Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 01:39 PM

690 posts, read 648,496 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I get a lot of mailings from charities and it seems like it's increasing. First, there were general solicitations for money. Then came things like address labels and notepads. Yesterday I received a bigger envelope that had of all things a reusable totebag with the name of the charity on the side. I'm guessing charities budget for this or perhaps someone donates money to fund the mailings. Whatever. I just find it annoying. I have requested that my name be removed from some of these lists. Then for whatever reason I receive a general mailing sent to "Gracious Resident" or something vague like that to my address. It just doesn't end. Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 03:47 PM

31,341 posts, read 14,346,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
Hi,

I get a lot of mailings from charities and it seems like it's increasing. First, there were general solicitations for money. Then came things like address labels and notepads. Yesterday I received a bigger envelope that had of all things a reusable totebag with the name of the charity on the side. I'm guessing charities budget for this or perhaps someone donates money to fund the mailings. Whatever. I just find it annoying. I have requested that my name be removed from some of these lists. Then for whatever reason I receive a general mailing sent to "Gracious Resident" or something vague like that to my address. It just doesn't end. Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks!
Yes. you give to one or two of them - like I do - and you find your information sold around to other charities.
I tried to fight that battle for a while, calling / emailing them to get nam off the list, but to no avail.
Now I just ignore them.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:37 AM

24,538 posts, read 26,094,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Yes. you give to one or two of them - like I do - and you find your information sold around to other charities.
I tried to fight that battle for a while, calling / emailing them to get nam off the list, but to no avail.
Now I just ignore them.
And put the stuff in the trash.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:53 AM

30,648 posts, read 16,313,181 times
yup. I keep the notepads and address labels. Seldom get anything else.

I especially hate the ones that say I'm a member. They're a charity not a club. If they want me to 'renew my membership' it definitely gets trashed (meaning recycled).

Old 05-22-2022, 11:02 AM

20,792 posts, read 4,508,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
Hi,

Thanks!
All the time. Heck I have over 1000+ address labels that I've been sent over the years. Plenty of stickers, notepads, calendar pad, nickels, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I tried to fight that battle for a while, calling / emailing them to get name off the list, but to no avail.
Now I just ignore them.
You donate to them, they will keep coming hard. Once they get a live one, they share(sell) it fast.

"Oh I Got A Live One Here" [start video at 0:32]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utj9gV5t_uQ

Old 05-22-2022, 11:04 AM

13,110 posts, read 7,580,788 times
yep.
and it all goes into the recycle bin.

Old 05-22-2022, 12:43 PM

1,961 posts, read 709,609 times
Yes! I would get tons of them. I finally called the top 5 repeat offenders to remove me from their list and they did stop.
I sent several requests by mail to the American Red Cross because they were sending requests
twice a week! I had donated to them in the past (were a lot of natural disasters). I also wrote to one charity
that would send packets of their guilt gifts which clogged my mailbox in the apt lobby! They also stopped.
My church will take up a collection at times for a disaster or crisis and I don't mind giving through them.

Years ago, I worked a night shift. When I'd return from work, I'd check the caller id on the tv. For a while, the
charities were calling like gangbusters! The calls were coming every 15 minutes apart (like contractions -).
When I was home and saw a charity calling on the tv caller ID, I'd hold the phone up to a Youtube recording of
"The number you have reached is not in service." I'd sometimes answer the phone posing as a realtor from
a real estate office. Eventually, the calls stopped.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:14 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,594,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
yup. I keep the notepads and address labels. Seldom get anything else.
I used to keep the free return address labels. Wrote my parents using one from the March of Dimes once. My dad called me and said he didn't think it was right to use them. The charity expects a donation before they are used. I started thinking about it and since then all the labels, note pads, etc. go in file 13.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:41 PM

21,598 posts, read 8,767,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I used to keep the free return address labels. Wrote my parents using one from the March of Dimes once. My dad called me and said he didn't think it was right to use them. The charity expects a donation before they are used. I started thinking about it and since then all the labels, note pads, etc. go in file 13.
The law says that any time you receive merchandise in the mail that you did not order, you can keep it and have no obligation to pay. This is equally true of unsolicited items sent by charities. That said, I throw most of those address labels, stickers and note cards out anyway because they're not my taste.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:47 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,410,365 times
Makes one want to never donate to a charity.

They sell your address so fast. All those freebies--wish they would just stop spending that extra money on that stuff.

A young co worker of mine wanted to know where she could get return address labels--I told her to donate to one charity, in a few weeks she would have plenty address labels!

So frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics