Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 01:38 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,374,299 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday July 11, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Have you ever gone to a place or performance, in which the side trip or opening act (the unexpected part of the experience)
was more interesting & fun than the official “main” event/destination ?

Extra Credit:
Do you eat muffins (includes mini-muffins) ?
If so, do you prefer savory (such as bran or corn) or sweet (such as blueberry or banana) flavors ?
Do you eat “English” muffins ? If so, toasted a little or a lot ? With what toppings ?

LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin
LINK —>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_muffin

Bonus:
Would you want to visit Greenland or Iceland (one, both, or neither) ?
Is there another island nation you’d like to visit instead ?

Just for Fun:
There’s a genre called “Survival” stories featuring an individual or group trying to surmount an extreme environment
(for instance: weather, geography, altitude, a natural-or manmade-disaster, etc.).
Do such tales interest you (whether fiction/fantasy, news/documentary, or somewhere in between) ?
Have you read or seen any entertaining vampire, werewolf, or zombie-related books/shows/films lately ?

LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_film
LINK —>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism_in_fiction

Today in History:
1889: Official founding of the city of Tijuana, Mexico (on the Baja California peninsula)
1921: Former president Wm. Howard Taft sworn in as chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, the only person to have occupied both positions
1936: Dedication & formal opening of NYC’s Triborough Bridge system, connecting the Bronx, Queens, and Manhattan
1953: Birth of actress Mindy Sterling (Austin Powers film franchise)
1956: Birth of actress Sela Ward (tv series Sisters)
1957: Birth of singer & musician Peter Murphy (the band Bauhaus)
1959: Birth of singer-songwriter Suzanne Vega (“Luka”)
1960: Birth of actress Caroline Quentin (tv series Jonathan Creek)
2012: Announcement of discovery that a fifth moon, Styx, orbits Pluto

Today’s Word:
lassitude /ˈlasəˌt(y)o͞od/ (n.): State of exhaustion, depletion, a lack of energy.

Today Is:
World Population Day
Cheer Up the Lonely Day
National Blueberry Muffin Day

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at center-

Thought for the Day:
“…Love is real when it expands and enhances your life-and troubling and problematic when it contracts or impairs it.
Whether you love a person, a drug, or an intellectual interest, if it is spurring creativity, connection, and kindness, it’s not an addiction-
but if it’s making you isolated, dull, and mean, it is.”
-Maia Szalavitz

Wishing everybuggy a Monday that’s neither too dry nor too humid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever gone to a place or performance, in which the side trip or opening act (the unexpected part of the experience)

It's happened a few times going to concerts - seeing the supporting band instead of the main act.

The last time was Yes w/ Peter Frampton a few years ago. I'm a big fan of the latter, the band Yes, not so much.
But I went with an open mind. They were worse than I expected and I ended up walking out half way through their set. Not into fusion which is all they played and I did not like their new singer. Their sound system was distorted which added to my annoyance.

Frampton was his usual great self and in fine form. He is one of my favorite guitar players of all time. Don't judge just on his 1970s success. He is way better than that...

Extra Credit:
If so, do you prefer savory (such as bran or corn) or sweet (such as blueberry or banana) flavors ?
Do you eat “English” muffins ? If so, toasted a little or a lot ? With what toppings ?

Chocolate muffins are among my favorite foods of all time. I like blueberry too.

I don't remember the last time I had the "mini" variety.

I like English muffins but haven't had them in a while and I don't have them often. Never had them non-toasted. Butter w/honey probably the most often. I also like cream cheese but the way it is sold is not practical for me. With a good jelly (cherry or strawberry jelly that is not mass produced) would be a nice treat once in a while...

Bonus:

Never thought about it but I would probably accept a free trip! However, no burning desire to go.

Can't think of any at this time...

Just for Fun:
There’s a genre called “Survival” stories featuring an individual or group trying to surmount an extreme environment
(for instance: weather, geography, altitude, a natural-or manmade-disaster, etc.).
Do such tales interest you (whether fiction/fantasy, news/documentary, or somewhere in between) ?
Have you read or seen any entertaining vampire, werewolf, or zombie-related books/shows/films lately ?

Not much interest in most listed but I like documentaries including some on the weather. Would be open to watch as long as it's non-fiction.

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday to all!

Last edited by John13; 07-11-2016 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: Added a little plus middle of the night mistakes, ha, ha.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:11 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,150,490 times
yes

not regularly
either or
yes, burnt, jam

both
UK

Old 07-11-2016, 02:24 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Today’s Question:
I've gone to a concert where I couldn't wait for the opening act to end. But most have been okay.

Extra Credit:
Do you eat muffins (includes mini-muffins) ? Breakfast muffins.
If so, do you prefer savory (such as bran or corn) or sweet (such as blueberry or banana) flavors ? Sweeeet, blueberry, banana, chocolate chip, etc.
Do you eat “English” muffins ? If so, toasted a little or a lot ? With what toppings ? Yep. Toasted with cheese.

Bonus:
Would you want to visit Greenland or Iceland (one, both, or neither) ? I'd go to either. Preferably in summer.
Is there another island nation you’d like to visit instead ? Never been to Ireland. Would like to see more of Great Britain, too.

Just for Fun:
Do such tales interest you (whether fiction/fantasy, news/documentary, or somewhere in between) ? I have read books like that when younger. In recent years I look at things like climbing Mount Everest as a waste of time, effort and money - and sometimes lives. So many better things to do. But I used to read old seafaring books or books about explorers or colonists surviving the elements and the unknown.
Have you read or seen any entertaining vampire, werewolf, or zombie-related books/shows/films lately ? I'd rather read or see something else.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:49 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times

Today’s Question:
was more interesting & fun than the official “main” event/destination ? No

Extra Credit:
Do you eat muffins (includes mini-muffins) ? Not now.
Do you eat “English” muffins ? No If so, toasted a little or a lot ? With what toppings ?

LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_muffin

Bonus:
Would you want to visit Greenland or Iceland (one, both, or neither) ? Yes
Is there another island nation you’d like to visit instead ? New Zealand

Just for Fun:
Do such tales interest you (whether fiction/fantasy, news/documentary, or somewhere in between) ? No
Have you read or seen any entertaining vampire, werewolf, or zombie-related books/shows/films lately ? No

LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism_in_fiction

Today in History:
1889: Official founding of the city of Tijuana, Mexico (on the Baja California peninsula)
1921: Former president Wm. Howard Taft sworn in as chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, the only person to have occupied both positions
1936: Dedication & formal opening of NYC’s Triborough Bridge system, connecting the Bronx, Queens, and Manhattan

Today’s Word:
lassitude /ˈlasəˌt(y)o͞od/ (n.): State of exhaustion, depletion, a lack of energy.

Today Is:
World Population Day
Cheer Up the Lonely Day

Old 07-11-2016, 05:02 AM

126,287 posts, read 19,062,233 times

Today’s Question:
was more interesting & fun than the official “main” event/destination ? Not that I recall

Extra Credit:
Do you eat muffins (includes mini-muffins) ? very seldom muffins
If so, do you prefer savory (such as bran or corn) or sweet (such as blueberry or banana) flavors ? I like both
Do you eat “English” muffins ? If so, toasted a little or a lot ? With what toppings ? I enjoy English muffin with apricot jam or orange marmalade or cinnamon/honey spread

LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_muffin

Bonus:
Would you want to visit Greenland or Iceland (one, both, or neither) ? Yes especially Iceland
Is there another island nation you’d like to visit instead ? can't think of any

Just for Fun:
Do such tales interest you (whether fiction/fantasy, news/documentary, or somewhere in between) ? Not rally
Have you read or seen any entertaining vampire, werewolf, or zombie-related books/shows/films lately ? long ago Dracula movies

LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism_in_fiction

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
World Population Day
Cheer Up the Lonely Day

Today’s Picture:...pretty looking maze

Thought for the Day:
“…Love is real when it expands and enhances your life-and troubling and problematic when it contracts or impairs it.
Whether you love a person, a drug, or an intellectual interest, if it is spurring creativity, connection, and kindness, it’s not an addiction-
-Maia Szalavitz

Thank you cloven

Old 07-11-2016, 05:14 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,598,917 times
was more interesting & fun than the official “main” event/destination ? probably but can't think exactly where. What came to mind was seeing bow wow wow opening for the police. That was a fun surprise.

Extra Credit:
Do you eat muffins (includes mini-muffins) ? yes but I prefer regular ones
If so, do you prefer savory (such as bran or corn) or sweet (such as blueberry or banana) flavors ? sweet which includes corn IMO. I love pistachio muffins - shoppers makes them for those of you with that store chain nearby.
Do you eat “English” muffins ? used to and would againIf so, toasted a little or a lot ? i like my toasted breads to be really toasty With what toppings ? good butter - sometimes jam. Had them with peanut butter too - melty and yummy

[/b][/color] LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin
LINK —>

[color=DarkRed][b]Bonus:
Would you want to visit Greenland or Iceland (one, both, or neither) ? sure!
Is there another island nation you’d like to visit instead ? well I'm going to the British isles in August

Just for Fun:
Do such tales interest you (whether fiction/fantasy, news/documentary, or somewhere in between) ? yes they interest me - fact or fiction. Jack London.
Have you read or seen any entertaining vampire, werewolf, or zombie-related books/shows/films lately ? not lately - I don't typically read those but do watch tv and movies about all that.

Too hard to get it back on my iPad but I enjoyed the quote this week - thought provoking.

Also it's already hot and humid here.

Thanks and have a great week!

Old 07-11-2016, 05:42 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever gone to a place or performance, in which the side trip or opening act (the unexpected part of the experience) was more interesting & fun than the official “main” event/destination ?

All I know is over the years, I've never gone to concerts frequently but I've seen Sheryl Crow, opening act, more than you would expect for someone who has seen so few concerts. But my answer is not that I recall.

Extra Credit:

I like both kinds of muffins, English, corn, blueberry, banana, chocolate, etc.

Bonus:
Not really.

Is there another island nation you’d like to visit instead ? Maybe when I can be beamed there, Ireland. Rent a car and just drive around.

Just for Fun:

Movies maybe, although I did read a really interesting book I own on the Donner party called "Desperate Passage: The Donner Party's Perilous Journey West" by Ethan Rarick. I just checked. It's still available on Amazon.

The best werewolf movie is "The Howling" from the 1980s. Not interested in Zombies. I liked the Twilight series, especially the first movie. Haven't seen any recently.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:09 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,236,087 times
Good morning everyone! Sorry for the lack of formatting, I'm away this morning and have to answer on my phone today

Today’s Question:
None come to mind.
Extra Credit:
Don't eat 'em.
[/b][/color] LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin
LINK —>

Bonus:
Would you want to visit Greenland or Iceland (one, both, or neither) ? Sure. A bit chilly for my tastes, but given the chance I'd go.
Just about any of the Caribbean islands would be fun.

Just for Fun:
Years ago I used to watch a series like that on discovery channel called I shouldn't be alive
LINK —>

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
World Population Day
Cheer Up the Lonely Day

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Maia Szalavitz

[/quote]

Old 07-11-2016, 06:42 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,418 times
Today’s Question:
was more interesting & fun than the official “main” event/destination ? Can't think of one. I will say that I've found some interesting places when lost or just wandering, but I wouldn't say these places were more interesting than the main destination.

Extra Credit:
Do you eat muffins (includes mini-muffins) ? Do!
If so, do you prefer savory (such as bran or corn) or sweet (such as blueberry or banana) flavors ? Like both savory and sweet. Blueberry is a favorite.
Do you eat “English” muffins ? If so, toasted a little or a lot ? With what toppings ? Used to eat English muffins with jam.

LINK —>

Bonus:
Would you want to visit Greenland or Iceland (one, both, or neither) ? Not really interested.
Is there another island nation you’d like to visit instead ? New Zealand, Ireland

Just for Fun:
Do such tales interest you (whether fiction/fantasy, news/documentary, or somewhere in between) ? Not a genre I usually read.
Have you read or seen any entertaining vampire, werewolf, or zombie-related books/shows/films lately ? Haven't

LINK —>

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
World Population Day
Cheer Up the Lonely Day

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at center- Have tried a couple times but keep getting stuck!

Thought for the Day:
-Maia Szalavitz

Wishing everybuggy a Monday that’s neither too dry nor too humid After a couple days of rain, today is starting out with blue skies and sunshine. I need to get outside! Enjoy your day, all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics