Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 03:13 PM

210 posts, read 744,921 times

Advertisements

Here is my question, stupid it may be but here it goes. The closer to the sun that you get, the hotter it is correct? Then why is there snow on top of the mountains around here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 04:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
It's all relative....

We are too far away from the sun for the difference in distance between sea level and mountain tops to be a factor. We are, however, surrounded by space, and space is cold, very cold. So the closer to space we get the thinner the atmosphere (it has to end somewhere) and the colder it is. Once we get past our atmosphere the temperature drops close to absolute zero (0 kelvin).

Old 06-06-2008, 05:20 PM

210 posts, read 744,921 times
Default t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It's all relative....

We are too far away from the sun for the difference in distance between sea level and mountain tops to be a factor. We are, however, surrounded by space, and space is cold, very cold. So the closer to space we get the thinner the atmosphere (it has to end somewhere) and the colder it is. Once we get past our atmosphere the temperature drops close to absolute zero (0 kelvin).
Thankyou!!! I feal............ Enlightened!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:00 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
Stolen from Wikipedia:
Mountains are colder than lower ground, because the Sun heats Earth from the ground up. The Sun's radiation travels through the atmosphere to the ground, where Earth absorbs the heat. Air closest to the Earth's surface is, in general, warmest (see lapse rate for details). Air as high as a mountain is poorly warmed and, therefore, cold.[9] Air temperature normally drops 1 to 2 degrees Celsius (1.8 to 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) for each 300 meters (1000 feet) of altitude.

Here is the link:
Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
here is a question for you Allison,see if you know.Why does the southern hemisphere have reverse seasons from the northern?Christmas happens in summertime in Australia

Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 AM

In the same vein: Why does the water rotate in the opposite direction when you drain a sink in the southern hemisphere? As do tornadoes and hurricanes?

Old 06-08-2008, 08:59 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
In the same vein: Why does the water rotate in the opposite direction when you drain a sink in the southern hemisphere? As do tornadoes and hurricanes?
Actually it doesn't. Drains aren't big enough to experience the coriolis effect. The direction the water goes down a drain has to do with assymmetries (sp? I'm too lazy to look it up today) in the sink/tub.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonguru View Post
Here is my question, stupid it may be but here it goes. The closer to the sun that you get, the hotter it is correct? Then why is there snow on top of the mountains around here?
Hmmm? Not sure but I'll take a guess. Less atmosphere to hold heat in?

I don't think the distance from ocean level to mountain top is really enough for it to make much difference in the temperature but atmospheric pressure is quite different on the top of a mountain so there's less atmosphere to hold heat which radiates up from the ground.

I'm certifed to teath chemistry, physics and math not earth science so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Doh, should have read the other posts before I posted my answer. At least I was right.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
here is a question for you Allison,see if you know.Why does the southern hemisphere have reverse seasons from the northern?Christmas happens in summertime in Australia
Interesting question to ask. A little trivia on this one. MOST college grads get it wrong. Many people are of the mistaken impression that it has to do with the earth's orbit around the sun being eliptical (it's almost circular). It doesn't.

Second bit of trivia: The reason many people think the orbit is elipitical and misakenly think that has to do with seasons is that most texts show an angled view of the solar system (not edge on but not looking directly down either) and draw in the orbits, so it looks eliptical (a circile viewed from an angle looks eliptical) when it's really just about circular. This belief appears to have been carried into adulthood by many. It's so strong most college grads think this is the reason (well the non science majors anyway).

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-08-2008 at 09:15 AM..

Old 06-08-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Actually it doesn't. Drains aren't big enough to experience the coriolis effect. The direction the water goes down a drain has to do with assymmetries (sp? I'm too lazy to look it up today) in the sink/tub.

Actually, they are. Samantha Brown did a bit on it in Ecuador. They had two tubs full of water, one on the North side of the equator, one on the South side. They filled each with water and pulled the plugs. The water ran in opposite directions as it drained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics