Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 17,050 times

Advertisements

I'm so sick of hearing about Paris Hilton. I a female generation X. I don't get it... What happened in the course of 10 years that moved our society to focus on celebrity with no substance. Do we really care about these sluts taking off their clothes... do we want our youth growing up with no regard to education and values... I guess I may be getting old but I just wish some new young, smart and value oriented celebrity would take the attention of our teens today...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 10:00 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,989,349 times
I think you've way overblown the impact of Paris Hilton. And if you think back more than ten years, the celebrity culture has been going on for 30 years or more. Remember when Madonna was doing mock m a stur bation in a wedding gown on the 1984 MTV awards with bloodshot eyes and clearly high?
I wouldn't worry too much about today's youth being too influenced by these "celebrities". They know who's who and what's what. I'd be more concerned with how parents themselves raise their children. I've been so impressed with my younger cousins and how they've been raised to be respectful and place value on hard work and integrity. The parents are key, not people like Paris Hilton whose parents clearly failed her.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:17 AM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I think you've way overblown the impact of Paris Hilton. And if you think back more than ten years, the celebrity culture has been going on for 30 years or more. Remember when Madonna was doing mock m a stur bation in a wedding gown on the 1984 MTV awards with bloodshot eyes and clearly high?
I wouldn't worry too much about today's youth being too influenced by these "celebrities". They know who's who and what's what. I'd be more concerned with how parents themselves raise their children. I've been so impressed with my younger cousins and how they've been raised to be respectful and place value on hard work and integrity. The parents are key, not people like Paris Hilton whose parents clearly failed her.
Well said MoMark, as always. If the parents do their job and teach their kids morals and to respect their bodies then people like Paris and the others will not have any influence over the kids but it all starts at home.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:37 AM

13 posts, read 45,325 times
Default How true It Is!

Roxannel,
You couldn't be more correct! Paris Hilton, while being a child of God, is no example for anyone to follow. She has been pampered all of her life and knows nothing else. Maybe if she spent some time as a garbage person she have a better understanding of lfe and what others go through. Yet she gets stopped for DUI, as have many other folks in the spotlight, and we keep praising them for their ungodly works. I believe that "...by their fruits ye shall know them." That's how we should be looking at our wayward brothers and sisters in this world. The bottom line is that I do not want my girls to emulate Paris as she is nothing but a bad example. Thank you for your wonderful insights. God Bless...M

Old 12-31-2006, 11:59 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD7N View Post
Roxannel,
You couldn't be more correct! Paris Hilton, while being a child of God, is no example for anyone to follow. She has been pampered all of her life and knows nothing else. Maybe if she spent some time as a garbage person she have a better understanding of lfe and what others go through. Yet she gets stopped for DUI, as have many other folks in the spotlight, and we keep praising them for their ungodly works. I believe that "...by their fruits ye shall know them." That's how we should be looking at our wayward brothers and sisters in this world. The bottom line is that I do not want my girls to emulate Paris as she is nothing but a bad example. Thank you for your wonderful insights. God Bless...M
They tried making her do "normal" jobs on The Simple Life, and she turned it into a joke... there was an episode where they were supposed to be hotel maids, and they ended up pretending to be guests & making the real maids clean for them. Some people just have a poor character, money or no money... I do believe she's a bad example for kids, and it's sad how some people emulate her.

To MoMark... while I agree with most of your post, she has more of an impact than you realize. I taught children (aged 8-15) last year, and would constantly hear stuff like "I want to look like 'insert celebrity', so I'm exercising 2 hours a day to lose weight" - I heard this even from 9 year olds! Her overall image, along with the others like Nicole Ritchie & Lindsay Lohan, really can be damaging to kids. She has the right to live and look however she chooses, but she needs to realize that some girls do follow her examples. Being a public figure holds some responsibilites, whether or not she likes it... nobody asked her to be a "media hog", so that's the life she's chosen!

Old 12-31-2006, 12:22 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
She is the poster girl for Being rich does not mean your better. I DO NOT like calling names, but she is a low class bubble headed bimbo. I have not seen anything of value come out of that girl. Her sister on the other hand, alot more here. My daughter will NOT look up to her.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:49 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They tried making her do "normal" jobs on The Simple Life, and she turned it into a joke... there was an episode where they were supposed to be hotel maids, and they ended up pretending to be guests & making the real maids clean for them. Some people just have a poor character, money or no money... I do believe she's a bad example for kids, and it's sad how some people emulate her.

To MoMark... while I agree with most of your post, she has more of an impact than you realize. I taught children (aged 8-15) last year, and would constantly hear stuff like "I want to look like 'insert celebrity', so I'm exercising 2 hours a day to lose weight" - I heard this even from 9 year olds! Her overall image, along with the others like Nicole Ritchie & Lindsay Lohan, really can be damaging to kids. She has the right to live and look however she chooses, but she needs to realize that some girls do follow her examples. Being a public figure holds some responsibilites, whether or not she likes it... nobody asked her to be a "media hog", so that's the life she's chosen!
Well said. I think you can do a wonderful job raising your children and still have them be affected by the garbage we call "entertainment". We can certainly watch over them, and guide them, but the bottom line is we can't completely shelter them. They see the stuff everywhere.

The difference also, with celebrities like Madonna (although I'm no fan), and these girls is that Madonna actually had some talent to bring to the table. These girls and so many "stars" are celebrities for no other reason than the fact that they have money and media coverage.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:10 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Well said. I think you can do a wonderful job raising your children and still have them be affected by the garbage we call "entertainment". We can certainly watch over them, and guide them, but the bottom line is we can't completely shelter them. They see the stuff everywhere.

The difference also, with celebrities like Madonna (although I'm no fan), and these girls is that Madonna actually had some talent to bring to the table. These girls and so many "stars" are celebrities for no other reason than the fact that they have money and media coverage.
So true - to all of this! Madonna does have real talent, which is why she still sells albums 20+ years later... I was a kid when Madonna was in her "hey-day" (the mid-80s), and while she did some racy things, I never felt negatively influenced by her. She was more of a character, and if you think about it, the worst she wore was a pointy bra. And unless I'm forgetting something, Madonna's never had arrests for DUI, public intoxication, drug possession... or anything else Paris, Nicole & Lindsay frequently get. She also doesn't promote that unhealthy body image, since Madonna has always looked VERY healthy and active - not sickly - and could be credited with making Yoga mainstream (something that I personally use for weight maintenance). Oh, and about the - um - self pleasuring , most kids had no clue what that was anyway! I just thought she was having a good dream, LOL.

As for Paris' talent, there's nothing to even discuss, since it's completely non-existent! Her "singing" is a joke, even with major studio tweaking, and she can't act. While I'm in the bashing mood, I should say that I also don't think she's attractive... even for a normal person, quite frankly.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:38 PM

17 posts, read 65,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ummm....They wanted a TV show that would keep an audience. You expected her to actually work as a maid? Her job was being the silly rich girl getting away with something.

Although Fox, et.al. like to throw out how "liberal" Hollywood is, that label only holds for some. The producers and the bankers are still, for the most part, old white men and old white men like their "girls" to be silly, skinny and pretty, much easier to control that way. Until, of course they get to the rebel stage and party too much, but there will always be another pretty lil thing standing in the shadows to take her place. She makes money, everyone talks about her and she gets away with it--why not do it?

I agree about the dieting, etc., but that again falls on parents and society taking a good look at who and what we are. Both of my kids were involved in outside activities and that helped their self esteem. We also had reading times and I was a single mom until my son was about 11 so it wasn't about fancy stuff.

My grandmother lived throuh the flappers, my mother made it through the end of WWII and all the rages then. I made it through Disco and my daughter through the end of the 80's--and society will always make a much bigger deal out of the bad girls than the bad boys.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:40 PM

234 posts, read 786,317 times
Good topic and posts!

I worry about young girls! They are impressionable. I was anorexic for 9 years, trying to look like "Twiggy" and the famous models and celebrities of "my time period."

And back then, the medical community hadn't even identified "anorexia" yet. I was totally on my own. Thank goodness I didn't die!! At some point, I just "woke-up" and worked out my own plan to "get healthy" again!!

I worry about kids today. They are bombarded with so many images on TV, every single day, and videos, computer games, peer pressure from friends, etc.

It seems like Paris Hilton's parents try to gain fame and live vicariously through their daughters. Can't figure them out at all. Thanks for listening, and sharing, Claire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics