Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,045 times

Advertisements

I really don't care about downtown Scranton at all, and don't feel sorry for me either. I'm not from NEPA, I'm from outside Philly where we have multiple stores within miles. I have 6 malls within 10min drive of my house, each being successful.
I'm all for more shops. There aren't many of them around. Christmas Tree Shop for example. It's a great store and will do awesome at Montage. As far as stores taking away from Scranton business, well then it happens and if the economy can't support the extra store one will close. Does it mean old stores, not always, I'm sure a fair amount of the new stores will fail too.
The way I see it is don't get angry over stores closing in Scranton because a new store opens, get mad at consumers if anything. Stores that are more profitable will stay open, and if a store does less business why should it stay open?
Plus all the money is in Moosic, everyone knows it. Follow the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 08:11 AM

850 posts, read 3,159,019 times
"I suppose the "norm" in America is to yearn for a 4 BR, 2.5 bath, two-story, vinyl-sided McMansion on a suburban cul-de-sac in a "gated community" to keep one's family sheltered from the outside world. I suppose the "norm" in America is to yearn to drive a half-hour or more each way to work via congested roadways in a Navigator, Escalade, or Hummer while yammering on the cell phone to try to "rectify" the guilt of "not having time" to talk to people in person, like they did in the "good 'ole days." I suppose the "norm" in America is this notion of "pod" living---We live in housing pods called "gated communities", we drive to work pods called "office parks, industrial parks, or downtowns", we drive to shopping pods called "strip malls, outlet centers, or big-box stores", we drive to recreation pods called "parks", etc., and current zoning regulations in much of our nation strictly prohibits any of these aforementioned "pods" to be within reasonable walking distance of each other."

SWB - I think it is what we have been TAUGHT the norm should be. Somehow, somewhere, the person who began the entire suburban sprawl taught society to spreadout, conquer, take no prisoners and ask questions later.

I want to know why previous generations fell for it, and why ours can't seem to stop it.

Ever seen the movie, "Over the Hedge"? It is SUCH a truthful, yet comedic portrayal of American Suburbia. When 'R.J' the racoon, voiced by Bruce Willis, is explaining suburbia to the animals who have awakened to find their forest home destroyed while they slept the winter away - it was the truest description of today's suburban life yet.

When asked about the SUV's - 'How many people ride in this? ", "usually....one.", I could not help but say 'YES!' take that!!

I live in Kentucky - obviously, lol! - and have wondered for years why developers deem it necessary to continue disrupting more and more land - yet the city itself keeps coming up with plans to 'restore' downtown. The ironic part? City and county has merged. The surbuban developments which lure people out is the very thig the city is trying to combat. What is going on here? Money from both ends, thats what.

I watched last year as an area close to a hospital ( an area which was once considered 'county') ripped out left over forest acreage to make room for a W..A..L..M..A..R..T .....we had racoons and birds and all kinds of animals moving into the parking garage because their home was gone. All in the name of progress.
A very short drive and the people living in the area have access to 3 Walmarts that I can count right now - and I am sure I am missing a few in my mind. Additionally, the building of this superstore will remove businesses which have been there since I was a kid. Drugstores, grocery stores, clothing stores, pet stores - they will be gone soon as they will not be able to compete. And again - there will be empty buildings, and people will begin to complain about 'revitalizing the area'. Why kill it in the first place?

I have a short list of criteria for development:

Will it bring jobs to an area where there is a high unemployment rate? Yes? Go for it.

Will it destroy shops which have become icons in the community and hurt families which have worked for genrations to preserve tham? No? Go for it.

Will it simply make life easier for those who already have it easy while making life harder on the less fortunate and the wildlife? Yes? STOP right there.

I live in a town which has been stagnate for years. We finally got a McDonalds in 2004, and just last year, a Family Dollar store opened. Life in this town was dying, young people moving out because their are no jobs, businesess around for years closing due to lack of sales, houses falling apart because of the low income stuck here - yet our city council was so slow to do anything - with the town drowning around them - because they were afraid of change. A new mayor made things move, new city council memebers opened the door to change - and our town is being revived - one step at a time. Sometimes change can be good.

If progress will bring life to an area that desparetly needs it - great. If it is meant to only make the rich richer and satisfy the tastebuds of those who want the finer things in life( but already have them anyway) - then progress should be called something else....like 'unneccessary'.

I hate what has become the new American way of life. I hate to see what happens to towns when the almighty dollar or 'convenience' are concerned - (Route 66 life died so long ago), and more than that - I hate the example being set for future generations. When is enough going to be enough?

I love the thought of 'Restore America' sponsored in part by HGTV. Check it out - a wonderful way to channel out thinking adn our dollars...

You go, SWB. More power to you! KimmeiyKy

Old 01-30-2007, 08:22 PM

234 posts, read 786,241 times
ScrantonWilkesBarre:

Thanks for bringing up this topic! Great posts! Great points too!!

I watched city after city and downtown after downtown get destroyed in So. CA all thru the years. And now, it's happening all over again here in Arizona. (Where we live today!)

I wish that more people would take the time to look at a "larger picture" when it comes to sprawl!

More soon...I'll be back to read more of your posts. Thanks again, Claire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics