Bilbo Baggins returns to his home at Bag End, (Shire Reckoning)
Birthday: 1947 Octavia E. Butler, American sci-fi writer (d. Feb. 24, 2006)
Entertainment: 1963 "Little" Stevie Wonder (13) releases "Fingertips"
Food: 1847 Doughnut created
Just a little something to make you feel old: 1982 Prince Charles and Princess Diana take Prince William home from hospital
Science/Technology: 1633 Galileo Galilei forced to recant Earth orbits Sun by Pope (but on Oct 31, 1992, Vatican admits
it was wrong) Sports: 1958 Game in Kansas City between A's and Red Sox delayed 29 minutes due to tornado

Today’s Word:

nephalism
Pronunciation: (NEE-fuh-liz-uhm)
Meaning: noun: Teetotalism: abstinence from alcohol.
Etymology: From Greek nephalios (sober).
Earliest documented use: 1860.

Today is:
Baby Boomer's Recognition Day
Chocolate Eclair Day (U.S.)
Global Smurfs Day
Onion Ring Day (U.S.)
Stupid Guy Thing Day

Quote of the Day:
"In order to rise from its own ashes a phoenix first must burn." ~ Octavia E. Butler ~

Have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:42 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Today's Question(s):

Many families have unfamiliar vocabulary for any number of reasons. When the weather would become hot and especially humid, my grandmother would call it "close," pronounced like the word meaning near-to. I always had to explain that word to friends. Does your family have any words that usually need explanation to others? Nope, we speek vary cleerly.

Bonus Question(s):

bird feeders/birdbath? No
any lawn ornaments, including animals, garden gnomes, Easter Island heads, garden flags, etc? Yes, a turtle.
landscaped areas? Yes.
a "pond" or water feature of any sort? Lake.
other?

Just for Fun:
So what goodies are you snacking on, or drinking as you answer today's questions? Nothing.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:43 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Ready to tackle some Qs? Take a moment to relax, have your favorite Q-time goodies, and have a go at the following...

Today's Question(s):

Many families have unfamiliar vocabulary for any number of reasons. When the weather would become hot and especially humid, my grandmother would call it "close," pronounced like the word meaning near-to. I always had to explain that word to friends. Does your family have any words that usually need explanation to others? This week we're using the word for weather expressed as "it's hotter than H3LL" and is pronounced just like it looks.....

Bonus Question(s):

bird feeders/birdbath? No feeders or birdbaths here.
any lawn ornaments, including animals, garden gnomes, Easter Island heads, garden flags, etc? I do have several items of metal artwork on the front patio and hanging on the side of the house for decorations.
landscaped areas?
other?

Just for Fun:
So what goodies are you snacking on, or drinking as you answer today's questions?
Iced tea mostly and good old cold water.....

Today in History:
Arts/Literature: 1342 Bilbo Baggins returns to his home at Bag End, (Shire Reckoning)
Just a little something to make you feel old: 1982 Prince Charles and Princess Diana take Prince William home from hospital
Science/Technology: 1633 Galileo Galilei forced to recant Earth orbits Sun by Pope (but on Oct 31, 1992, Vatican admits
it was wrong) Sports: 1958 Game in Kansas City between A's and Red Sox delayed 29 minutes due to tornado

Today’s Word:

nephalism

Today is:
Global Smurfs Day
Onion Ring Day (U.S.)
Stupid Guy Thing Day

Quote of the Day:
"In order to rise from its own ashes a phoenix first must burn." ~ Octavia E. Butler ~

Old 06-21-2016, 10:44 PM

21,552 posts, read 8,733,710 times
Today's Question(s):

Many families have unfamiliar vocabulary for any number of reasons. When the weather would become hot and especially humid, my grandmother would call it "close," pronounced like the word meaning near-to. I always had to explain that word to friends. Does your family have any words that usually need explanation to others?
When my mother would tuck me in at night, she would say "Hasty bananas!" It was a humorous variation on Hasta manaña. (See you tomorrow). Later in her life I asked her if she remembered doing this, and she said no. But I remember.

When we were on a road trip and my father needed to use the restroom, he would say "I need to sharpen my skates." I have no idea where that expression came from.

Bonus Question(s):

bird feeders/birdbath?
any lawn ornaments, including animals, garden gnomes, Easter Island heads, garden flags, etc?
landscaped areas?
other?
No to all of the above

Just for Fun:
I am drinking some hot mint tea with honey to counteract all the garlic I had for dinner.

Thanks, Pat! Love the flamingo.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:45 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):

Bonus Question(s):

bird feeders/birdbath?
landscaped areas?
other?

Just for Fun:
Glass of sweet iced tea!

Today in History:
it was wrong)
Sports: 1958 Game in Kansas City between A's and Red Sox delayed 29 minutes due to tornado

Today’s Word:

nephalism

Today is:
Global Smurfs Day
Onion Ring Day (U.S.)
Stupid Guy Thing Day

Quote of the Day:

Thanks PatsCats! Nice job!

Old 06-21-2016, 11:40 PM

38,911 posts, read 22,906,011 times
Today's Question(s):
Many families have unfamiliar vocabulary for any number of reasons. When the weather would become hot and especially humid, my grandmother would call it "close," pronounced like the word meaning near-to. I always had to explain that word to friends. Does your family have any words that usually need explanation to others? A few in my parents' native language.

Bonus Question(s):
bird feeders/birdbath? No.
any lawn ornaments, including animals, garden gnomes, Easter Island heads, garden flags, etc? No.
landscaped areas? No.
a "pond" or water feature of any sort? No.
other? My backyard has battery-operated tier garden lights around the perimeter. They look like this:

Just for Fun:
So what goodies are you snacking on, or drinking as you answer today's questions? I'm thinking about getting a bowl of ice cream or some cookies shortly.

Have a wonderful Wednesday.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:51 AM

30,549 posts, read 16,240,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):

not really

Bonus Question(s):

bird feeders/birdbath? bird bath.
yup-mostly hippos but a few wood mushrooms I found at a yard sale.

landscaped areas?
no
other?
an old shed that I keep meaning to tear down. some day.

Just for Fun:
too early to eat. going back to bed soon.

Today is:
Global Smurfs Day
Onion Ring Day (U.S.)
Stupid Guy Thing Day

Quote of the Day:

thanks, PC.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:46 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
Many families have unfamiliar vocabulary for any number of reasons. When the weather would become hot and especially humid, my grandmother would call it "close," pronounced like the word meaning near-to. I always had to explain that word to friends. Does your family have any words that usually need explanation to others?omigosh so many. We have a lot of wordplay and include Yiddish, balderdized words, malapropisms, and puns on the regular. If it's pouring rain we'll say it's pluching out. Pluching is a bastardized version of Yiddish. also, instead of saying its two-thirty we might say it's tooth-hurty. Those are just two of oodles of examples.

Bonus Question(s):

Do you have in your yard any of the following:renting at an apt complex - no yard of our own but there is a pond/marshland out back
bird feeders/birdbath?
landscaped areas?
other?

Just for Fun:
So what goodies are you snacking on, or drinking as you answer today's questions? nothing - I rarely at when I'm browsing CD

Thanks pats - have a good day all!

Old 06-22-2016, 04:50 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,151,833 times
none that i can think of

none of those

just coffee .....

Old 06-22-2016, 04:58 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,291,726 times
Except for a brother and a couple of cousins I do not have family at all.
I have not seen my brother in 5 years. He lives in the Miami area and I'm in MD. We talk on the phone about every 3 months or so...

Cousins are not near me either. Even less contact via phone with one of them...

As mentioned - all apartments in my general area, and there are a lot of them.

Quote:
I had a very rough time at the dentist yesterday so no snacking for me. I was told no solid food for the next 3 days but I think I can handle an omelet which I plan to fix later.
It's going to be a rough 3 weeks but I will have a full recovery.
Feeling a lot better since I broke my tooth Saturday night.

I was at the dentist office yesterday in two segments for a total of 4 hours. I'm in recovery mode right now. So glad I have the day off, first time I had my Tuesday and Wednesday off in a long time.

Thanks, PatsCats.
Hope everyone has a good Wednesday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics