Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 09:14 PM

21,568 posts, read 8,745,386 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, February 6, 2022. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aquarius. Some famous people born in this date include baseball legend Babe Ruth, US President Ronald Reagan, actresses Zsa Zsa Gabor and Kathy Najimi; actors Rip Torn and Mike Farrell; film director François Truffaut, TV journalist Tom Brokaw, singers Natalie Cole, Fabian and Bob Marley; and rocker Axl Rose.

Today’s Questions:
Do you own a bathroom scale?

How often do you use it?

What are your hobbies, and how did you become interested in them?

What is the one food item that you never get tired of?

How many different types of hats do you own?

If you had the chance to go up in a spacecraft and experience a few minutes of weightlessness as Elon Musk’s guest, would you go? Why or why not?

What is your least favorite color?

Are you watching the Winter Olympics? If so, which events are you most interested in?

Today in History:
60 – The earliest date for which the day of the week is known. A graffito in Pompeii identifies this day as a dies Solis (Sunday.
1685 – James II of England and VII of Scotland is proclaimed King upon the death of his brother Charles II.
1694 – The warrior queen Dandara, leader of the runaway slaves in Quilombo dos Palmares, Brazil, is captured and commits suicide rather than be returned to a life of slavery.
1778 – American Revolutionary War: In Paris the Treaty of Alliance and the Treaty of Amity and Commerce are signed by the United States and France signaling official recognition of the new republic.
1778 – New York becomes the third state to ratify the Articles of Confederation.
1788 – Massachusetts becomes the sixth state to ratify the United States Constitution.
1819 – Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles founds Singapore.
1820 – The first 86 African American immigrants sponsored by the American Colonization Society depart New York to start a settlement in present-day Liberia.
1840 – Signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, establishing New Zealand as a British colony.
1843 – The first minstrel show in the United States, The Virginia Minstrels, opens at the Bowery Amphitheatre in New York City
1862 – American Civil War: Forces under the command of Ulysses S. Grant and Andrew H. Foote give the Union its first victory of the war, capturing Fort Henry, Tennessee in the Battle of Fort Henry.
1899 – Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris, a peace treaty between the United States and Spain, is ratified by the United States Senate.
1918 – British women over the age of 30 who meet minimum property qualifications, get the right to vote when Representation of the People Act 1918 is passed by Parliament.
1919 – The American Legion is founded.
1951 – The Canadian Army enters combat in the Korean War
1952 – Elizabeth II becomes Queen of the United Kingdom and her other Realms and Territories and Head of the Commonwealth upon the death of her father, George VI. At the exact moment of succession, she was in a tree house at the Treetops Hotel in Kenya.
1959 – Jack Kilby of Texas Instruments files the first patent for an integrated circuit.
1959 – First successful test firing of a Titan intercontinental ballistic missile at Cape Canaveral, Florida.
1976 – In testimony before a United States Senate subcommittee, Lockheed Corporation president Carl Kotchian admits that the company had paid out approximately $3 million in bribes to the office of Japanese Prime Minister Kakuei Tanaka.
1978 – The Blizzard of 1978, one of the worst Nor'easters in New England history, hit the region, with sustained winds of 65 mph and snowfall of four inches an hour.1987 – Justice Mary Gaudron becomes the first woman to be appointed to the High Court of Australia.
1988 – Michael Jordan makes his signature slam dunk from the free throw line inspiring Air Jordan and the Jumpman logo.
1989 – The Round Table Talks start in Poland, thus marking the beginning of the overthrow of communism in Eastern Europe.
1998 – Washington National Airport is renamed Ronald Reagan National Airport.
2018 – SpaceX's Falcon Heavy, a super heavy launch vehicle, makes its maiden flight.

Word of the Day:
rodomontade noun /ˌrädəmənˈtād,ˌrōdəmənˈtād,ˌrädəmənˈtäd,ˌrōdəmənˈtäd/
boastful or inflated talk or behavior.
"The corrupting effect the vogue for macho rodomontade may have even upon a civilized man"

Today’s Quote:
“When I grew up, people said, 'You'll never be the man your dad was.' And I said, 'Gee, I hope not.'”
- Rip Torn

Today Is:
National Chopsticks Day
National Frozen Yogurt Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 10:02 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,570,463 times
Today’s Questions:
Do you own a bathroom scale? Yup

How often do you use it? Just every now and then

What are your hobbies, and how did you become interested in them? Fishing. My dad got me "hooked"

What is the one food item that you never get tired of? Fried chicken

How many different types of hats do you own? Two

If you had the chance to go up in a spacecraft and experience a few minutes of weightlessness as Elon Musk’s guest, would you go? Why or why not? I'd rather keep my feet on the solid ground

What is your least favorite color? Yellow, I guess

Are you watching the Winter Olympics? If so, which events are you most interested in? My wife's the Olympic watcher in our house. She loves the figure skating

Old 02-05-2022, 10:07 PM

11,382 posts, read 9,301,117 times
Today’s Questions:
Do you own a bathroom scale? - Nope.

What are your hobbies, and how did you become interested in them? - D/K if this counts but now that I have more time and feel more comfortable going out in certain settings, I have been watching and attending more women's college basketball games lately. Great fun / entertainment and very cheap which is going to help allow me to go more often for the balance of their short season. A very underrated sport in my eyes.

I like to cook and fix my own meals. Back when I was 20 I got to be friends with someone who was 24. We worked indirectly for the same company. He had me over for dinner a few times and I ate many things for the first time. Learned from him by far the most. We are still friends 47 years later.

Walking / general exercise. Most of my life I've been athletic. I played softball in leagues until I was 31 yo.

I like to listen to music and attend live shows, especially in small venues. Used to go often before the pandemic. Got into music on my own and when I was very young fooling around with a transistor radio.

What is the one food item that you never get tired of? - Tie between chocolate muffins, pizza, and ice cream. I eat very healthy otherwise but those 3 are weaknesses.

How many different types of hats do you own? - Regular wool type for winter, and some baseball types.

If you had the chance to go up in a spacecraft and experience a few minutes of weightlessness as Elon Musk’s guest, would you go? Why or why not? - I'll stay as far away from Elon Musk as possible. Regardless I have no interest in experiencing that.

What is your least favorite color? - IDK.

Are you watching the Winter Olympics? If so, which events are you most interested in? - Not watching and have no plans to.

Thanks, Bay!

Old 02-05-2022, 10:34 PM

14,808 posts, read 8,137,037 times
Today’s Questions:

How often do you use it?
Rarely
Reading- always loved to read

Cooking-it's fun when you enjoy a certain chore! I like trying new recipes.

Word games on the internet like scrabble and wordle - I always have liked to play word games.

(I have only played wordle for 6 days...it is one word per day you get

but I have guessed all 6 words...tonight was close!

surfing the web -always something interesting going on online.

Taking care of animals-no offense to people, but I like animals even better than people -at least some of the time or most of the time.

I like to watch some sports like College Basketball and the Winter Olympics.
It's fun!

Ice Cream or Pizza maybe
None (My coat has a hood)
If you had the chance to go up in a spacecraft and experience a few minutes of weightlessness as Elon Musk’s guest, would you go? Why or why not?
No thanks! I don't like heights and am not interested at all.

Are you watching the Winter Olympics? If so, which events are you most interested in?
Yes! I love the winter Olympics. I esp. love the figure skating and ice dancing...but also like skiing, Luge, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions of the Day for Sunday, February 6, 2022-fullscreen-capture-262022-125213-am.jpg  

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 02-05-2022 at 10:55 PM..

Old 02-05-2022, 10:52 PM

44,652 posts, read 61,699,241 times
Today’s Questions:
Do you own a bathroom scale? Yes and it's paid for free & clear.

How often do you use it? Once every 3-5 years.

What are your hobbies, and how did you become interested in them? Use to be bowling, but now it's primarily crossword puzzles.

What is the one food item that you never get tired of? Anything peanut butter.

How many different types of hats do you own? 2, one baseball and one cowboy.

If you had the chance to go up in a spacecraft and experience a few minutes of weightlessness as Elon Musk’s guest, would you go? Why or why not? Sure I'd go, why, just for the heck of it.

What is your least favorite color? Puce.

Are you watching the Winter Olympics? If so, which events are you most interested in? Have only seen about 5 minutes of it. Sunday I may watch some if I have nothing better to do.

Bay

Old 02-06-2022, 12:14 AM

61,884 posts, read 87,361,740 times
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, February 6, 2022. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aquarius. Some famous people born in this date include baseball legend Babe Ruth, US President Ronald Reagan, actresses Zsa Zsa Gabor and Kathy Najimi; actors Rip Torn and Mike Farrell; film director François Truffaut, TV journalist Tom Brokaw, singers Natalie Cole, Fabian and Bob Marley; and rocker Axl Rose.

Today’s Questions:

Yes.

How often do you use it?

Maybe once a month. Not expecting any changes - I have pretty constant weight since my 20's

Over my lifetime - many, and too many to list. Mostly due to my untamed curiosity.

Soups.

I don't wear any, so maybe two.... Somewhere forgotten on the bottom of a drawer?

Absolutely!!!! Why would I rob myself of such amazing opportunity?

Brown

Yes. I like to watch ski jumping, skating,
and ice hockey

Today in History:
60 – The earliest date for which the day of the week is known. A graffito in Pompeii identifies this day as a dies Solis (Sunday.
1685 – James II of England and VII of Scotland is proclaimed King upon the death of his brother Charles II.
1694 – The warrior queen Dandara, leader of the runaway slaves in Quilombo dos Palmares, Brazil, is captured and commits suicide rather than be returned to a life of slavery.
1778 – American Revolutionary War: In Paris the Treaty of Alliance and the Treaty of Amity and Commerce are signed by the United States and France signaling official recognition of the new republic.
1778 – New York becomes the third state to ratify the Articles of Confederation.
1788 – Massachusetts becomes the sixth state to ratify the United States Constitution.
1819 – Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles founds Singapore.
1820 – The first 86 African American immigrants sponsored by the American Colonization Society depart New York to start a settlement in present-day Liberia.
1840 – Signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, establishing New Zealand as a British colony.
1843 – The first minstrel show in the United States, The Virginia Minstrels, opens at the Bowery Amphitheatre in New York City
1862 – American Civil War: Forces under the command of Ulysses S. Grant and Andrew H. Foote give the Union its first victory of the war, capturing Fort Henry, Tennessee in the Battle of Fort Henry.
1899 – Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris, a peace treaty between the United States and Spain, is ratified by the United States Senate.
1918 – British women over the age of 30 who meet minimum property qualifications, get the right to vote when Representation of the People Act 1918 is passed by Parliament.
1919 – The American Legion is founded.
1951 – The Canadian Army enters combat in the Korean War
1952 – Elizabeth II becomes Queen of the United Kingdom and her other Realms and Territories and Head of the Commonwealth upon the death of her father, George VI. At the exact moment of succession, she was in a tree house at the Treetops Hotel in Kenya.
1959 – Jack Kilby of Texas Instruments files the first patent for an integrated circuit.
1959 – First successful test firing of a Titan intercontinental ballistic missile at Cape Canaveral, Florida.
1976 – In testimony before a United States Senate subcommittee, Lockheed Corporation president Carl Kotchian admits that the company had paid out approximately $3 million in bribes to the office of Japanese Prime Minister Kakuei Tanaka.
1978 – The Blizzard of 1978, one of the worst Nor'easters in New England history, hit the region, with sustained winds of 65 mph and snowfall of four inches an hour.1987 – Justice Mary Gaudron becomes the first woman to be appointed to the High Court of Australia.
1988 – Michael Jordan makes his signature slam dunk from the free throw line inspiring Air Jordan and the Jumpman logo.
1989 – The Round Table Talks start in Poland, thus marking the beginning of the overthrow of communism in Eastern Europe.
1998 – Washington National Airport is renamed Ronald Reagan National Airport.
2018 – SpaceX's Falcon Heavy, a super heavy launch vehicle, makes its maiden flight.

Word of the Day:
rodomontade noun /ˌrädəmənˈtād,ˌrōdəmənˈtād,ˌrädəmən ˈtäd,ˌrōdəmənˈtäd/
"The corrupting effect the vogue for macho rodomontade may have even upon a civilized man" <<< A good word to remember!

Today’s Quote:
“When I grew up, people said, 'You'll never be the man your dad was.' And I said, 'Gee, I hope not.'”
- Rip Torn <<< lol

Today Is:
National Chopsticks Day

Thank you, Bayarea!!

Old 02-06-2022, 01:55 AM

16,686 posts, read 17,457,574 times
Bonjour Bay!

Today’s Questions:
Do you own a bathroom scale? Yes

How often do you use it? Sorry?

Table tennis, through my dad: general curiosity and a desire to find out about things since a young age: History, cos there's a lot of it about: Art, mainly older stuff through working in a Stately Home with an amazing private collection: Quizzes, which I've done and also set for many a year.

Simple country cooking.

Oh heck! Loads. Trilbys, fedora, Western hat, US Aviator hat, flat caps, newsboy hats, baseball type hats, beanie, Panama hats, other summer type hats, deer stalker (now gone). I just love having and wearing them!

I would be more interested in the views.

Not sure- in the right place any colour can look good.

Are you watching the Winter Olympics? If so, which events are you most interested in? Nope.

Thanks Bay!

Old 02-06-2022, 03:02 AM

30,582 posts, read 16,268,237 times
Today’s Questions:
yup but it's in the bedroom so must be a bedroom scale?

How often do you use it?
any time I want to get depressed.

currently quilting. Not sure how I got into it. Seeing the local quilt guild show might have had an influence.

chocolate

no-I rather like staying on the ground.

yellow

nope.

thanks, BA

Old 02-06-2022, 05:31 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,399,892 times
Good Morning

Today’s Questions:

How often do you use it? About twice a week

What are your hobbies, and how did you become interested in them? Sewing. My mother--she made us an entire Barbie wardrobe, they were amazing. I still have a few. So from a very young age I was inspired and had easy access a needles, threads and fabric, around age four.

What is the one food item that you never get tired of? Pizza

How many different types of hats do you own? hmmm, different types--probably three.

If you had the chance to go up in a spacecraft and experience a few minutes of weightlessness as Elon Musk’s guest, would you go? Why or why not? Yes--it would be an interesting experience.

What is your least favorite color? Red

Are you watching the Winter Olympics? If so, which events are you most interested in? I used to be really into them--then I watched the documentary "Icarus". I lost faith--so much cheating going on. What is the sense of watching the Olympics if they are not a fair contest for the medals? I can't watch them in good faith. Pretty sad adults cannot be trusted.

Today in History:
1978 – The Blizzard of 1978, one of the worst Nor'easters in New England history, hit the region, with sustained winds of 65 mph and snowfall of four inches an hour.1987 – I do remember that one--I do think the Blizzards we got several years ago tops that one--it was two blizzards in a row in the same week. I remember our snow piles next to our driveway went over four feet!

Thanks for the History lesson Bay

Word of the Day:
rodomontade
I have worked next to someone like that the last two days

Today’s Quote:
- Rip Torn

Today Is:
National Chopsticks Day

Enjoy the day!

Old 02-06-2022, 05:47 AM

50,400 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Today’s Questions:

Do you own a bathroom scale? Yes

How often do you use it? Not very often.

What are your hobbies, and how did you become interested in them? Gardening, sewing, needlework and cooking. I guess if you’re driven to make things pretty, you learn to make and do things yourself.

What is the one food item that you never get tired of? Hamburgers

How many different types of hats do you own? One hat with a brim for gardening.

If you had the chance to go up in a spacecraft and experience a few minutes of weightlessness as Elon Musk’s guest, would you go? Why or why not? No, I’d be too scared. I like my feet on solid ground.

What is your least favorite color? Tan

Are you watching the Winter Olympics? If so, which events are you most interested in? Not so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics