Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 10:36 PM

44,378 posts, read 20,094,272 times

Advertisements

Hi, everybody! I hope your week started out well. Before I go further: I need a volunteer to do the Tuesday questions next week. I'll be out of town and offline for a few days and won't be able to do the Q's. Please let me know via DM whether you can fill in for me on January 28. Thanks! [UPDATE: I have a volunteer. Thank you!] Now, let's get to

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Name a style of clothing that you wore as a teenager that you now think would look ridiculous.

Which decade during your lifetime do you think had the worst fashions? Give some examples.

Have you ever worn mascara?

Do you ever wear a fashionable hat?

Are you wearing a belt right now?

How many pairs of gloves do you own (including work gloves, gardening gloves, etc.)?

If you were around in the 1960s, did you ever wear peace sign jewelry or paint flowers on your face or other parts of your body?

BONUS QUESTIONS

If you play games online, what game categories do you like (e.g., word; hidden object; puzzles; cards)?

When was the last time you played a game online, and which game was it?

Are you a paid subscriber to any websites?

How did you first find or hear of City-Data?

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

Until 1977, attorneys were not allowed to advertise on TV. Until the mid-80s, drug companies were not permitted to advertise. Do you wish that were the case now?

Has a TV commercial ever prompted you to purchase an item or a service?

Have you ever purchased anything through a shopping channel such as QVC?

There's an "As Seen On TV" store in our local shopping mall. The store contains a bazillion items advertised on TV, such as the Sham-Wow, Flex Seal, Pocket Fisherman, all sorts of gadgets and small appliances, etc. Have you ever been in an ASOT store, or ASOT section of a department store such as J C Penney?

That's the end of today's installment. Now go forth and have a totally terrific Tuesday! And don't forget to commit an act of kindness.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-21-2020 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 10:46 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,691,617 times
Hi, everybody! I hope your week started out well. Before I go further: I need a volunteer to do the Tuesday questions next week. I'll be out of town and offline for a few days and won't be able to do the Q's. Please let me know via DM whether you can fill in for me on January 28. Thanks! Now, let's get to

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Name a style of clothing that you wore as a teenager that you now think would look ridiculous. I never wore any kind of fashion clothing. I did have a pair of cord fabric sport pants. Amost got sent home from college for wearing jeans to class.

Which decade during your lifetime do you think had the worst fashions? Give some examples. I don't feel qualified to answer this as I never paid attention. If it is a fashion then those baggy pants below the cheeks with underwear in full view takes the prize.

Have you ever worn mascara? Never

Do you ever wear a fashionable hat? One Panama Jack and one brown Fedora felt dress hat. I can be hard on hats...

Are you wearing a belt right now? No, suspenders.

How many pairs of gloves do you own (including work gloves, gardening gloves, etc.)? 5 or 6 maybe including white print handling gloves.

If you were around in the 1960s, did you ever wear peace sign jewelry or paint flowers on your face or other parts of your body? Never.

BONUS QUESTIONS

If you play games online, what game categories do you like (e.g., word; hidden object; puzzles; cards)? Only CD brain exercise games.

When was the last time you played a game online, and which game was it? Many games on CD today and yesterday and the day before -- Self explanatory...

Are you a paid subscriber to any websites? No

How did you first find or hear of City-Data? I was searching for demographics for Mountain Home, AR. I used the demographics side of CD for a year and a half before venturing into the forums.

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

Until 1977, attorneys were not allowed to advertise on TV. Until the mid-80s, drug companies were not permitted to advertise. Do you wish that were the case now? Absolutely

Has a TV commercial ever prompted you to purchase an item or a service? Most likely as in visiting a new restaurant or a new food product from a supermarket.

Have you ever purchased anything through a shopping channel such as QVC? Maybe once long ago but memory is foggy for such.

There's an "As Seen On TV" store in our local shopping mall. The store contains a bazillion items advertised on TV, such as the Sham-Wow, Flex Seal, Pocket Fisherman, all sorts of gadgets and small appliances, etc. Have you ever been in an ASOT store, or ASOT section of a department store such as J C Penney? No. I'd much rather spend my time wandering aimlessly in a nature park and better yet on a large tract of private property as on a ranch that has sections set aside for wildlife.

Thanks Pam for the good questions.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 01-20-2020 at 11:55 PM..

Old 01-20-2020, 11:35 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,904,188 times
Hi, everybody! I hope your week started out well. Before I go further: I need a volunteer to do the Tuesday questions next week. I'll be out of town and offline for a few days and won't be able to do the Q's. Please let me know via DM whether you can fill in for me on January 28. Thanks! Now, let's get to

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Name a style of clothing that you wore as a teenager that you now think would look ridiculous.
Corduroy pants, bell bottoms (very short lived)...
Which decade during your lifetime do you think had the worst fashions? Give some examples.

LOL ! No!
Western hats. Felt or straw. Just caps these days.
Not in my pajamas. With pants.. yes.
How many pairs of gloves do you own (including work gloves, gardening gloves, etc.)?
Quite a few. Rarely use any though.
If you were around in the 1960s, did you ever wear peace sign jewelry or paint flowers on your face or other parts of your body?
Nope. Bound to have had something with a peace sign though.
BONUS QUESTIONS

If you play games online, what game categories do you like (e.g., word; hidden object; puzzles; cards)?

Researching nostalgia.
EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

Until 1977, attorneys were not allowed to advertise on TV. Until the mid-80s, drug companies were not permitted to advertise. Do you wish that were the case now?
Absolutely!

Wife has. I may have.
There's an "As Seen On TV" store in our local shopping mall. The store contains a bazillion items advertised on TV, such as the Sham-Wow, Flex Seal, Pocket Fisherman, all sorts of gadgets and small appliances, etc. Have you ever been in an ASOT store, or ASOT section of a department store such as J C Penney?
Wal-Mart's have them in store here.

That's the end of today's installment. Now go forth and have a totally terrific Tuesday! And don't forget to commit an act of kindness.
Thanks Pam! Same to you!

Last edited by SATX56; 01-20-2020 at 11:46 PM..

Old 01-21-2020, 12:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,068,247 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Hot Pants

Which decade during your lifetime do you think had the worst fashions? Give some examples. Definitely the 1970s for worst fashion for men. It's when they started to look feminine: earrings, platform shoes and boots, glam rock, leisure suits, safari suits, loud colored polyester pants and polyester 3 piece suits, ruffled/frilly shirts, plaid blazers and plaid pants (not together), velvet jackets. Think John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever and David Bowie. Minus the cigarettes, that's when the Marlboro Man started looking good.

Have you ever worn mascara? yes

Do you ever wear a fashionable hat? Easter Sunday only when I was a kid. But, I made my bridesmaids and maid of honor wear one. They looked very nice.

Are you wearing a belt right now? No. Don't own any.

How many pairs of gloves do you own (including work gloves, gardening gloves, etc.)? 1 and I only wear them when the temps are below freezing...and then I usually lose one.

If you were around in the 1960s, did you ever wear peace sign jewelry or paint flowers on your face or other parts of your body? No. Never had my face painted.

BONUS QUESTIONS

trivia, word games, hidden object but I only like the travel-related hidden object games not the fantasy type ones because the travel ones have mostly daytime screens plus, I learn something when I play the travel ones that sometimes helps me with trivia. The others are pretty dark (set indoors or at night).

When was the last time you played a game online, and which game was it? I just played trivia duel online (the categories change at 1:00A ET) and before that I played Bejeweled 3

Are you a paid subscriber to any websites? yes

How did you first find or hear of City-Data? I think I'm one of the originals. I've been here since 2006. I was searching retirement locations.

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

No. The TV commercials I think are dumb are perfume commercials since you can't smell the products. Those commercials tell me nothing about what they are selling.

Has a TV commercial ever prompted you to purchase an item or a service? Yes.

Have you ever purchased anything through a shopping channel such as QVC? No. I hate shopping. I don't even know which channel numbers are the shopping channels.

There's an "As Seen On TV" store in our local shopping mall. The store contains a bazillion items advertised on TV, such as the Sham-Wow, Flex Seal, Pocket Fisherman, all sorts of gadgets and small appliances, etc. Have you ever been in an ASOT store, or ASOT section of a department store such as J C Penney? No. Didn't know they existed.

Good Qs.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:20 AM

21,569 posts, read 8,745,386 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Miniskirts
I thought some of the seventies fashions were pretty bad.
Yes, I still do.
Rarely. I am short and most hats make me look like a mushroom with legs.
No, I almost never wear belts.
2 pairs garden gloves

One pair ski gloves
1-1/2 pairs knit gloves
1 pair suede gloves

No, but I had jeans with peace signs tie-dyed into the fabric.
BONUS QUESTIONS

Word games, Solitaire
I just played Words with Friends with somebody on this site...maybe you can guess who.
Yes, one or two.
Mr. Bay loves and high rise development websites I found the City-Data forum through one of these sites, City-Data.
EXTRA CREDIT Q'S
Yes, I do. I get so tired of hearing "XXX may cause rash, diarrhea, fainting, joint pain, suicidal thoughts, muscle spasms (etc. etc.)."
Yes, if it's a product that interests me. I recently saw an ad for something called Plant Butter that I'd like to try. It that claims to taste just as good as butter. I didn't know the product existed until I saw the ad.
No, I haven't.
Yes, there was one in a mall I visited once. I also have visited an Amazon Express store. But in both cases I was just looking around and didn't buy anything.

Thanks, Pam!

Old 01-21-2020, 12:45 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,399,892 times
Good Morning

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Hot Pants

Which decade during your lifetime do you think had the worst fashions? Give some examples. Can't say any were worst--find fashion trends interesting.

Have you ever worn mascara? Yes, since I was around 14!

Do you ever wear a fashionable hat? No

Are you wearing a belt right now? No

How many pairs of gloves do you own (including work gloves, gardening gloves, etc.)? Oh lordy, many--probably over ten pairs

If you were around in the 1960s, did you ever wear peace sign jewelry or paint flowers on your face or other parts of your body? Peace sign jewelry

BONUS QUESTIONS

Never play games online

Are you a paid subscriber to any websites? No-but I keep considering the NYT

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

Until 1977, attorneys were not allowed to advertise on TV. Until the mid-80s, drug companies were not permitted to advertise. Do you wish that were the case now? Yes

Has a TV commercial ever prompted you to purchase an item or a service? Yes

There's an "As Seen On TV" store in our local shopping mall. The store contains a bazillion items advertised on TV, such as the Sham-Wow, Flex Seal, Pocket Fisherman, all sorts of gadgets and small appliances, etc. Have you ever been in an ASOT store, or ASOT section of a department store such as J C Penney? I see them in Walgreens

Enjoy your Tuesday!

Old 01-21-2020, 01:14 AM

30,582 posts, read 16,268,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

gogo boots

not too up on this decade thing. Fashion just morphs from in to out to ridiculous.

nope

when it's cold I wear a crocheted one that covers my ears. and when I'm out during hunting season I have a bright orange cap. Hate it but it beats getting shot.

nope

couple of winter gloves and quite a few gardening gloves.

I was but I didn't. Never wore tie dye either. I think one of my major accomplishments is never having worn tie dye.

BONUS QUESTIONS

mostly hidden object

this morning-the Daily Snoop and Snoop Stamps

nope

was thinking about moving to Maine and was looking for info.

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

YES!

nope

long time ago. Don't remember what.

no. As Seen on TV is not a good recommendation to me.

thanks, Pam. enjoy you unplugged time.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:23 AM

44,652 posts, read 61,707,500 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Name a style of clothing that you wore as a teenager that you now think would look ridiculous. All the guys I knew and myself we wore Levi's and the gals wore either a dress or pedal pushers.

Which decade during your lifetime do you think had the worst fashions? Give some examples. Have no idea, never paid attention to fashion fads. I always wore a business suit as an adult and Levi's in the off times.

Have you ever worn mascara? Ha ha, no.

Do you ever wear a fashionable hat? Fashionable no, garden hat yes..

Are you wearing a belt right now? No, at the moment have on draw string pj's.

2 pr garden gloves.

If you were around in the 1960s, did you ever wear peace sign jewelry or paint flowers on your face or other parts of your body? No, was never interested in fads.

BONUS QUESTIONS

If you play games online, what game categories do you like (e.g., word; hidden object; puzzles; cards)? Have in the past played poker and blackjack. Also some CD one's too.

When was the last time you played a game online, and which game was it? Blackjack about 6 months ago.

Are you a paid subscriber to any websites? No.

How did you first find or hear of City-Data? Back on 07, on another web site that was closing down, Magnum Mike at the time referred me to CD.

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

Until 1977, attorneys were not allowed to advertise on TV. Until the mid-80s, drug companies were not permitted to advertise. Do you wish that were the case now? Yes yes yes.

Has a TV commercial ever prompted you to purchase an item or a service? Probably have, don't recall which ones right now.

Have you ever purchased anything through a shopping channel such as QVC? No.

There's an "As Seen On TV" store in our local shopping mall. The store contains a bazillion items advertised on TV, such as the Sham-Wow, Flex Seal, Pocket Fisherman, all sorts of gadgets and small appliances, etc. Have you ever been in an ASOT store, or ASOT section of a department store such as J C Penney? Yes I've perused a few out of curiosity,never bought anything.
Thank's Ms Pam, wanna join in...

Old 01-21-2020, 02:07 AM

3,082 posts, read 1,687,981 times
I'm back!!!!

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Name a style of clothing that you wore as a teenager that you now think would look ridiculous. Maybe my fringed suede jacket with silly patches on them. I still have it. I think I'd look silly in it now.

Which decade during your lifetime do you think had the worst fashions? Give some examples. 70's: Didn't like a lot of patterns (plaids, paisley), or ruffles, or most of the women's hairstyles. 80's: Bat-sleeves, overly-padded shoulders, frizzy tight perms. For me it's a toss-up btwn these two decades.

Have you ever worn mascara? All the time, for over 50 years.

Do you ever wear a fashionable hat? No. But I wear a lot of berets and western hats.

Are you wearing a belt right now? Nope

How many pairs of gloves do you own (including work gloves, gardening gloves, etc.)? At least 20.

If you were around in the 1960s, did you ever wear peace sign jewelry or paint flowers on your face or other parts of your body? I wore a necklace with a peace medallion, I wore lots of beads and bangle bracelets and hoop earrings (still do). No artsy paint, though.

BONUS QUESTIONS

If you play games online, what game categories do you like (e.g., word; hidden object; puzzles; cards)? Crosswords, action.

When was the last time you played a game online, and which game was it? Bubble Burst

Are you a paid subscriber to any websites? Nope

How did you first find or hear of City-Data? Good question. That was in 2007 or earlier. Had to have come across it while researching something.

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

Until 1977, attorneys were not allowed to advertise on TV. Until the mid-80s, drug companies were not permitted to advertise. Do you wish that were the case now? YES! But my big complaint is that LENGTH of their commercials.

Has a TV commercial ever prompted you to purchase an item or a service? Yes, an item.

Have you ever purchased anything through a shopping channel such as QVC? Nope

.[/quote] Thanks, PJ.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:51 AM

61,884 posts, read 87,361,740 times

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

I liked the style when I was a teenager. Styles go in a cycle. Everything comes back into style eventually, and if you live long enough you'll probably see the trends of your youth cycle back into fashion a few times.

I would say - the 80's. The padded shoulders, a grotesque full-on linebacker levels of padding. Ridiculous hairstyles too.

Always - since my late teens.

At times. Yes.

Not to my PJ...

Perhaps a dozen? Incl. driver and dress gloves and excl. work and garden gloves.

Not old enough to wear those.

BONUS QUESTIONS

I don't play many games online except Words with Friends, Chess and Sudoku.

All of the above. At least once a week.

Paid subscriber??? No!

I needed advice from locals about relocation. Funny, I posted that question in 2007 and after a few posts forgot my password. Came back year later as a new member.

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

Yes!!! But I resolved it by subscribing to channels that don't show advertising. I have no clue what is advertised nowadays.

Nope. See above. I am not easily influenced. When I need something I do my own research.

Never watched those.

Nope, and in my opinion, 90% of those "As seen on TV" products have worst reviews and are total junk. It seems that stuff that doesn't sell anywhere else gets its last chance at ASOT.

Thank you, Pammy!!!
Happy Tuesday, peeps!

Last edited by elnina; 01-21-2020 at 03:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics