Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:30 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,474,324 times

Advertisements

I couldn't think of where else to post this, so I posted it under other topics. Like the title says, is there a big difference bewteen late teens (17-19) and mid 20s (23-27)? I am 18 (almost 19) and I honestly don't think mid 20s is much older than me, and my parents agree. But some people in that age range, especially on city data forums, talk to me as if I'm so much younger than them. I just don't get it. Do you go through a lot of changes between 18 and 25 to the point where 18 really would seem young?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 03:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Yes, in mid 20's you start really grasping a few facts of life! Certainly more mature at 25 than 19. Varies in individuals of course.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM

483 posts, read 854,548 times
In your late teens, more than likely you are still living under your parent's roof and all you really have to worry about is graduating high school, your future profession and college.

In your mid twenties, you are more than likely living on your own and paying rent and have an electrical bill in your name that you are responsible for. In addition, you have a career and might be already married with a child/children and juggling children and working plus a marriage. So yes, there are a lot of differences: one being the level of responsibility.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:05 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
To some extent those years are like dog years...so to speak. By that I mean you learn a lot more in each year at that age. For instance, someone who is 37-39 is not learning that much more about life and people each year as someone 43-47. But in the age range you mentioned, the younger someone is the more they are learning each year.

Put it another way. If you're a parent you don't want your late teens, still-in-high-school kid dating an in-college, drinks-legally 20 something!

But if your kid is a 30 something dating a 40 something? No sweat!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:14 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
I agree with kandle in that the dividing line can really be determined by those who work/live on their own and those who still rely on financial support from their parents. There is a certain maturity that only comes about after one has to go to work on a regular basis and budget whatever pay they are able to make in order to survive. Some at 18-19 year old learn this long before lots of 25 year old. Actually, some of them learn this before many who are 30. I don't consider anyone who has to live off of their parents as being an adult....regardless of age.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I couldn't think of where else to post this, so I posted it under other topics. Like the title says, is there a big difference bewteen late teens (17-19) and mid 20s (23-27)? I am 18 (almost 19) and I honestly don't think mid 20s is much older than me, and my parents agree. But some people in that age range, especially on city data forums, talk to me as if I'm so much younger than them. I just don't get it. Do you go through a lot of changes between 18 and 25 to the point where 18 really would seem young?
I matured considerably between the ages of 18 and 25. When I was 25 years of age, I was not keen on hanging out with the 18 year olds unless they were unusually mature. During my last year in college, I shared an on-campus apartment with two 18 year olds and had to switch apartments halfway through the year due to the lack of maturity and common sense displayed by these newly independent 18 year olds.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:53 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times
At 18 I was incredibly naive and overprotected. By 25 I was on my second career, had traveled all over the US, lived in a couple of different places, and built my first house.

Your twenties can be a time of enormous learning experience, or maybe not.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:19 PM

I can understand what people are saying about how you support yourself at 25 but your parents support you at 18. That is the biggest difference I see between a 25 year old and someone my age.

But there's more to consider than just finances. For example, my parents support me at 18. But my 3 year old cousins are also supported by their parents. Who do I have more in common with though? The 3 year old or the 25 year old? The answer should be obvious.

Or if we want the same age gap between both examples, let's compare me (18) to an 11 year old and a 25 year old. Even in this case, I might have more in common with the 25 year old. Whether or not you support yourself is not the be-all, end-all to determine how much you have in common with someone.

GloryB brings up a good point. There are plenty of immature 25 year olds living with their parents and acting like teenagers.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I matured considerably between the ages of 18 and 25. When I was 25 years of age, I was not keen on hanging out with the 18 year olds unless they were unusually mature. During my last year in college, I shared an on-campus apartment with two 18 year olds and had to switch apartments halfway through the year due to the lack of maturity and common sense displayed by these newly independent 18 year olds.
I know what you mean. I'm 18 and sometimes even I get frustrated by the lack of maturity of some people my age. Yes, my parents support me so I'm not mature in that aspect. But in other ways, I am mature for my age.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:19 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,608,515 times
Depends on your life experience and your willingness to take responsibility for yourself.

I think generally, yes, there is a big difference. But there is always an exception. My husband had a professor in college who grew up in a war torn country. His parents were killed when he was 5. He literally took care of himself from that age forward. He educated himself and I imagine was pretty darn mature at 18.

That's extreme, but the point is that if you are exposed to adult-like challenges at a younger age and you are able to handle them well, then you are going to be more mature than many older people. Some people go their entire lives and never grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics